Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road
A rig tune tension gauge will tell you exactly what the shrouds are set at and which ones need to be tightened and or loosened. I use the digital one from Harken and you can adjust while underway
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
They should not be slack. If your mast was tuned, you have to increase the tension on the leeward turnbuckles, then tack and make the same amount of tensioning to the other side. Tighter the better. Do not worry you can not tighteen them more than needed.
I may be misinterpreting what you mean. If so, I apologize, but you certainly can "tighten them more than needed".
Tighter is not necessarily better.
You can tighten them so much that you bend your boat and none of the doors open anymore. I did that once.
jackdale likes this.
Old 10-12-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I may be misinterpreting what you mean. If so, I apologize, but you certainly can "tighten them more than needed".
Tighter is not necessarily better.
You can tighten them so much that you bend your boat and none of the doors open anymore. I did that once.
In the 80's C&C's used to develop a "smile" between the keel and the hull when the backstay was overly hardened.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 10-12-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
...Tighter is not necessarily better...
celenoglu's suggestion of unlimited tightening is potentially dangerous.

Some people have adjustable backstays to optimize things for light vs. heavy winds.

Also, many rigs with swept back spreaders have special rules that need to be followed for uppers vs. lowers. Sometimes the lowers are in opposition to the uppers, and can create reverse bend in the mast and other undesirable shapes if tightened too much. I don't think this applies to the C27's, but realize that other boat owners read these threads too.
Faster and jackdale like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 10-12-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-12-2011

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Well, that is very close to the situation I am in, except that the door (I only have one, to the head which is just f'ward of the main bulkhead) does not CLOSE properly any more. It used to fit perfectly.

What is going on? I figured it must have to do with the rig tension and I de-tensioned all shrouds (secured the mast with halyards). Nothing changed, door still not closing.

This is a keel-stepped Columbia 32, in case it makes a difference.

Advice, please?
Old 10-12-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Well, that is very close to the situation I am in, except that the door (I only have one, to the head which is just f'ward of the main bulkhead) does not CLOSE properly any more. It used to fit perfectly.

What is going on? I figured it must have to do with the rig tension and I de-tensioned all shrouds (secured the mast with halyards). Nothing changed, door still not closing.

Advice, please?
This while afloat? Hard to say, there are a number of factors but I suspect backstay/forestay tensions will have more effect on most boats than shroud tension as far as 'bending' goes.. also wooden doors tend to swell and shrink with humidity changes, hinges get bent or screws get loose... If the boat was improperly blocked on stands this may have caused something to shift too.. but generally that comes back once afloat again.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-12-2011

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
This while afloat? Hard to say, there are a number of factors but I suspect backstay/forestay tensions will have more effect on most boats than shroud tension as far as 'bending' goes.. also wooden doors tend to swell and shrink with humidity changes, hinges get bent or screws get loose... If the boat was improperly blocked on stands this may have caused something to shift too.. but generally that comes back once afloat again.
Yes, the boat is afloat, and has been for nearly two years (my schedule is to haul every other winter, and last year was an in-the-water-winter).

Nothing was changed on the forestay and aft stay in the last 4 years (when the mast was unstepped). As I said, I did change the tension on the shrouds (had to rebed chainplates and other stuff).

Unfortunately, I don't know when the thing with the door happened. I noticed that it does not close anymore a few months ago. Could be swelling of the door but I consider it unlikely, the sticky part is not uniformly around but mainly on one side (closer to the hinge).
Old 10-12-2011

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Over tensioning your rig can cause your mast to drive downwards compressing and deforming either your keel step or coach roof – both are expensive repairs. Over tensioning the head and backstay (or too much back stay tension for those of us who have adjusters) can wrap (hog) your hull. Think banana. We measure for this by stretching a line from pulpit to pushpit, with light tension on the rig/no additional backstay tension. Mark where it crosses the mast. Apply backstay pressure (or by adjusting both stays) until the line just moves below the mark. Mark your backstay setting/ measure wire tension with a loos gauge. Go any further on the tension and congratulations, you warped your boat.
Faster, jackdale and KnottyGurl like this.
Old 10-12-2011

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Advice, please?
To see if the coach roof has flatened, get a steel support pole and set next to mast in walk way place wood on the top of the post that makes contact with roof with plate,
Snug pole to roof and
SLOWLY add some pressure each 1/8 turn check door, if it stops sticking you have found your problem. PLEASE watch and count the turns, never more then 3 full turns as this will raise the roof half an inch so watch and check lots as you turn on the pressure.
Old 10-12-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Advice, please?
Not sure with the structural design of the Col32; but, if the boat has a deck stepped mast AND a wooden compression post that is FIXED to the main bulkhead .... carefully check the butt end of the wooden compression post where it sits in the bilge. Many builders of this era simply drove a wooden wedge wedge under the compression post and covered the butt end and the wedge with fiberglass tabbing ... leaving the wedge and post vulnerable to rot. The post merely supported the bulkhead which supports the overhead .. and when the post butt rots the bulkhead no longer can support the deck mast step and the overhead changes shape & dimensions ... the result is the adjacent head, etc. passageways 'skew', etc. Check to see if the door lock closure 'line up' ... if the 'door handle/knob' no longer is in line with its 'lock plate' the bulkhead and/or compression post may have 'slipped down' ... because of rot in the base of the post.