SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   I have a new blog entry on rudders (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/79635-i-have-new-blog-entry-rudders.html)

bobperry 10-10-2011 04:59 PM

I have a new blog entry on rudders

1 Attachment(s)
It's a bit different from your typical designer article on rudders but I think it's interesting.

tdw 10-10-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobperry (Post 784655)
It's a bit different from your typical designer article on rudders but I think it's interesting.

Bob,
You need to add link to your blog that auto appears each time you post.
Let me know if you want me to do it for you.
Cheers
Andrew

Yacht Design According to Perry

bobperry 10-10-2011 07:04 PM

Andrew:
Yes please. I'd appreciate that.
I tried to do that but just could not find the right buttons.

I had James Judd from The Cone up for dinner last night. He's on his way back to Oz tomorrow for some CONE racing. He is renting the apartment that my son owns behind his house.

Classic30 10-10-2011 07:30 PM

Interesting stuff indeed, Bob - keep them coming! :)

bobperry 10-10-2011 07:40 PM

Hart:
Thanks for that.

I have a little more fun with the blog than my other usual venues. I don't have to run things by an editor.

Capt Len 10-11-2011 11:27 AM

Rudder design from mother nature.

Reminds me of Ruffel's dorsal fin. He was a member of the southern resident Orca pod here in BC. Died last year of old age and PCB's .

bobperry 10-11-2011 11:42 AM

Len:
That's interesting. I don't recall seeing tubercles on any Orcas. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. You don't by chance have a pic of your old pal you could post do you?

Years ago designer Dave Pedrick tried to simulate the tip of a whale fin on some of his rudders but that effort did not catch on.

jameswilson29 10-11-2011 12:15 PM

Borrowing from nature

Interesting post.

The swept back fin keels and rudders drawn by C&C and William Shaw at Pearson and others in the 70s also resembled natural fins of sharks or fish (no tuburcles, though).

The even older, traditional designs before computer assisted design showed similar natural looking curves and overhangs, producing some really beautiful boats (not the rule breakers).

It appears many yacht designers have now moved away from those more natural design features to the more modern, completely vertical keels and rudders, straight sheer, and very little overhang from racing boats.

bobperry 10-11-2011 12:30 PM

James:
I agree that the old shapes were more "organic" and sweet to the eye. But the newer shapes work better if you are after boat speed and control. The trend in production cruiser racers almost always follows what the racing classes are doing. I think its a bit like putting a spoiler on the back of your Toyota. They want to look racy.

Overhangs have dissapeared because production builders want max volume for a given LOA. I could argue that overhangs like you see in the old boats are not very effective but I'd step on toes and piss people off. Overhangs are pretty but dangling a lot of boat out in the air does not displace any water so I don't buy the argument that overhangs increase sailing length. Yes, they do when they are immersed and in many cases they can be immersed particularily in the stern. I think the argument for overhangs today has to be a subjective one. They just look great.

Give me a minute to get my sand bags piled up before you attack.

kwaltersmi 10-11-2011 12:36 PM

I love it when design and engineering take a cue from nature. Good stuff Bob!

I get the idea that short overhangs increase volume, speed and efficiency if done correctly, but I don't want to sail an ugly boat even if it is fast and roomy for her LOA. I need a bit of salty overhang so I have something stare back at when it's time to leave the boat and head off to work.