SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Looking for a 6 to 10 HP Outboard for Salt Water

5K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  vistastang 
#1 · (Edited)
I apologize if this thread is in the wrong place. As the title describes I am looking for an outboard motor to use on my newly acquired 1969 Coronado. I live in Pasadena MD. I looked at the classifieds but they date back to 2003 so I'm not really sure how reliable the ads are. I am on a budget of course or I'd be looking at new motors. The Coronado has a "engine well" that would accept a short shaft and it also has a transom mount that requires a long shaft. I have a Wards 7hp Sea King motor to sell or trade but it doesn't have reverse so it wouldn't work for me. Looking for a reliable later model engine. Thank you.

#5 ·
We had a Coronado 25 on San Francisco bay. Started with a 6HP which was OK for calm waters but at times marginal for inside and outside the bay. Went to a 15HP and it was plenty. Probably a 9.9HP would have been OK.
Suggest you go for a long shaft and stay with the well. Have seen a number of good looking motors on our local Craigslist. If I was to do it over I would get an electric start motor. good luck in your search.

Dabnis

#4 ·
Your trying to buy what everybody wants and is not likely to sell if it is in good condition :)

Mostly they dont get cared for till they break and about that tiime saltwater has done its thing making the taking apart and ordeal

#6 · (Edited)
Really an electric motor? You know your are the 2nd person who suggested that. Could you elaborate a bit more? Why would you go electric? At most I will have only two batteries and how far could that take me! Would you carry a generator for re-charging the batteries? I'm assuming you mean like a trolling type motor and if so if it were you appx what size would you be looking for? I should read more carefully. I see you said "Start" motor. Are you referring to a starter motor as used to start a car engine?

#12 ·
Vista,

I saw your pictures on the Coronado 25 users group. The outboard on the transom looks really big and heavy. If you decide to re-use it without having to try to put it into the well you might want to build a rough template out of a cardboard box or something to see if it even fits in the well? IIRC, the motor mount plate in the well was about 10" high and about 12" wide. Perhaps someone here or on the users group could send you some pictures. Our motor was a mid -70's Evinrude 15HP long shaft, same size as the 9.9, two stroke and it just fit and would tip up. Bubblehead, on this forum has, or had a Coronado 25, perhaps he could help you? If you get another motor I suggest you get a long shaft motor. Even with our long shaft motor in really rough conditions the prop would "slip" a little once in a while, nothing serious, but with a short shaft I think it would have been a lot worse. Let us know how it all turns out.

Dabnis

#13 ·
Consider going new and smaller, reliability is just as important as thrust.

A modern 6hp Tohatsu with high thrust propeller is preferred to an unreliable old 10hp.

Make sure whatever you buy fits in the well and if the well is designed to tilt the outboard make sure it fits. Some of the new outboards have bigger propellers which limit the room inside the well for tilt.

At least a new 6hp should fit in the well without clearance issues.

I agree with others a 10hp with electric start is a good thing, make sure it fits before buying.

#15 ·
Vista,

Try the Pennysaver in your area, you can usually find something.

I know your on a tight budget, but a good reliable engine is as much a safety thing as a convenience. As you may know, weather can come up quick on the bay :)

A couple of other places might you consider calling, Florida Boat Repair off Mountain Road and Shamrock Marine.

A Tohatsu 9.8 hp is a great motor and are reasonably priced new at around $1700 =/-, try Discount Marine and Boat Supplies - Inflatable Sales - Defender or this link 9.8 HP 4-Stroke The 8HP & 9.8HP are the same engine, weight, etc, just higher RPM's so it would only make sense to get the 9.8.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.