Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Troubles accessing Sailnet from smartphones

I sometimes follow my Sailnet subscribed threads on my Blackberry. A few days ago Sailnet pages stopped loading properly. I'll see the page for a few seconds while it's loading, but once the progress bar gets near the end the page suddenly goes blank on my phone. This happens when using Opera Mini (versions 4 and 6), as well as the default Blackberry browser, which sometimes also gives a "page error" message.

After trying to debug this for several days, I have come to the conclusion that there is a new ad banner that is crashing the mobile browsers as soon as it loads. I'd appreciate it if someone could look into this.

Is anyone else having similar problems with their smartphone browsers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
RD... Ive reported this issue to our administrator.. hopefully he'll have an answer.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-12-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

FYI, I just saw this pop up on CNN:

BlackBerry outage spreads to North America

My access problem started a few days ago, which corresponds with when these Blackberry outages started in EMEA region. Are your servers located overseas, or fed through subnets with overseas IP addresses? If so, this might be the reason for the problem.

It might be best for you guys to wait a couple days and see if this goes away when RIM gets their act together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 10-12-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
My work Blackberry has been going crazy for a few days related to the worldwide outages I have noticed.

My droid smartphone however is downloading the site perfectly as is our IPAD2

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-12-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
The RIM rep says, that's an intentional security feature. Ergh, no, wait, that's some rogue nation trying to take our systems down, please stand by.

The Sprint rep says, yes, but isn't it the fastest most unlimited denial of service you've ever had?

The T-Mobile rep says oh, well, you're not in our coverage area. But we've got a great deal on a family plan!

The AT&T rep says, oh, sorry, you ARE in our coverage area. Would you like to buy a $20 text messaging plan with that?

And the Verizon rep says, your call is important to us, that's why we're going to place you on hold instead of hiring someone to talk with you.

Foolish mortal, you want internet service? In a third-world country like America? ROFLMAO.

Why do you think the Progresso Soup commercials all highlight their extensive use of tin cans and string?! (sigh)

Last edited by hellosailor; 10-12-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
This message sent from my Rogers Galaxy Tab.
Old 10-15-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

Blackberry has fixed their problems, but I am still having the same problem accessing Sailnet. The symptoms are unchanged - the page displays OK for a few seconds, but near the end something loads that causes the screen to go white. I still think it's an ad banner that's incompatible with Opera Mini.

Anything you can do to remedy this will be greatly appreciated. I'll let you know when/if the problem goes away.

Old 10-15-2011
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Get a Droid? Sorry, but from what I have heard, Blackberry is losing customers over the latest "outage". Could still be related as these things can take a while to fix through the system. Can you block ads in Opera Mini?

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

Old 11-03-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

Administrator's PM reply to me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator
Unfortunately the Blackberry find itself in the "desert" these days because it does not have a good web browser nor is it a Droid Device (for which we have an app) or an Iphone (for which we have an app).

Perhaps a better browser can be downloaded for the blackberry which will permit it to view and navigate the site properly.

Jeff J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster
Hey Doc

I've notified admin once again... sorry about the problems, hopefully something can be done.

Cheers
Ron

Last edited by TakeFive; 11-03-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

My PM reply to administrator:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor
Here's an update based on recent observations:

The problem is not with Blackberry, it's with Opera Mini in "mobile view" mode. I have verified that this problem exists with Opera Mini on my daughter's LG (non-Blackberry) phone too.

I can view your pages in "full page" mode (mobile view turned off), but in mobile view something happens toward the end of the page load that turns the whole screen white.

I believe that you changed the formatting of your pages a few weeks ago which caused this problem to start. I suspect that you added/changed on of your ad frames in a way that breaks Opera Mini. It is an inconvenience, because viewing in full page mode requires a lot of extra clicks to zoom in on the part of the page that I want to view.

Ultimately it's your decision whether this inconvenience is sufficient to investigate further. You'll have to wait and see if anyone else complains.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.