SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Troubles accessing Sailnet from smartphones (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/79705-troubles-accessing-sailnet-smartphones.html)

TakeFive 10-12-2011 10:26 AM

Troubles accessing Sailnet from smartphones

I sometimes follow my Sailnet subscribed threads on my Blackberry. A few days ago Sailnet pages stopped loading properly. I'll see the page for a few seconds while it's loading, but once the progress bar gets near the end the page suddenly goes blank on my phone. This happens when using Opera Mini (versions 4 and 6), as well as the default Blackberry browser, which sometimes also gives a "page error" message.

After trying to debug this for several days, I have come to the conclusion that there is a new ad banner that is crashing the mobile browsers as soon as it loads. I'd appreciate it if someone could look into this.

Is anyone else having similar problems with their smartphone browsers?

Faster 10-12-2011 12:04 PM

RD... Ive reported this issue to our administrator.. hopefully he'll have an answer.

TakeFive 10-12-2011 03:33 PM

FYI, I just saw this pop up on CNN:

BlackBerry outage spreads to North America

My access problem started a few days ago, which corresponds with when these Blackberry outages started in EMEA region. Are your servers located overseas, or fed through subnets with overseas IP addresses? If so, this might be the reason for the problem.

It might be best for you guys to wait a couple days and see if this goes away when RIM gets their act together.

chef2sail 10-12-2011 04:56 PM

My work Blackberry has been going crazy for a few days related to the worldwide outages I have noticed.

My droid smartphone however is downloading the site perfectly as is our IPAD2

Dave

hellosailor 10-12-2011 05:15 PM

The RIM rep says, that's an intentional security feature. Ergh, no, wait, that's some rogue nation trying to take our systems down, please stand by.

The Sprint rep says, yes, but isn't it the fastest most unlimited denial of service you've ever had?

The T-Mobile rep says oh, well, you're not in our coverage area. But we've got a great deal on a family plan!

The AT&T rep says, oh, sorry, you ARE in our coverage area. Would you like to buy a $20 text messaging plan with that?

And the Verizon rep says, your call is important to us, that's why we're going to place you on hold instead of hiring someone to talk with you.

Foolish mortal, you want internet service? In a third-world country like America? ROFLMAO.

Why do you think the Progresso Soup commercials all highlight their extensive use of tin cans and string?! (sigh)

AdamLein 10-12-2011 05:33 PM

This message sent from my Rogers Galaxy Tab.

TakeFive 10-15-2011 01:13 AM

Blackberry has fixed their problems, but I am still having the same problem accessing Sailnet. The symptoms are unchanged - the page displays OK for a few seconds, but near the end something loads that causes the screen to go white. I still think it's an ad banner that's incompatible with Opera Mini.

Anything you can do to remedy this will be greatly appreciated. I'll let you know when/if the problem goes away.

cb32863 10-15-2011 09:40 AM

Get a Droid? ;) Sorry, but from what I have heard, Blackberry is losing customers over the latest "outage". Could still be related as these things can take a while to fix through the system. Can you block ads in Opera Mini?

TakeFive 11-03-2011 01:22 PM

Administrator's PM reply to me:

Quote:

Originally Posted by administrator
Unfortunately the Blackberry find itself in the "desert" these days because it does not have a good web browser nor is it a Droid Device (for which we have an app) or an Iphone (for which we have an app).

Perhaps a better browser can be downloaded for the blackberry which will permit it to view and navigate the site properly.

Jeff J

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster
Hey Doc

I've notified admin once again... sorry about the problems, hopefully something can be done.

Cheers
Ron

TakeFive 11-03-2011 01:24 PM

My PM reply to administrator:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor
Here's an update based on recent observations:

The problem is not with Blackberry, it's with Opera Mini in "mobile view" mode. I have verified that this problem exists with Opera Mini on my daughter's LG (non-Blackberry) phone too.

I can view your pages in "full page" mode (mobile view turned off), but in mobile view something happens toward the end of the page load that turns the whole screen white.

I believe that you changed the formatting of your pages a few weeks ago which caused this problem to start. I suspect that you added/changed on of your ad frames in a way that breaks Opera Mini. It is an inconvenience, because viewing in full page mode requires a lot of extra clicks to zoom in on the part of the page that I want to view.

Ultimately it's your decision whether this inconvenience is sufficient to investigate further. You'll have to wait and see if anyone else complains.