Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Low Speed Adrenalin Rush!

Just finished a singlehanded sail around the harbor. I got back in my car when I was done and thought wow…what a rush! I have head that same feeling before, but it was in a very different environment. Doing 135 mph on a Ninja ZX-6R. Check. Doing 165 in a Porsche Carrera 4. Check. Doing 5 mph in a boat. WHAT? How is it that I can get that same feeling or even a better one from such a low speed experience? I have put a lot of thought to it and I still can’t figure it out. Its the same reason that the Vikings wanted to be buried at sea. The same reason people live on boats and sail the world. There is something thats magical when you are out in the water and there is no motor and the boat is moving along in the wind. Is it adrenalin or is it zen? Yes maybe zen is more accurate. That state of mind where you are at one with your environment and at peace with the world. Where you and your boat are both working in unison to move through the wind. Where your mind is in the moment and you don’t have a care in the world. Sailing is one of the few activities I have done where 100% of my conscious mind is focused on the activity. All my senses are taking in the environment as I analyze the wind, water and the surroundings looking for any clues that may help me squeeze another half of knot of speed out of the current conditions. My mind has let go completely the stresses of the regular world. The utility bills don’t exist. I don’t care when the new iPhone is coming out. I don’t care that I will be at work tomorrow morning at 8 am. The only thing I am focused on is the windex showing me the direction the wind is coming from and how my sails are trimmed. This is bliss.

More stuff like this on my blog here
CalebD and smackdaddy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough

Grace agrees

Wait till you sail off into the sunset on the ocean
smackdaddy, cb32863 and arknoah like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 10-01-2011

ctl411 is on a distinguished road
I have had the same thing 180 mph on gsx 1000 . I used to hang with a group that was shocked to find out I sailed until they went out small craft warning sailing with me . Speed is different on each thing bicycles dirt bikes street bikes power boats all have a different feel.
Old 10-01-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Newport,

Well said ! Nice looking boat. Good idea to retain the name.

If you are in Newport Harbor today of tomorrow you see 30+ Harbor 20s racing. It is their annual class championships.

Next year start considering entering one of the low key PHRF twilight races. Races inside the Harbor are all non-spinnaker. You will have a blast and the social aspects are worth it.
NewportNewbie likes this.
Old 10-01-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
Beautifully well written and expressive, Newport. I am confident that you speak for most if not all of us.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Old 10-01-2011

donlofland is on a distinguished road
tommays-
Grace-too cute!
Sunset- ahhhh...

NewportNewbie-last week enjoyed getting the rail down, 20-?25 knots of wind, boat going5-6 knots, 80% jib, full main, solo-sweet, and absolutely know what you mean!
Old 10-01-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
It's my opinion that there is no other sport which can be so exhilarating or so relaxing.
NewportNewbie likes this.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 10-02-2011
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road
Newbie,

You've inspired me to change the appearance of my blog to the same Twenty Eleven design you have. Your blog is awesome! I'm also a very new sailor, and I am really enjoying the learning process -- and wish I lived where I could sail safely for more than 6 or 7 months.

Fair winds

Old 10-02-2011
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Newport... you most perfectly express why we all sail.

My wife doesn't quite get it yet. She loves the "serenity" when the weather is calm and we sail at sunset. She doesn't understand the "Yee Ha" at 6 knots yet. Because I have not done it yet, I am going to take ASA 101, and also sign her up for it. The fun part is our local chapter uses the same exact boat as me! hehe.

Newport it is fun seeing you get out and learn more and grow with your boat! Keep up the posts... It's like reliving it all over again for us!
Old 10-02-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
Just finished a singlehanded sail around the harbor. I got back in my car when I was done and thought wow…what a rush! I have head that same feeling before, but it was in a very different environment. Doing 135 mph on a Ninja ZX-6R. Check. Doing 165 in a Porsche Carrera 4. Check. Doing 5 mph in a boat. WHAT? How is it that I can get that same feeling or even a better one from such a low speed experience? I have put a lot of thought to it and I still can’t figure it out. Its the same reason that the Vikings wanted to be buried at sea. The same reason people live on boats and sail the world. There is something thats magical when you are out in the water and there is no motor and the boat is moving along in the wind. Is it adrenalin or is it zen? Yes maybe zen is more accurate. That state of mind where you are at one with your environment and at peace with the world. Where you and your boat are both working in unison to move through the wind. Where your mind is in the moment and you don’t have a care in the world. Sailing is one of the few activities I have done where 100% of my conscious mind is focused on the activity. All my senses are taking in the environment as I analyze the wind, water and the surroundings looking for any clues that may help me squeeze another half of knot of speed out of the current conditions. My mind has let go completely the stresses of the regular world. The utility bills don’t exist. I don’t care when the new iPhone is coming out. I don’t care that I will be at work tomorrow morning at 8 am. The only thing I am focused on is the windex showing me the direction the wind is coming from and how my sails are trimmed. This is bliss.

More stuff like this on my blog here
Okay - this is going in the "Salt's..." thread.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40