SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Low Speed Adrenalin Rush!

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  CalebD 
#1 ·
Just finished a singlehanded sail around the harbor. I got back in my car when I was done and thought wow…what a rush! I have head that same feeling before, but it was in a very different environment. Doing 135 mph on a Ninja ZX-6R. Check. Doing 165 in a Porsche Carrera 4. Check. Doing 5 mph in a boat. WHAT? How is it that I can get that same feeling or even a better one from such a low speed experience? I have put a lot of thought to it and I still can't figure it out. Its the same reason that the Vikings wanted to be buried at sea. The same reason people live on boats and sail the world. There is something thats magical when you are out in the water and there is no motor and the boat is moving along in the wind. Is it adrenalin or is it zen? Yes maybe zen is more accurate. That state of mind where you are at one with your environment and at peace with the world. Where you and your boat are both working in unison to move through the wind. Where your mind is in the moment and you don't have a care in the world. Sailing is one of the few activities I have done where 100% of my conscious mind is focused on the activity. All my senses are taking in the environment as I analyze the wind, water and the surroundings looking for any clues that may help me squeeze another half of knot of speed out of the current conditions. My mind has let go completely the stresses of the regular world. The utility bills don't exist. I don't care when the new iPhone is coming out. I don't care that I will be at work tomorrow morning at 8 am. The only thing I am focused on is the windex showing me the direction the wind is coming from and how my sails are trimmed. This is bliss.

More stuff like this on my blog here

See less See more
#3 ·
I have had the same thing 180 mph on gsx 1000 . I used to hang with a group that was shocked to find out I sailed until they went out small craft warning sailing with me . Speed is different on each thing bicycles dirt bikes street bikes power boats all have a different feel.

#4 ·
Newport,

Well said ! Nice looking boat. Good idea to retain the name.

If you are in Newport Harbor today of tomorrow you see 30+ Harbor 20s racing. It is their annual class championships.

Next year start considering entering one of the low key PHRF twilight races. Races inside the Harbor are all non-spinnaker. You will have a blast and the social aspects are worth it.

Reactions: NewportNewbie
#8 ·
Newbie,

You've inspired me to change the appearance of my blog to the same Twenty Eleven design you have. Your blog is awesome! I'm also a very new sailor, and I am really enjoying the learning process -- and wish I lived where I could sail safely for more than 6 or 7 months.

Fair winds

#9 ·
Newport... you most perfectly express why we all sail.

My wife doesn't quite get it yet. She loves the "serenity" when the weather is calm and we sail at sunset. She doesn't understand the "Yee Ha" at 6 knots yet. Because I have not done it yet, I am going to take ASA 101, and also sign her up for it. The fun part is our local chapter uses the same exact boat as me! hehe.

Newport it is fun seeing you get out and learn more and grow with your boat! Keep up the posts... It's like reliving it all over again for us!

#13 ·
Nicely said.
Being out on the water is great way to clear your mind. My boat partner and I had our wives along for a short (<2hr) sail on the Hudson late this afternoon (winds S < 12). Everyone came back more relaxed and happier because of the experience except perhaps the 8 year old who was fixated on his computer game. He missed the whole experience and the reason everyone else enjoyed it.
Our boat is pretty old school as well, a Tartan 27' from 1967. The Shock 30' seems like a great boat too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.