Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2011
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
If you have a 3 blade I'd let it spin assuming it doesn't drive you crazy

If you have a 2 blade, I'd put a couple of marks on the shaft so that you can rotate it by hand until the blades are vertical and then lock it

Or just buy a folding prop... much easier!

I suppose you could mark the shaft of a 3 blade so that you can lock it with one vertical and the other two up in the turbulence of the hull

How much do you care about that bit of extra drag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2011
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
I had a fixed three blade on the Valiant and I always locked it. The noise bothered me and I was never sure about damage to the transmission.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 10-15-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I had a fixed three blade on the Valiant and I always locked it. The noise bothered me and I was never sure about damage to the transmission.
Do you know of any device to lock it on a sail drive?

Regards

Paulo
Old 10-15-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

Yanmar MSA .pdf

"Advisory Number: MSA08-003:

DATE February 8, 2008 Dealers and OEMs
TO: All Marine Distributors
SUBJECT: Gear in Neutral While Sailing All MODELS:

All Sailboat Engines

We continue to get questions regarding the correct gear position while sailing with the engine OFF. This advisory is issued as a reminder; Yanmar requires that if sailing with the engine OFF (not running) the transmission shifter must be in the neutral position or internal damage to the gear or sail-drive will result. This damage will not be covered by Yanmar’s Limited Warranty. Please instruct customers and dealers who deliver the sailboat to the customer, of the correct (Neutral) position for the marine gear while sailing.

If the customer desires that the propeller shaft not spin while sailing, either a folding propeller, shaft brake, or other suitable device may be used.
However, Yanmar accepts no responsibility for the selection, installation, or operation of such devices. Please also refer to Marine service advisory “MSA07-001_Yanmar Sail Drive Propeller Selection” for additional information.

If you have any questions regarding this advisory please contact a Customer Support representative."

The guy from Yanmar admitted that prior to 2008 they did not take much of a position either way in regards to reverse or neutral, hence the constant confusion on the forums when talking about Yanmar's.

This info does NOT apply to other engine makers!
Thanks, that's news to me. They seem to mean that even with a folding propeller it should be also leaved in neutral however normally folding driver propellers say to put gear in reverse. I wonder if they all fold if the engine is on neutral.

On light winds I doubt. Maybe we can put it on reverse, fold the prop and then put it on neutral.

Regards

Paulo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.