Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Now, I'm guessing you don't have a smaller headsail, but that is something to think about for the future.
If so, drop the Genoa and go Main only when the wind picks up. No shame in that. In fact, I think it's a good idea to try sailing under Main, or Headsail only, to learn how your boat reacts to both.
dhays likes this.

Last edited by L124C; 10-05-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
My hunter 25 makes almost zero progress in any conditions under main only. I don't understand why, if it is so ineffective by itself, when releasing it in a gust with the 110 genoa up, it totally de-powers the boat...
Old 10-05-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
My hunter 25 makes almost zero progress in any conditions under main only. I don't understand why, if it is so ineffective by itself, when releasing it in a gust with the 110 genoa up, it totally de-powers the boat...
Because the two sails work together. The jib guides air around the main. The action of the main and jib together is greater than the sum of their individual effects.
Old 10-05-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
True, but I've been on other boats that will go under main alone, just slower. Recently I was on a j-24 with a reefed main, in extremely windy conditions, and I was screaming along. Mine almost stands still under main alone.
Old 10-05-2011
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
"When in doubt, let it out." Applies to mainsheet trim and most interpersonal situations.
But not flatulence, I've been told.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-05-2011
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Fractional rigs generally depower quicker by dumping the main, than mastheads. Depends on the boat. What these guys are saying is spot on. The jib channels, turbos, wind around the main, making it more efficient (faster). Also the jib provides its own lift (we are talking to windward)... Sailing DDW, or broad reach it's a square footage race, the more you have the faster you go. If you are trying to depower broad reaching, you can head more DDW, and blanket the jib some with the main. Most people don't have much need to depower down wind.
Old 10-05-2011

JedNeck is on a distinguished road
For clarity I don't run the main and 160 in 30+...just an example to try to bracket in the sane limit for my boat.

I have four headsails. A very light 160(down wind "gennaker", maybe), a 153% Genoa, a 130% Genoa, and a 110% #1 jib(wraps the shrouds by 1' when pulled tight).

At what wind speed, approxamitly, would I use each head sail? When would I douse the headsail and go to main only? When should I reef?

How much heel angle is dangerous?

I am sure the boat is much more daring than myself and the GF is not scared of healing at all. Much to my shagrin...that means I have to admit I am leveling out the boat for me.

The boat sails well under main only. I have been playing with the vang and traveler. I find it much easier and faster to control boom swing with the sheet on the vang rather than the traveler.
Old 10-05-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
For less heel use the 110 in winds over about 15 knots.
Use the 130 or the other bigger jennies in lighter winds or as conditions dictate.
The bigger jibs will be helpful in light winds on downwind tacks. For windy conditions the 110 should be your choice of sail.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-05-2011

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
after 15-20 degrees you waste speed to resistance this is why racers hike out and sit on the rails. -Dale
Old 10-06-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedNeck View Post
For clarity I don't run the main and 160 in 30+...just an example to try to bracket in the sane limit for my boat.

I have four headsails. A very light 160(down wind "gennaker", maybe), a 153% Genoa, a 130% Genoa, and a 110% #1 jib(wraps the shrouds by 1' when pulled tight).

At what wind speed, approxamitly, would I use each head sail? When would I douse the headsail and go to main only? When should I reef?

How much heel angle is dangerous?

I am sure the boat is much more daring than myself and the GF is not scared of healing at all. Much to my shagrin...that means I have to admit I am leveling out the boat for me.

The boat sails well under main only. I have been playing with the vang and traveler. I find it much easier and faster to control boom swing with the sheet on the vang rather than the traveler.
Well it's a more complicated equation than wind strength. The short answer is, you reduce sail when you feel overpowered.

The long answer is, whether you feel overpowered depends on a number of factors :

Racing or cruising?
Solo or with crew (solo it's harder to release that jib sheet AND to shorten sail!)
Experience of you and your crew.
Gusty wind (lake) or steady?
How screwed would you be in a knock down or capsize? (distance from land, water temperature, etc)

Sailing solo in my centreboard daysailer in SF bay I am very conservative. I'd be in big trouble in a capsize. I just use the 90% all the time.

Racing with a couple of experienced crew in a stiff keelboat is a different matter.