Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
What a sad story, and I hope not the "ending" of this saga, just a chapter. It's refreshing to know that someone who invested blood, sweat & tears, not to mention a few of his hard earned dollars, into bringing an old grande dame back to respectability, made a mistake, and then publicly admitted it. You sir, may have only begun the journey to earning the monicker "Captain", but you've earned the right to use it at will in my book. I should hope that your integrity on display is an example of the "norm" as opposed to being a rare occurrence.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I think we've all made the mistake of an overly optimistic assessment. Few have to pay for that mistake with the loss of a boat.
Old 10-22-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
I read about the need for radar, or a chartplotter and I can't help but think none of that would have really helped. I think the root problem is simply a lack of basic coastal navigation skills, whatever equipment you have aboard.

There is a pretty good book on this subject published by the US Coast Guard Auxilliary. I have the second edition published in 1990, because it was written by my wife's boss. She did the word processing for the manuscript sent to the publishers. This of course was before GPS and chart plotters became popular, but the basic skills are certainly the same.

I did Manasquan Inlet to Block Island on a 30' Cape Dory a few years ago. It was my first experience with a chart plotter. I was really impressed with the AIS that showed us at times up to 28 ships approaching New York harbor, many of which we couldn't even see. However the chart plotter not so much. With the screen size and resolution we have today it is like looking at a navigation chart through a pinhole. I find it very difficult to get a sense of where I am from a chart plotter.

I bought my boat the next year and brought it up from the Chesapeake below Annapolis to Toms River, NJ. I bought a current chart kit for the area and it came with a software version of the charts too. I plotted my course for the whole trip on the computer, then printed 8-1/2 x 11 sheets for overlapping areas along my intended path. Together with the full size chart in the cockpit I had a really good sense of where we were the whole time, using a GPS48 handheld.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 10-22-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Yet.. still with all the damage and danger for so very many years, the inlet and jetties are still not maintained in a manor that would make things somewhat safer for the mariner's?

Could it be that because such inlets are almost only used by recreational boaters?

Just as there is no money for the ICW which silted and shoaled again because it's "only" recreational boaters. would be my guess.

Are inlets in New England so badly marked? Lobster and fishing boats come and go in all kinds of bad weather. Would professional Mariners accept, "Oh it's not well marked" ?

Sad the boat was lost sad that there were mistakes made, even more sad is the blame never falls of the Authority that maintains (or doesn't) the inlet from hell.

Don't think I'd ever even consider trying to enter Barnegat if I ever get on the ocean LOL

Yeah I know.. I'm over simplifying LOL

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-22-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I have done Barnegat many times. There are times to not go in, yes and you should not at that time. I respect it quite a bit. I Always come in from 2 miles out...never hugging the shore as shoals abound nearby and right outside almost ALL the 4 sets of pairs of markers going out into the ocean from the jettys.

This inlet curiously enough is one which many commercial boats do use. One of the boats on the TV Show with the Swordfish fishermen comes out this inlet. Many clammers, long liners and commercial netters use this inlet. When offshore at night sometimes the are off the inlet 5-10 miles and look like a city all lit up out in the darkness.

Denise point is well taken about them ignoring dreding as it is mainly for recreational boaters.

Another point...the NJ Islands are barrier islands and migrate naturally to the bay side and silt and fill in. Dredging this huge expense is like the story of Sysaphis who pushed the rock up the hill every day only to watch it roll down every night. Is it really a good use of tax dollars to do this?

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-22-2011

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
Is the boat still there? I live on the island. Maybe I'll drive up to the north end and snap some pics tomorrow.