Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
Getting my popcorn and a cooler.... let the "quarterbacking" begin....
Aw, what the hell, I'll give it a whirl...(grin)

First, my Standard Sailing Forum Disclaimer, following the lead of Herman Cain:

"Now, I don't have any facts to back this up, but..."

Quote:
The following statements neither express nor imply any criticism, second-guessing, or Monday Morning Quarterbacking of the actions of the crew of the sailing vessel ODES TO JOY on Thursday evening whilst attempting to enter Barnegat Inlet... My comments are intended to be taken, in the absence of further details at this time regarding this incident, solely as my best supposition of what might have been likely to have occurred that evening, in an effort to use this incident as a merely cautionary example of the sort of thing that can go wrong at a place like Barnegat... My comments are to be construed as nothing more than a "hunch" about what may have occurred, and are solely reflective of my personal OPINION... Said opinions are primarily derived from my personal experience and observation,. Despite the fact I have lived most of my life on Barnegat Bay, and have fished out of both Manasquan and Barnegat Inlets since boyhood, anyone taking these opinions to be either ”informed”, or constitute anything bearing even the slightest resemblance to ”expertise”, does so entirely at their own risk... No liability should be implied or assumed in posting the following comments. Additionally, anyone feeling there is no value whatsoever in discussing the potential hazards of a transit of Barnegat Inlet, or this particular incident in the absence of more information than is available at this time, is politely requested to refrain from reading any further…

(grin, bigtime)
I think the timimg of this incident/distress call likely says it all, after 1900 on Thursday would have been getting onto pretty much full-on darkness… Also, we’ve had a fair amount of fog coming and going along the coast the past week, the visibility in the pic the following morning doesn’t look so hot… Even the fanciest 3-D electronic cartography would be of minimal help at Barnegat, even with local knowledge, entering at night in the fog would be very risky… I’d want to get inside really badly to make the attempt in heavy fog at night, in anything less than absolutely benign conditions…

The submerged jetty on the north side is not particularly well-defined on most charts, and would have been well beneath the surface at the stage of the tide that night (about mid-tide, on the flood)… I think the lighted tower at the end of the visible jetty sometimes further lulls some boaters into thinking that marks the outermost hazard, and this boat likely passed by Manasquan Inlet that afternoon, where it is apparent that is certainly the case (With a swell running, or the tide on the ebb, locals often prefer to cutting around the rocks at Manasquan as closely as you dare, then making a quick sharp turn in).. Such an approach will definitely NOT work at Barnegat, in anything other than a small center console fishing boat, or anything else of similarly shallow draft… I routinely cut a LOT of corners up and down the East coast, and guys who fish around those rocks insist there is a passage for a deeper draft sailboat through there, but… maybe in my next life, I’ll have the nerve to give it a try… But, not in this life, that's one corner I don't have the nerve to cut closer than about the second pair of fairway buoys in from the sea buoy...

Older, submerged jetties pose a similar risk at several inlets along the East coast – Ocean City, MD, Winyah Bay Entrance, Charleston, Savannah River, and St Mary’s Entrance, to name the most obvious… Absolutely boggles the mind that their furthest seaward projections are not marked more conspicuously, especially by lighted aids at night… The end of the north jetty at St Mary’s is the only one that comes to mind, that has a lighted buoy positioned near the end of the jetty… The submerged rocks at Barnegat are not even marked with true nav aids, but rather usually small unlit buoys similar to the type that usually mark “No Wake Zones”, or similar…

After the loss of the s/v MORNING DEW and the death of the 4 aboard after hitting the jetty at Charleston back in the 90’s, I thought for sure something would FINALLY be done about marking the end of the jetties that become awash at high tide with a light of a more distinguishing characteristic than the line of nav aids that define the entrance channel – something like a yellow strobe, or similar… One would think in the wake of a $35 million lawsuit brought against the CG in the wake of that incident, and the litany of recommendations made by the NTSB investigation, at least some attention might have been given to better identifying submerged jetties to mariners, but apparently not…

Absolutely heartbreaking, the loss of a beauty like ODE TO JOY so shortly after such an effort given to her restoration… Just one more reminder, bad things can happen entering small boat inlets/harbors at night…

Last edited by JonEisberg; 10-16-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2011

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
When I look at the NOAA chart for Barnegat Inlet, it shows the lighted buoy out at the end of the submerged part of the north jetty, so you would have to cut inside it in order to ground on the submerged jetty when arriving from the north. Am I missing something?
Old 10-17-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Very sad about this boat. Hope they can somehow salvage her. One thing that may be helpful to some are .jpg images you can save from Google Earth photos. I have a folder of printouts of all the E.Coast inlets which sometimes give a pretty clear picture of what is not on charts. They can even be calibrated to work with chartplotters. They are often outdated but still give a good idea of what an inlet actually looks like.

Boat Sinks off Barnegat Inlet-barnegatinlet2.jpg

Boat Sinks off Barnegat Inlet-barnegatinlet.jpg

These are Barnegat--obviously a nasty spot.
Old 10-17-2011

GMC is on a distinguished road
It does look like it was the Ode To Joy from other paper reports. Owner had restored wonderfully and launched on the Hudson in late September according to his blog. Looks like a lot of sweat and love went into getting it ready. My condolences to him. Glad everyone is safe.
Old 10-17-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
So what did he on the photo's above? I'm not familar with the area.

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 10-17-2011
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Has anyone been arrested, gotten drunk, or pooped in a cop car yet??
CaptFoolhardy likes this.
Old 10-17-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldaShoulda View Post
Has anyone been arrested, gotten drunk, or pooped in a cop car yet??
So far no "yuck light" can's have been found at the scene...

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 10-17-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
...One thing that may be helpful to some are .jpg images you can save from Google Earth photos. I have a folder of printouts of all the E.Coast inlets which sometimes give a pretty clear picture of what is not on charts. They can even be calibrated to work with chartplotters. They are often outdated but still give a good idea of what an inlet actually looks like...
The outdated part is worth emphasizing. These satellite pics can give a general idea of the area, but boaters are also well advised to heed the warning on Note C of NOAA's chart for this area:
Quote:
Buoys in these channels are not charted because they are moved frequently. Hydrography in Barnegat Inlet is not shown due to its continually shifting nature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-17-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
The problem with most less than Class A inlets is that the buoyage is moved frequently and the NOAA charts only reflect 'greyed out' areas of the inlet.

In the computer age with instant 'net access it wouldnt be 'all that hard' for the CG/NOAA to compile the exact buoyage / hazzard and list such info on 'temporary' charts that would be helpful and increase SAFETY. The only agencies that do issue inlet condition / buoyage is via private enterprise (such a whitesound press, etc.) and those are 'hard copy' which are instantly obsolete at the next buoy changes .... but still INFINITELY better than the 'greyed out' NOAA charts. Worse yet the 'greyed out' areas of charts containing inlets are always at low resolution, low magnification on even the standard issue NOAA charting. "local knowledge" just doesnt cut it in the 'information age'.
Old 10-17-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
...In the computer age with instant 'net access it wouldnt be 'all that hard' for the CG/NOAA to compile the exact buoyage / hazzard and list such info on 'temporary' charts that would be helpful and increase SAFETY...
I'll take it one step further. AIS technology was designed with the capability to transmit "virtual buoys" that could be relocated or otherwise modified in real time. USCG could easily transmit these signals through their repeating towers.

All it takes is money, which is sure to become harder to come by going forward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)