SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Training Wheels Are Off!

3K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  imagine2frolic 
#1 ·
A few of you may know of my trials and tribulations with me learning to sail, and now getting out of the harbor and into the open water of the Pacific Ocean. I thank all of you for your advice and words of wisdom. Today it hit me...Its all in my mind...and its just like when I was young and my brother took off my training wheels. I was TERRIFIED at first, but once I knew I could do it alone, I was ecstatic! Well today was the day! Went out for an AMAZING sail with the previous owner who is a friend of the family. We went into open water and caught some GREAT wind and had the boat powered up to 6.5 knots. We probably could have squeezed another half a knot had we been trying, but we were just getting out there and enjoying the AMAZING weather....I am not quite ready for the Ocean singlehanded sailing yet, maybe after another trip or two supervised. Here are a few pics of the sail...oh and we had whale sightings! What an amazing sail! Full story and video will be here and my blog.

Cuajota | The chronicles of a sailboat in Newport Beach named Cuajota.

See less See more
#4 ·
You go, dude. Those are awesome photos. It's good to see your confidence building up.

Motion sickness:

1. Avoid heavy, greasy foods prior to departure.
2. If you take motion sickness meds, take them prior to departure.
3. Candied ginger chews are an excellent non-drug remedy.
4. It'll go against your instincts when you're feeling sick, but drink water.
5. Keep your eyes on the horizon.

#21 ·
When he says avoid heavy greasy foods prior to departure, he means starting the day before.

Yes, take your dramaine when you board the boat.

Not only watch the horizon, but stay on deck. Don't go below.

#5 ·
Good job NN, first the port then the ocean, sailing is addictive. The next challenge will be an over night on the hook. Do we see the horizon is in your future?

Excellent photos by the way.

#8 ·
The boat didn't spontaneously decompose, the water molecules still held together and the sea monsters were fast asleep deep in the ocean.

Congrats and nice pics.

#12 ·
Rome wasn't built in a day, but most of what was built of importance is still standing. You've taken a lot of first steps in a very long journey. Don't get big headed, and just keep on testing yourself & vessel. High five to you too.........i2f

#14 ·
Hey, Newport- I've been following your progress closely, as it somewhat mirrors what I've been doing out of Marina Del Rey. The only reason I don't post more or blog is because it would probably be redundant to yours. Experience-wise, I'm just a little further ahead of you, so I'll predict that you will very soon be sailing to Catalina. I'll be making my maiden voyage there this Sunday.

#15 ·
Imagine, I am not bigheaded at all...HUMBLED is the word. I am just happy that with sea time I am gaining in my knowledge and that will probably never change...

rbrasi, congrats and thanks! Enjoy Catalina, I will be headed there soon....the wind yesterday was perfect, it would have taken me straight to Avalon without a tack! I was 1/4 of the way there before turning back...

#22 ·
Don't worry about maintaining humility. The sea will do that for ya.

#26 ·
NN,

I think I posted a thread here titled ARE YOU ON THE FENCE? It's about getting out there, and doing it. Not matter it be sailing, or hiking. It's about living life, and making choices. If not here it's at CF. You'll be crossing oceans soon if you keep this up!.;)......i2f

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.