Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
This is really heart wrenching. The Ode to Joy site just exudes a sense that here is an owner who loves his boat. In this electronic age it seems stunning how quickly a search can turn up a float plan of sorts.....

"I can report the Alden Challenger is a great pleasure to sail, tracks well, accelerates quickly even in light air, hands off steering once sails are trimmed, turns a tight radius, settles quickly into easy motion when hove to, and glides forever when turned into the wind. Now, I am ready for longer sails, overnighter, perhaps dare I say it, a late fall cruise to Annapolis and back...I am going to enjoy this part."

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2011

gucio123456 is on a distinguished road
so sad to see
Old 10-17-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
This is really heart wrenching. The Ode to Joy site just exudes a sense that here is an owner who loves his boat. In this electronic age it seems stunning how quickly a search can turn up a float plan of sorts.....

"I can report the Alden Challenger is a great pleasure to sail, tracks well, accelerates quickly even in light air, hands off steering once sails are trimmed, turns a tight radius, settles quickly into easy motion when hove to, and glides forever when turned into the wind. Now, I am ready for longer sails, overnighter, perhaps dare I say it, a late fall cruise to Annapolis and back...I am going to enjoy this part."

Jeff
Yes, I found that blog and wondered if it was the same vessel. I went through the blog posts and photos. This vessel was painstakingly restored. I think I remember reading that the masts were laying underwater at the yard during Irene, and survived.

It is heart wrenching. The only consolation is that everyone was taken off safely.
Old 10-17-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
The outdated part is worth emphasizing. These satellite pics can give a general idea of the area, but boaters are also well advised to heed the warning on Note C of NOAA's chart for this area:
Of course. Some of the Google images are YEARS out of date and the resolution is not fine enough see buoys anyway but they do give an overall picture of what you may be getting into. Some people are using these in remote areas where printed charts may be 100 years out of date.

When heading south (drawing close to 6'), I make sure to choose a weather window to avoid these NJ inlets and make it to Delaware Bay, although Cape May Inlet is straight forward enough if weather is good. Would never attempt with poor visibility/at night. At night, even inlets you are familiar with can be confusing.
Old 10-17-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbean View Post
When I look at the NOAA chart for Barnegat Inlet, it shows the lighted buoy out at the end of the submerged part of the north jetty, so you would have to cut inside it in order to ground on the submerged jetty when arriving from the north. Am I missing something?
So much for Local Knowledge, I suppose... (grin) My apologies, I did a rather poor job of describing what I meant, there. I'll plead the excuse of the lateness of the hour of my posting, and the fact that I had raised a glass or 2 too many last night, to the memory of Indy Champion Dan Wheldon...

The outermost portion of the north jetty has been reduced to somewhat of a pile of rubble by the wave action over recent years. For years the light on the jetty had been a more substantial tower, which eventually was at risk of toppling over, and was eventually replaced with a light on a single pole driven into the bottom, rather than mounted on top of the rocks... But, if you look closely at the pic below, you can see it is placed slightly to the outside of the rocks...

Add the fact that the channel normally favors the N side to a considerable degree - there is usually a lighted green buoy just inside the jetties, often placed about 2/3 of the way across the inlet towards the N side... From there on in, the channel run quite close to the rocks, generally closer than the red course line below would indicate...

My impression has always been that as the end of the jetty has been broken down, there is a significant amount of underwater obstruction from the debris extending a bit more to seaward... It can certainly appear that way from the visible wave action there in certain conditions, and friends who fish around the rocks there believe there are rocks that extend slightly further out... I'll take their word for it, I've no inclination to investigate that any more closely...
Old 10-17-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Very sad to see.

I have transited Barnegat Inlet over 150 times in many differening conditions. I also lived at the South Jersey Shore for 18 years before moving to the Chesapeake 12 years ago.

I always warn boaters that this inlet above all other jettied inlets in NJ is far away the most trecherous and dangerous. The large body of water behind it draining seaward ( Barnegat Bay) on the ebb tide can create a 3-5 knot current easily as it gets squeezed between the rock jetties. Cape May, Atlantic City are safe. Barnegat is not. Add to it the shoal on the inside of the south jetty starting ahlfway down it forces you to hug the north jetty rocks. As if this not enough the depth approaching the inlet from the sea are shallow on either side of the markers starting about 1/4 mile out. I recommend to al coming in this inlet do not short cut it like Atlantic City and acpe May and Manesquan. Start out almost at the Bell Bouy and come right down the straightaway. The shoals on either side will often cause the swells to break and roll across this inlet especially on the outgoing ebb tide and South east or northeast winds.

This is one inlet I avoid at night as I want to see my way in here. Caharts are no good nor are pictures as the sands shift and the breakers vary according to wind direction or tides. This must be seen with the naked eye to ascertain the safety of approaching or avoidance.

The channel in is quite tricky as I have said. After you transit very close to the north jetty, you dog leg hard left accross the back of the inlet with the tide running cureent running abeam with 3 ft on your inland side of water. This inlet is not for the faint of heart and in no way will I Monday morning quarterback here. Suffice to say even with over 150 trips I woulkd not attempt in the dark under any circumstances.

Good bless the sailors that they were saved. Kudos to the CG for the rescue. Every year there are numerous rescures in this inlet. Stay away at night and in Northeastern. Stay a way and live to see another day.

Dave
ottos and WanderingStar like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-17-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
About 28 years ago I took my Hunter 27 out the Barnegat inlet for the day. This is before they 'fixed' it! On the way out we had the sails up the engine running, all hatches sealed, life jackets and lanyards on. A small runabout with 3 adults and two small children, no life jackets on passed us going out. We had a fine day out on the ocean. Coming back in we were again prepared for the worst. Suddenly we heard this roar, and heading towards us was this huge breaking wave! My friend asked me what was going to happen. I said I didn't know, but I was pretty sure we were going to get wet! The wave came up under us and boiled all around the stern as we surfed into the inlet for probably a hundred yards, but no water came into the boat. Then it was gone and we motored on in. I have always wondered about the sai... idiots in the small boat!

Gary H. Lucas
Old 10-18-2011

neverknow is on a distinguished road
Barnegat inlet - Google Maps

You can zoom in and see the light plus the channel on the north side.
Old 10-18-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
The owner has posted a remarkably sober and candid account of what happened here:

How it Happened

Damn, I wish they had been able to drive it up on the beach, I could definitely get onboard with a Michael Calabrese-style rescue effort for this gentleman...

He'll sail again some day, you can tell...
Old 10-18-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Man, that would suck! Mistaken buoys for the inlet.

Sounds eerily similar to what may have happened to Rule 62. Seasickness and unfamiliarity with the waters...

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.