Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2003

Tequiza Terri is on a distinguished road
ICW Norfolk to Jax need advice

I am planning the Norfolk to Jax ICW trek with a 28 ft Morgan OI. I have a diesel but I do want to sail as muuch as I can, is it even possible? I do have the Maptech charts and Redmond''s Charttracker... and the ICW looks pretty narrow in places like MM39 at the VA/ NC border. Anyone done this trip lately??? terriivins@earthlink.net
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2003
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough

You will have very little opportunity to sail along the way...figure 80% motoring with an occasional opportunity to get an assist from the genny.
The ICW is quite narrow in many places...no more than 50 yards wide...Albermale sound and Nuese River are possible sailing opportunities if the wind is right.
If you like to anchor...suggest Skipper Bob''s guide to anchorages along the ICW...provides excellent advice. Enjoy the trip...despite the motoring it is beautiful, fun and interesting the first couple of times!
Best...GB
Old 09-10-2003

TrishLambert is on a distinguished road

I concur with the info above...doing the Ditch reminds me of driving the Interstate,at 5 mph!!! Mostly motoring, with a few sailing opportunities as cited.

Another book I HIGHLY recommend is the ICW Chartracker that covers Norfolk to JAX. It is very easy to follow--reminds me of a Triple-A Triptik. Markers, marinas, and anchorages are well marked, along with notes about hazards. Great for use in the cockpit--especially for aging Baby Boomer eyes! Nice large print...

Here''s the Amazon link so you can see it...am sure it''s available at a chandlery near you:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1892399008/qid=1063217364/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-9026911-3517448?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Trish Lambert
www.takehersailing.com