Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011

JordanH is on a distinguished road
There are lots of good thoughts above; I have also pondered the weight question quite a bit as I'm 5'8" and 120lbs.

There are pros and cons to being a small, lightweight. If you are racing on a weight-limited crew, your lack of mass at the helm can allow you to have a beefier mainsheet trimmer or extra rail meat. On the other hand, if you are racing something that requires the skipper to also be ballast, it can work against you.

Here's an interesting article (Canadian Yachting Association - National Sailing Teams) Note the sections on the 470 vs. the Star. You'll see that the average weight for the Star's crew is 420lbs - you're going to have a tough time finding a 320lbs, lean, mean crewing machine to help you out in that campaign.

From a leadership perspective, humans are drawn to physically dominant leaders. The implications of that are vast and should be considered from multiple perspectives. In the end, the skipper needs to be the source of strength on the team - everyone looks to you when situations aren't ideal.

From a physical perspective, you'll have to consider your job on the boat and the equipment available. A 100lbs person is at a disadvantage if there isn't sufficient mechanical advantage on the mainsheet or if you need to take over some other high-power job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydrnyc View Post
I'm 5'0, 100llbs, will I make a good offshore/dinghy sailor? Also, because of my height/weight, is it possible that this could affect me negatively if I want to skipper?
To answer your questions directly;
Q1. Will you make a good offshore or dinghy sailor?
A1. Your sailing aptitude is not proportional to your height or your weight.

Q2. Is it possible that this could affect you negatively?
A2. Absolutely. All else equal, a boat owner will not hire a skinny, mediocre skipper if there is a strong, strapping, mediocre skipper available. The same reason they'd elect him class president, pick him first to play baseball and be picked up at the local bar. You've got to work harder than the next guy... or buy your own boat. :-)

... I have quite a few thoughts on this subject "as crew" but will save them until the question is asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Thread is useless with out pics. Extra points for a coozie worn like a hat.
Old 10-07-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Do tall people make good sailors?

I have generally found that strong tall people with inflated egos are easy to con. So tall strong people probably make good crews.
Old 10-10-2011

HELLICONIA54 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydrnyc View Post
I am talking about racing and I would very much like to hear you comment, even if its bad.
OK ,my wife (4'9")will kill me if she reads this.When we sail our friends boomerang20,. when she heels,we all brace our feet on opposite side of cockpit ,My wife the Hobbit has to use the companionway.Going to be a lot of fun when we start sailing our hartley ts16.The cockpit is a lot wider than the boomerang.In a Flying Dutchman they want 6' plus and built like a brick dunny on trapeeze.Other than that? nah! you'll be fine...
Old 10-10-2011

HELLICONIA54 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLICONIA54 View Post
OK ,my wife (4'9")will kill me if she reads this.When we sail our friends boomerang20,. when she heels,we all brace our feet on opposite side of cockpit ,My wife the Hobbit has to use the companionway.Going to be a lot of fun when we start sailing our hartley ts16.The cockpit is a lot wider than the boomerang.In a Flying Dutchman they want 6' plus and built like a brick dunny on trapeeze.Other than that? nah! you'll be fine...
Hmmm Can i fit seat belts to stop her sliding off the benches when we heel?
Old 10-10-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
As is often the case in surfing, dinghy sailors of smaller stature can be very successful indeed. Lower centre of gravity maybe ?

All i know is that I am tall and spindly (more so when I was a young bloke than today) and I was absolute rubbish as a surfer and dinghy sailor. Oh yes .. and riding bikes as well.
Tall and spindly hey furball...

Actually no sailor likes the sound of surf especially when at anchor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-10-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Tall and spindly hey furball...

Actually no sailor likes the sound of surf especially when at anchor.
'fraid so mate. I really should have chosen a constipated ostrich rather than a wombat, but as i said the years have not been kind, the legs are still beanpoles but they now have to support a spare tyre.

What I find interesting is that when I was a young pratt six feet was considered tall ... not any more.

So I guess spindly gone to seed would be a better description.

Tall and Spindly ?? Bit of a tautology there rodent. tsk tsk.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
'fraid so mate. I really should have chosen a constipated ostrich rather than a wombat, but as i said the years have not been kind, the legs are still beanpoles but they now have to support a spare tyre.

What I find interesting is that when I was a young pratt six feet was considered tall ... not any more.

So I guess spindly gone to seed would be a better description.

Tall and Spindly ?? Bit of a tautology there rodent. tsk tsk.
So, an emo emu... - Dont take it to heart

Quite the opposite of a pocket rocket , about which this thread is attempting to follow...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-10-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Of course "Short People" make good sailors... Who do you think we have clean the bilges under the engine and clean out the ballest tanks on the work boats... They are perfectly sized for that kind of labor....

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 10-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Of course "Short People" make good sailors... Who do you think we have clean the bilges under the engine and clean out the ballest tanks on the work boats... They are perfectly sized for that kind of labor....
Of course since the child labour laws limit the opportunity to stuff young short people into the bilge.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.