Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011

vistastang is on a distinguished road
Red face Looking for a 6 to 10 HP Outboard for Salt Water

I apologize if this thread is in the wrong place. As the title describes I am looking for an outboard motor to use on my newly acquired 1969 Coronado. I live in Pasadena MD. I looked at the classifieds but they date back to 2003 so I'm not really sure how reliable the ads are. I am on a budget of course or I'd be looking at new motors. The Coronado has a "engine well" that would accept a short shaft and it also has a transom mount that requires a long shaft. I have a Wards 7hp Sea King motor to sell or trade but it doesn't have reverse so it wouldn't work for me. Looking for a reliable later model engine. Thank you.

Last edited by vistastang; 10-06-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2011

Andyman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistastang View Post
I apologize if this thread is in the wrong place. As the title describes I am looking for an outboard motor to use on my newly acquired 1969 Coronado. I live in Pasadena MD. I looked at the classifieds but they date back to 2003 so I'm not really sure how reliable the ads are. I am on a budget of course or I'd be looking at new motors. The Coronado has a "engine well" that would accept a short shaft and it also has a transom mount that requires a long shaft. I have a Wards 7hp Sea King motor to sell or trade but it doesn't have reverse so it wouldn't work for me. Looking for a reliable later model engine. Thank you.
Craigslist, ebay?
Old 10-06-2011

Tried them both. Either they were too expensive or too old. Thanks though.
Old 10-06-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
Your trying to buy what everybody wants and is not likely to sell if it is in good condition

Mostly they dont get cared for till they break and about that tiime saltwater has done its thing making the taking apart and ordeal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2011

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tried them both. Either they were too expensive or too old. Thanks though.
We had a Coronado 25 on San Francisco bay. Started with a 6HP which was OK for calm waters but at times marginal for inside and outside the bay. Went to a 15HP and it was plenty. Probably a 9.9HP would have been OK.
Suggest you go for a long shaft and stay with the well. Have seen a number of good looking motors on our local Craigslist. If I was to do it over I would get an electric start motor. good luck in your search.

Dabnis
Old 10-06-2011

Really an electric motor? You know your are the 2nd person who suggested that. Could you elaborate a bit more? Why would you go electric? At most I will have only two batteries and how far could that take me! Would you carry a generator for re-charging the batteries? I'm assuming you mean like a trolling type motor and if so if it were you appx what size would you be looking for? I should read more carefully. I see you said "Start" motor. Are you referring to a starter motor as used to start a car engine?

Last edited by vistastang; 10-06-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Lazy
Old 10-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
We had a Coronado 25 on San Francisco bay. Started with a 6HP which was OK for calm waters but at times marginal for inside and outside the bay. Went to a 15HP and it was plenty. Probably a 9.9HP would have been OK.
Suggest you go for a long shaft and stay with the well. Have seen a number of good looking motors on our local Craigslist. If I was to do it over I would get an electric start motor. good luck in your search.

Dabnis
What did you think of your Coronado? 15hp really, I thought it was limited to 10hp? You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the engine well lying would you? I have to rebuild the engine mount as mine has rotted away.
Old 10-06-2011

Quote:
Really an electric motor? You know your are the 2nd person who suggested that. Could you elaborate a bit more? Why would you go electric? At most I will have only two batteries and how far could that take me! Would you carry a generator for re-charging the batteries? I'm assuming you mean like a trolling type motor and if so if it were you appx what size would you be looking for? I should read more carefully. I see you said "Start" motor. Are you referring to a starter motor as used to start a car engine?
Electric start, turn the key instead of pulling the cord. Not an electric propulsion motor.
Old 10-06-2011

Of course you did.....
Old 10-06-2011

Quote:
What did you think of your Coronado? 15hp really, I thought it was limited to 10hp? You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the engine well lying would you? I have to rebuild the engine mount as mine has rotted away.
We enjoyed it for 10 years in and out of the Bay. It appeared to be fairly well built and we never had any structural or rigging problems although we didn't race it and tried not to beat it to death. I wasn't aware of the 10HP limit. The 15 was the same physical size and weight as the 9.9 so we went with it. Most of the time we ran it about 3/4 throttle as at full throttle it seemed to just bury the stern a little more. Not sure if it was faster, it was before GPS and we didn't have any instruments. In any event, when things get really nasty and you are trying to get home, power (thrust) is good. We ran a prop with about an inch less pitch than the stock prop and it worked well. Here is one user group that may give you some info on the well:

Coronado25 : Coronado 25 Yachts

I think there used to be a Coronado 25 users group here on Sailnet but I can't find it. Good luck on your well re-build. The well has to be light years ahead of the transom mount.

Dabnis

Tags
kicker , motor , outboard , shaft , wanted