Bought a Boat !! - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-09-2011 Thread Starter
Superior Sailor

Bought a Boat !!

On the "big side" for a Trailer sailer, but that's the plan for my 26' Alcort Paceship (swing keel)

Any one trailer launch a boat this size...?

I have a big enough truck (one ton dually 4x4) and plan on building a "drive on" bunk trailer for ramp launching...

Any tips on converting the keel stepped mast to Cabin stepped (with center post) for easier "parking lot" raising...?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-09-2011
Lake Sailor

Congrats on your purchase! I am in the process of finding my first boat as well. I wouldn't mess with the mast and how it is stepped. They are designed that way for a reason, the designer made that decision. Obviously others here could speak more to that. In my limited understanding of boat design I am not sure that you will be able to make that modification very easily, though, I could be wrong. Congrats again and get us some pics!

Where are you going to keep her?

Umquam Porro

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old 10-09-2011 Thread Starter
Superior Sailor

Well, that's going to depend...I'll probably do most of my sailing out of Bayfield WI (Apostle Islands) and depending on whether I can do a deck step conversion and make this a practicle (if not large) Trailer Sailer or I need to commit to a slip/store at home.

I would also like to get to Copper Harbor (Superior) and Manitou/Washington Island area on Michigan...

I found the Tanzer 27 (7.5) is the offspring of the PY26 and it does have a deck stepped mast, so the conversion may not be out of the equation...
post #4 of 21 Old 10-09-2011 Thread Starter
Superior Sailor

Also found with a 9'6" beam I'll need oversize load permit and signage, for road transport, not a big deal but something to consider.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-09-2011
Huck

you won't be taking that boat off and on the trailer every day you wanna sail. A boat that big is a lot of work to get all setup. you better off getting a mooring or slip. you will take upwords of 2 hours to setup. Just for and hour or two of sailing then 2 hours derig you would spend more time setting up and derigging then sailing. better off getting a slip or mooring. the trailer is meant just for winter storage.

16' mistral sailboat, And 27' coronado
post #6 of 21 Old 10-09-2011 Thread Starter
Superior Sailor

I just found a neat system that fits my needs

The Mastendr Quick-Rig Sailing System from Com-Pac Yachts

I think with that mast system, launch time will be reduced considerably...(once it's tuned in)

I have a Venture Cat at home for "daysailing" the local lakes around here... This boat is set up for longer excursions, weekends, and multiday cruising...so a couple hours in the parking lot before launch is just part of the whole experiance...

Only plan on going out 4-5 times a season.. (but that might change as soon as boat hits water...;-) )

Quote:
better off getting a slip or mooring.
Not at $180-$200/ft for the season...

Last edited by Squidd; 10-09-2011 at 08:32 PM.
post #7 of 21 Old 10-09-2011
4ksb expert.

I think Smallboatlover is on the mark really... except... if every time you sail, you spend 8+ hours on the water (or take several days on the water). This makes the setup time a smaller portion of your "Sail time." Still think of the time involved. Of course MONEY is always an object.

Good to have you here, and we'll help where we can.
post #8 of 21 Old 10-09-2011 Thread Starter
Superior Sailor

Thing is, I live inland a bit, but about equal distance (less than 2 hrs) from Superior and Upper Michigan...bout 140 mile to Green Bay...160 to Oshkosh

I don't see leaving the boat in one place for the long term when there are other waters to explore and I'm not close enough to run out for just a 2 hr or 4 hr "sail" anywhere big enough for this boat, so the basic plan is to use the boat for a "weekend", going day sailing and maybe tieing on to the city dock for the night or mooring in the harbor or lee side of island...

Kind of an "on water camper" and I've seen some massive campers getting towed down the road, so a 26' boat, while bigger than most trailer sailers, isn't going to be the biggest thing I've had to haul around..

I know I'm pushing the upper boundries of "Trailer Sailing" but I'm OK with it's limited use vs comfort level when we do spend time on the boat. I live in the middle of a thousand lakes in northern Wisconsin, but most all of them are smaller shallow "fishing" lakes... a couple are deep enough, but none are big enough to justify this size boat, so I won't be doing much "daysailing" round here...
post #9 of 21 Old 10-09-2011

consider keeping on the trailer at the marina , its much cheaper & you don't have to unstep the mast every evening you return to the ramp from a nice day sail
post #10 of 21 Old 10-09-2011 Thread Starter
Superior Sailor

That's something to consider... might even be an option when I want to go out consecutive weekends..

I'll have to see how receptive the yards are to overnight and/or week long stays and what that would cost compared to hauling both ways...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.