Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2011

CarlosS is on a distinguished road
advice

Hello ,

I am checking another Rasmus located in Traverse City,MI. Seems it has been always in fresh water and the asking price is 35K. Dees anybody know the river route from traverse to the Ocean? Also, how can I really trust a surveyor from Traverse City? I mean this surveyor would be hired by the owner (and paid by me). I live in Uruguay South America.
Thanks,
Carlos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2011

Ed D is on a distinguished road
Hello Carlos.

You might call 'Coast Marine Survey' Leonard, 1-231-883-4416. He is in Traverse City.

*I have traveled none of the following routes.
Routes: 1. Lake Michigan to Chicago, then Midwestern rivers to gulf of Mexico at Mobile, Alabama or New Orleans, Louisiana. About 1600 miles. Mast down for river trip.
2. Lake Michigan, Huron, Erie, Ontario, St Lawrence Seaway to Gulf of St. Lawrence at Newfoundland, Canada. Mast up
3. Great Lakes to New York river system to New York City. (routes vary, partial closures due to storm damage to locks. Mast down.

BTW, what is the name of the boat?

Best, Ed
Old 10-09-2011

Anabelle

Hi Ed,

Thanks a lot for your quick answer. Name of vessel is Anabelle. Are you nearby or know this vessel??
Thanks a lot.
Carlos
Old 10-09-2011

Ed D is on a distinguished road
Carlos,
I have seen it on the mooring.
Will ask around...
Ed
Old 10-09-2011

Smile Anabelle

Hi Ed,

Sounds fantastic!
Many thanks in advance
BR
Carlos
Old 10-10-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I have not done the route down the Mississippi but have done the other two. Are you thinking of this year- it is getting very late in the season? The St Lawrence route is much further but allows access to some terrific cruising in Newfoundland. The New York State canal route is easier but you do need to remove your mast. Not a big problem either up or down. If you decide to go this way I can give you some ideas.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 10-10-2011
Moody 46

orthomartin is on a distinguished road
Rasmus and route

First let me say you are lucky to find any H-R boats in fresh water. If it has spent it's life in Lk Mi (or other fresh water) the boat is a fraction of it's real age. I think the last Rasmus built (out of almost 800) was around 1978. Olle Enderlein was the designer and the boats have really performed and held up well. I think that model did a lot to give HR the strong rep they have.
As for survey, if you are the buyer YOU pay for the survey. It's the only way to assure he or she is working in your best interest.

As for the route. We (my wife and I) departed from Lk Mi (Beaver Island) June of 08 out the St. Lawrence. I strongly recommend it! Fantastic trip and very easy. To be honest you could do the St Lawrence without charts it is so well marked. Going down the locks at Welland and St. Lawrence are a breeze. Upon exit the Gaspe is fantastic as is Cape Brenten and Nova Scotia.
Any questions feel free to send PM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.