Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
RhythmDoctor, thanks for the link; I've been following that story with interest! Based on what I've read, I don't think I'd be trying Barnegat inlet anyway - I'd either go the ICW or down to the next inlet South, whose name escapes me now.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
RhythmDoctor, thanks for the link; I've been following that story with interest! Based on what I've read, I don't think I'd be trying Barnegat inlet anyway - I'd either go the ICW or down to the next inlet South, whose name escapes me now.
I forgot about ICW through that part of New Jersey. I don't know those waters at all, but someone here once warned to always check the operational status of all the bascule bridges before departing, since they are sometimes down for maintenance/repairs. That might also be covered in USCG's weekly LNM reports. I'm sure Dave or Jim McGee knows more about this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 10-21-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
[hijack]
Ulladh - Last spring you said your plan was to stay in the water at Anchorage all winter. Are you coming over here? (I'm hauling early Nov.)
[/hijack]

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-19-2011
Asleep at the wheel

LOL...inoperable bridges - that's something I hadn't considered, and could pose a bit of a problem!!! Maybe I'll be building that A-frame a little sooner than I expected!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 10-19-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
The next Inlet down ( Little Egg Inlet) is worse choice to go out than Barnegat. It has frequently shifting shoals. You can continue down the intercoastal and go out Absecon Inlet which is an easy one (Atlantic City. The intercoastal to Atkantic City from Barnegat is norrow with mskinny water, but doable. Make sure you have Boat US unlimited towing. You best bet is to go ourt Barneget in the AM when it is calm, 85% of the time. Also Greater Egg Inlet to get behind Ocean City is no picnic either, with freuently shifting shoals and rollers across the inlet in the afternoon.

Barnegat Inlet to Ocean City is approx 50 miles or a 12 hour trip. Atlantic City to Ocean City is 22 miles. You can break this up by anchoring across from Clam Creek in Atlantic City or staying at Kammermans in Clam Creek (2.50 a foot vs 5 dollars in the Farley Marina.

No intercoastal from AC to OC as there is a fixed bridge in Longport.

Make sure you engine is checked out before you do this also. If I rememeber the Cat 25 is a pop top model with an outboard. Expect to average 4 knots, less against the tidal current even.

For more info feel; free to PM me.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-19-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
I don't know the air draft on the C 25, but Ocean city Roosevelt Blvd fixed bridge is 35ft vertical clearance. There are some other fixed bridges I think at Sea Isle and Avalon.

My Havsfidra has an air draft of 28ft.

Rhythm
I will haul out this winter, I have a split in the rudder, above water line but it will travel. The winter project will be to use the old rudder as a template for new.
Old 10-19-2011
Asleep at the wheel

Ulladh, the mast height above water (air draft) is about 33' for a C25; the mast is 28'. I'm not sure how high up the antenna sticks above the mast; I'll have to measure that when I take it down.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 10-19-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Waterway Cruising Guide | Waterway Planner

Go to waterway planner and zoom in to the NJ section, chart is overlaid on google map and contains update notes including shoaling and bridge work.

33ft under a 35ft bridge may be a problem with powerboat wake at high tide.
Old 10-19-2011
Asleep at the wheel

Thanks, I hadn't come across that web site!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 10-21-2011

Bermudahigh is on a distinguished road
the City of Ocean City has purchased a marina around 2nd and bayfront. While its open and exposed to a long fetch, it will be on the cheaper end of the slip options. Will try to find pricing info for you.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.