Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Ruffel's dorsal

Bob .Here's a link to several photos of Ruffels (J1) Orca Network Incredible Photos page Scroll down down. I first met him in a kelp forest near Bedwell Harbour in 1978. Len on the Thane
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2011
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Kwalt:
Yes, I agree. With a wide stern you can use some overghang aft to clean up the wake and gain some sailing length so you are not dragging the transom corners. Bow overhangs have pretty much dissapeared. I think it is a mistake to lump bow and stern overhang efficiency together. I like some bow overhang on my cruising boats so I can get the ground tackle clear of the stem.
Old 10-11-2011

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Bob .Here's a link to several photos of Ruffels (J1) Orca Network Incredible Photos page Scroll down down. I first met him in a kelp forest near Bedwell Harbour in 1978. Len on the Thane
Orca Network Incredible Photos page
Old 10-11-2011
grumpy old man

Kwalt:
I'm not seeing tubercles on the Orca dorsal fin. They don't use that fin to generate power so I'm not sure why they would have tubercles there. I think, like the Humpback, you would see them on the pec fins but I don't see them there either. Do you?

Those are some great pics.
Old 10-11-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Good stuff.

No one is making the argument for reserve buoyancy in the ends and seakindly motion any more?

What do you think about the newer open transoms for oceangoing boats?

There have always seemed to be complaints about inadequate drainage in the traditional cockpit design, plus you eliminate the need for two more through-hulls that could fail.
Old 10-11-2011
grumpy old man

James:
Not sure overhangs have much to do with seakindly motion. In fact, most boats with long overhangs would have more hull rocker so they might be more inclined to hobbyhorse.

Boats with fat sterns have plenty of "reserve buoyancy" compared to pointed ended double enders.

Open transoms are the easiest to drain as you say.
Old 10-11-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
And here I've always thought "Tubercles" was the really strong surfer from Greek mythology.

Boy do I feel like an idiot.

Seriously, I'm really liking your blog, Bob. You're very good at this. Now you need to get some sponsors!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-11-2011
grumpy old man

Smacker:
You were thinking of "Tubercules".

Very soon my blog will be attached to a site where I will be paid for hits. I can't give out the details yet. but it is happening.

I appreciate your kind words as ever. I'm having some fun with it and the traffic is quite good.

Still got the light on for you. You must have some reason to come to Seattle.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 10-11-2011

BigZ is on a distinguished road
These tubernuckle things only appear on the humpback whale. Just curious as to why, if they are desirable, they don't appear on other mammals of the seas. It appears that the humpback pectoral fins are much longer than other those on other whales, not sure if this has any impact. What do they allow the humpback to do that is different than other whales?
Or is it just that a long time ago some warty whales were ostracized from the herd and started their own group and now these warts really just serve some sort of sexual purpose, in which case they would be even more suitable for sailboats.
Old 10-11-2011
grumpy old man

Z;
Good question and I don't know the answer. Clearly the Orca has none. I'm not an expert on whale physiology so I wouldn't even try to guess why the Humpback has them. But if you pressed me I might say that it has to do with the amount of power the Humpback generates from the pec fins compared to the tail. The more power put into the pecs the more likely they would be to stall especially when swimming on the surface. When swimming deep I can't see them doing anything.

Yeah, that's it.

I did read the book FLUKE. So I got that going for me.

What I do know is that the designer who came up with them for ICON, Paul Bieker, is very smart. I pay attention to everything he does. A lot of people do. I also know the warts work on ICON according to the owner.

It's all fun.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site