Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011

silverbeard is on a distinguished road
I use the Wind Finder app on my iPad(not sure if it is available for iPhone). It is way more accurate than NOAA is. Wind Finder will give you wind forecasts and current conditions. I hardily agree with learning how weather works. I also check several forecasting services. Among my favorites are Accuweather and Weather Underground.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
I stand on deck and feel the wind on my cheek... And observe the water around the basin. If the wind is heavy enough to move my boat and yet light enough not to cause me any worrys I will go out. I don't go out if there is to much wind.
But offshore, you have to take what is given to your, not enough wind or to much wind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 10-07-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Sail flow.com

If you want to learn enough to make your own predictions study

The Sailors's Wind
BY Stuart Walker

But here is my 2 cents:
Newport Beach winds are always a battle between the ambient westerly and the thermal sea breeze which in Newport tends to eb a southerly. when it is cloudy in the Inland Empire - the sea breeze tends to be Weak and the ambient tends to dominate.
Old 10-08-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
There are no NDBC stations near Newport Beach (within about 20 nm anyway). At that, the closest ones don't have wind data.

Weather Underground has info for Newport Beach, but I would still trust the data from SNA. When thousands of people's live depend on accurate info, the folks who generate/report the weather tend to do a better job than amateurs with a backyard weather station.

BTW, conditions are always likely to be more benign in the harbor (right on the water, anyway) than up on a rooftop or weather station. So, reported values (from the airport METAR, from Weather Underground) are likely to be a bit closer to what you might experience outside the jetties.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 10-08-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-08-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I keep thinking you are in the east coast city called Newport.
Here are the buoys for So. Cal.: NDBC - Southwest USA Recent Marine Data
GMFL likes this.

Everybody has one:

Old 10-08-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Wunderground.com

Use the personal weather stations in the area you sail in to find accurate current conditions. The forecasts seem as accurate as anyone else's. Links to NOAA, tides, currents, sea buoys, etc. If you have a smart phone, the radar is pretty good for checking what's coming your way.

Also, you can check historical weather data from weather stations i.e.; wind speed, gusts, direction, etc. to see exactly what was happening at what time and how you and your boat handled things.
Old 10-08-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
Licking your finger while standing on deck still has the most accurate, "current condition forecast" app
Old 10-08-2011

Kiltmadoc is on a distinguished road
If you want some (slightly) inland ACCURATE and CURRENT weather conditions, I suggest going to aviationweather.gov

For where your are (Newport beach, CA), I would look up the METAR (left side bar) for KSNA (Santa Ana Airport...AKA John Wayne airport). If you want to read the results in english, click on the "translated" button. Once you figure out the shorthand, you can then look up KSNA on airnav.com and it will also show you all airports (and their current weather), within about 10-40 miles. You can then easily extrapolate what your coastal weather is.

Alternative is the following site, which shows ALL current airport conditions for the entire USA. You can zoom into sections of the country as needed. It allows you to hover over an airport and see the current winds (usually they read as something like this: 290@10 G15....translated, it means winds are coming from 290 at 10 knots, gusting to 15 knots)
CWSU National TAF METAR maps - NOAA NWS
Old 10-08-2011

agrainofsand is on a distinguished road
Surf Forecast, Surf Report, Buoy Report, Buoy Forecast | Stormsurf
Old 10-08-2011

agrainofsand is on a distinguished road
The problem is GOD has no control of the weather