Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011

HDGib is on a distinguished road
Rainbow 15 Crystal Cat information wanted

I recently purchased an interesting catamaran style sailboat. It does not have a trampoline but a solid fiberglass deck between the hulls. I tried to find information on line about the boat and with some help have found a very little. It was built by Rainbow Boat Co. in Merritt Island in FL from 1983-85. I donít have photos of my boat but did find another one that sold on e-bay in Aug. The photos are of the e-bay boat not mine. (itís prettier then mine Does anybody know anything about this boat?
Attached Thumbnails
Rainbow 15 Crystal Cat information wanted-1.jpg   Rainbow 15 Crystal Cat information wanted-2.jpg   Rainbow 15 Crystal Cat information wanted-3.jpg   Rainbow 15 Crystal Cat information wanted-4.jpg   Rainbow 15 Crystal Cat information wanted-5.jpg  

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2011

dnbi is on a distinguished road
I saw your post about the Rainbow 15 Crystal Cat while searching for information about this boat. I just came across one today where the owner has offered to give the boat to me if I haul it away. It is not in the greatest of shape and I am not sure that it is a bargin even for "free" but it is an interesting boat that looks like it could be fun to sail. I am wondering if you have gained additional info about this boat since you posted your request and If you have, I would be greatful if you could share. Thanks
Old 11-13-2011

I have been unable to find anything at all about the boat. I got more from here then anywhere else on the net.
Old 11-13-2011

Dbni I am sorry it was on another site. I will have to look and see where I posted another requests for info. I got the years it was made; 1983-1986 and where; Merrit Island FL. How much it cost new; $4,500 and what one is worth now. In sailable condition it is worth about $1,400. Other then that I found out nothing. The Rainbow Boat Company that made it is no longer in business. Any more help I can give get in touch. I think mine is complete for the most part. Where are you located?
Old 11-13-2011

Thanks for getting back to me. I was unable to find anything else on the webb myself except for what I saw re: your requests on the beach cat site - and on the Multihulls Magazine site I found that the Crystal Cat 15 was 15'00 overall with 8'00 beam, 133 sq. ft. of sail area and 700# displacement.

The boat that I have been offered is a just a hull and rudders project - no mast or sails. I am thinking of rigging the boat with minimal sail +/- 100 sq. ft. with a rotating sailboard mast similar to the Drifter 16 trimaran (see duckworksmagazine.com and click on multihull plans to see the Drifter 16) My days of sailing high performance cats are about done but I still enjoy multihulls.

I saw on the beach cats site that you are from Keystone Heights. I live down the east coast from you in Fort Pierce.

DN
Old 11-14-2011

You know much more about sailing then I probably ever will. I have never sailed. If you find out any more about this craft please let me know. I didn't know about the sq footage of the sail. That could be very helpfull. I have a couple of sails that might work but the battens for one of them are not long enough. I may have to lenghten the pockets so a longer one will fit to keep the sails shape. Do you know how I can figure out the size of a jib to look for? I am not sure even how to rig one. With the blocks on the deck someone said it may be a over sized one. I would assume that would mean the luff would come beyond the mast aftward.
Have fun.
Mark
Old 11-14-2011

Hey Mark,

I'll try to give you some understanding about the sails for your boat. I suggest that you look up puddleduck.com which is a builder and sailor site for the Puddle Duck Racer, a simple little box of a boat. There is a section called design your duck wherein they discuss the center of effort and center of lateral resistance and under the sail section there is more related info. I think that the site gives a lot of relatively easy to understand info for novices and that it can help you to understand how sails and lateral resistance work.

As for your specific boat, you should be able to determine the size jib that you need by subtracting the square footage of your main (I think that you said that you have a main sail) from the total sail area of the boat (per the multihull info I sent to you last night).
The difference should be the total sq. footage of your jib. A 110% jib is fairly typical which is to say that the length of the foot of the sail is 110% of the distance from the fore stay to the mast. If you go to the hardware store or marine store (try Harbor Freight if there is one near you) and get some stainless cable and fittings you should be able to make a bridle that will run from an eye at the front of each of the bows to a center ring (that you purchase) that will serve as the attachment point of the bottom of the fore stay. Your jib will run from the ring (center of the bridle) to the front of the mast. There is probably a tang already on the mast (or holes where one was once attached). The tang will be the piece that is used to attach the top of the fore stay. Once the bridle and fore stay are rigged you will be able to determine the length of the luff which when added to your knowledge of the approximate length of the foot will allow you to determine the length of the hypotenuse (leech) of the sail triangle and thus determine your jib area. If that area varies from the size that you have calculated by subtracting the main sail area from total sail area, you can alter the length of the foot (or the luff) until you get close to the right number. There are several places on line that sell used sails and they will state the lengths of the luff, leech and foot of the sails offered for sale.

Fully battened sails (like Hobie sails) are great if you can get one, of the right size, but a more conventional sail with minimal battens will probably be sufficient for your early learning. 40+ years ago when I first learned to sail I went down to the local yacht club and showed interest and the next thing I knew I was crewing every weekend. I hope that you can find someone to take you out sailing because that will greatly help you understand how to rig and sail your boat – and I hope that you are able to follow what I have written and that it is helpful to you.

Doug
Old 05-16-2012

Phreediver is on a distinguished road
Re: Rainbow 15 Crystal Cat information wanted

I realize this thread is quite old now. But my father designed and built the Crystal Cat. If youre still looking for information, please contact me
Old 05-17-2012

SABALMINOR is on a distinguished road
Re: Rainbow 15 Crystal Cat information wanted

Hello,

I found your post doing a Google search and would like to direct you to The Beach Cat's thread concerning one of these catamarans.

Your input and knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the link;

http://thebeachcats.com/forums/viewt.../12197/start/0

*AJ*