SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Dumb MMSI question

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  windward54 
#1 ·
We sail outside USA and have fed radio lic and FRN. We sold our mono and bought a cat. The cat has an MMSI programmed from previous owner but I assume we have to get a new number with our personal info and lic. info attached to it
The FCC web site seems a bit confusing, what is the procedure here?
Thanks all

#3 ·
You will need a new MMSI. What sort of a radio is the MMSI programmed into? Many require that you bring the radio into an approved shop or to the manufacturer in order to re-program a new MMSI (my ICOM 801 needed to go back to an authorized store). Some devices have the 'cheat codes' available on the web so that you can do the re-programming yourself.

#5 ·
I do not believe the free BoatUS MMSI is valid outside the US where the OP indicates they sail. If it is a US documented/registered vessel, you will have to pay for a FCC MMSI.

I thought that the MMSI stayed with the vessel, so if it already has one, I have to refresh on how it is transferred.

If you must change from a free one to international, the radio typically needs to be reset by a repair shop.

#6 ·
The problem with the BoatUS and other on-line MMSI services is that the MMSI numbers they generate are not for international waters.

You're going to need a new ship's station license -- when you apply for this, you can ask for a new MMSI.

As others have mentioned, you may need factory assistance to reprogram the MMSI into the radio. Some models only let you change it a time or two before you hit a firewall.

#7 ·
mmsi

Yes, Boat US is only for domestic
I am looking for the easiest way to change info with the FCC. I have spent some time on their website but it is typical gov stuff and messy (man they have a lot of forms, in fact there are forms for the forms)
Perhaps I will call monday

#9 ·
Yes, Boat US is only for domestic
I am looking for the easiest way to change info with the FCC. I have spent some time on their website but it is typical gov stuff and messy (man they have a lot of forms, in fact there are forms for the forms)
Perhaps I will call monday
You just need a new Station license, and when you apply for that it asks for the old MMSI number.

#8 ·
I'm not an authority, but I think most of the previous answers are incorrect. (minewaska is correct)

It's my understanding that the MMSI, and the Station Lic. Goes with the boat, with the station lic is non-transferrable but the MMSI is.

You'll need to apply for a new ship license, but use the PO's existing MMSI. **IF** he got a MMSI from the FCC. If he got it from boat US, you can't transfer it, and that's spelled out very clearly on fcc form 605 for the station lic.

You can easily also re-register a previous MMSI with Boat US; BoatUS.com: Incorporate Non Renewal FCC Numbers but as stated it won't update the international database, and it won't work on a new station license which you'll need anyway, so it would be best to do it with FCC.

#10 ·
In conclusion

Couple points here
1) Again, Boat US does not apply here in any way.
2) To work online you must have a FCC Ref Number or FRN
3) You must have at least a Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit
This stays with you for life. Remember we are talking outside the US
4) You must have a Station License, this is not transferable between boats.

Finally, last post answered my question. With new Station license you can get online and apply the MMSI with the boat with the updated station info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.