Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road
With a triple deck organizer and triple clutch you can then have your jib, vang and main all in the cockpit this makes for simple and easy single handing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hey,

You didn't state if your boat is on a mooring, slip, or trailer. Mine is on a mooring and I usually raise the main at the mooring, then cast off and motor / sail away.

Otherwise, as suggested, I would use a rope to tie the tiller straight, then go forward and raise the main.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
if you normally single hand,beg borrow or steal a tillerpilot,they last for years and make life aboard so much easier
Old 10-13-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
I'm in a marina. Thanks so much for all the good advice. I'll def try out a few of these ideas with crew in the cockpit just in case.

haha a tillerpilot is on the xmas list believe me. I have heard they die all the time though, you're saying they last a while?
Old 10-13-2011

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road
My AH800 was purchased in 2003, so its coming up on it's 9th season and I use it alot when single handed and in bad weather where i can sit under the dodger and watch, drink tea and stay comfy
Old 10-13-2011
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
I have the same issue with my C-18 (with an even smaller main).

On the lake, it is no problem to throttle the engine down to idle, tie off the tiller (I have a tiller-tamer), and go forward to raise the main. I worry that on the ocean, it won't be as easy and the consequences of falling overboard become too great to take the chance of leaving the cockpit.

I bought the gear to run the main halyard to the cockpit but haven't installed it yet. (The whole thing was about $160 at West Marine*)

If my plans work out, I'll have a long passage to open water next year, so raising sails at the mooring will not be possible.

Ken

*I have no affiliation with WM or any of their employees.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Don't see what the issue may be. Just ease the sheet enough to let the sail luff when hoisted, release the tiller, don't tie it off. One of the main safety principles on any sailboat is that when you let go of sheets and tiller, the boat will head up and luff. If it does not, it is dangerous. I singlehand my A35 all the time and see nothing to be concerned about in raising the sail alone, not an issue. Once you get back to the cockpit and haul the sheet in, the boat will fall off and gain headway on one tack or the other. Then set the headsail. Now raising a spinnaker single handed....
Old 10-13-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
One of the main safety principles on any sailboat is that when you let go of sheets and tiller, the boat will head up and luff. If it does not, it is dangerous. :
Which sheets are you refering? Main, jib or both?
Regards
Old 10-13-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Which sheets are you refering? Main, jib or both?
Regards
Both. It's one of the first things I learned about sailing: If in trouble, let go all the sheets and tiller. The boat will right itself, head up and come to a stop. The wind will eventually catch a side of the mainsail, even though sheeted way out, make the boat gain headway and head up to relieve the pressure on the sail. The sails WANT to be slack. Depending on the boat, it will either sit at some angle to the sea or come about repeatedly. If a boat falls off when the sheets and tiller are released it indicates a lee helm condition which can cause the boat to jibe in a strong breeze and do some real damage/rip the boom right off. Even with sails still sheeted, just letting go of the tiller/wheel should make any boat head up and fall off on the opposite tack or get in irons. The boat should always have some weather helm if sail and rigging are adjusted right for the conditions. Even under bare poles, the design of the hull and the small amount of pressure on hull and rigging should create some headway.

I have noticed that as soon as I hoist the mainsail, regardless of the wind direction, the boat will rotate around to face the wind very quickly. You can actually hold the boom into the wind to make the boat rotate faster. In a light wind, I just leave the boom sheeted in hard which accomplishes this faster. In a heavy wind, I'll let out enough sheet before I go up to the mast so that I'm not afraid of getting knocked over. In either case, the boat is usually making headway before I get back to the helm.

Last edited by smurphny; 10-13-2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: more
Old 10-13-2011

BigZ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Don't see what the issue may be. Just ease the sheet enough to let the sail luff when hoisted, release the tiller, don't tie it off. One of the main safety principles on any sailboat is that when you let go of sheets and tiller, the boat will head up and luff. If it does not, it is dangerous. I singlehand my A35 all the time and see nothing to be concerned about in raising the sail alone, not an issue. Once you get back to the cockpit and haul the sheet in, the boat will fall off and gain headway on one tack or the other. Then set the headsail. Now raising a spinnaker single handed....
Depends on the boat and conditions.
Like the OP, I have a smaller boat. I also sail in an area that has a lot of powerboats and their resultant chop. If I don't lock the tiller in place the pitching can cause the tiller to pivot pretty violently if left uncontrolled. This is more of an issue when dropping the main and securing it to the boom with sail ties. So locking the tiller while raising or lowering the main helps maintain some stability.
All in all, just need to know what your boat likes.

An autopilot is overkill for simply raising or lowering the sails.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.