my first post, questions regarding ASA certification and disabilities - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011

Eitan Waks is on a distinguished road
my first post, questions regarding ASA certification and disabilities

hi,
first I would like introduce myself. My name is Eitan Waks, and I am 29 years old. In fact, I will be 30 in about a month. I think it's been at least two or three years since I've been thinking about sailing in a serious manner. several weeks ago I began sailing a small dinghy and found it very enjoyable. I always envied the beautiful yachts sailing alongside.

I currently work as a mechanical engineer in high output stressful environment. I've decided that in 3 to 5 years from now I will begin cruising the world. I can't see myself continuing in this manner for long (8:30 AM until 8:30 PM is common). Therefore, about a week ago I decided that cruising is definitely my future.

In addition to being a mechanical engineer, I am also handicapped. When I was 20 years old I was injured during the Army. I broke my C 4/5 vertebrae in my neck. As a result, I was paralyzed from the neck down. Over the years I have regained some function of my arms. I can use both my arms however I have limited to no control over my fingers. I am providing all this information because of the following question.

Although I'm currently enjoying sailing on an accessible 18 foot sailboat (18 foot Scud) with the wonderful help of the local sailing school and the veterans Association, I would like to sail on a sailboat in which I can travel. In order to feel confident I would like to take courses. Either ASA or RYA (hopefully eventually the 106/108 or the RYA equivalent). The problem is, I can't handling the ropes by myself, complete a man overboard, etc.

Should I be taking these courses (101, 103, 104, 105) considering my disability?

by the way, I have only found one yacht that is currently accessible and available for charter. I plan to charter a yacht and acquire private lessons from an accredited school in the Mediterranean. (I live in Israel)

eventually, I would like to purchase a used 45-55 foot yacht and make her accessible for my needs, both sailing (electric winches, etc.) and accommodation (completely wheelchair accessible below deck). Out of curiosity, what would be a ballpark range for the cost of such a project? (I don't need anything luxurious, just a safe hull and to make it accessible).

By the way, I will always have someone to help me. I don't plan on sailing alone, ever.

Thank you for all the great help, I am enjoying reading this forum.
Regards,
Eitan Waks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Eitan. I do wish you good luck with that and suggest you will need to form a partnership and close working relations with an organization thta is already engaged in making sailing handicap-accessible. I used seaworthy yacht in that size range could easily be $150,000-$250,000 US and iy ou need to begin refitting with a modified companionway, modified cockpit, electric or better hydraulic winches in that size range...I suspect you will be looking at $300-400,000 very easily.

As you would be especially at risk from major failures, that also means ensuring the rigging and sails are new, and unless the boat is young, paying close attention to the rudder as conventional rudders with stainless posts often have internal damage.

You've got quite a project ahead of you, enlisting some serious aid for the long term would be the first step to make it happen.
Old 10-16-2011

jerryRiggin is on a distinguished road
Very commendable! Most people are too scared to take their dreams into their own hands and you are doing just that. Kudos!
As for your project it will definitely be an undertaking but completely do-able. I would agree that refitting in preparation for a circumnav in addition to other custom modifications you may desire/require you could easily be looking at four hundred thousand. And agreed you will want to verify that all rigging (I would suggest both standing and running) is new and very reliable.
Something else to consider, have you thought about getting a catamaran. They can sometimes be more accomodating.
Good luck and keep us up to date.
Old 10-16-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Eitan

You may want to look at some cats, the Gemini, especially can be "single level" living quite easily...it also has a wide salon door and relatively flat surfaces to move on.

Best of luck...

no I am not a Gemini rep, just thought that this platform will be easier to convert and at a lower price point...
Old 10-16-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Geoff Holt has a similar disability and completed an unassisted trans-Atlantic sail. His website might provide some information. He sails a cat.

Good luck and welcome to Sailnet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-17-2011

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Eitan, you may want to contact ASA and RYA and see if they have a provision in their list of 101 requirements for those with physical limitations, they may. And once you have 101, you have more "external" credibility with those who might otherwise shake their heads.

Your idea of a larger boat is a good one. If you can't quickly move around the cockpit, such as during a tack or jibe, then you want to be on a boat large and heavy enough where weight placement (at least for your own weight) doesn't matter. Then you can steer from either windward or leeward. Electric self-tailing winches help, as of course does a good crew.

Don't be discouraged. I have been soundly beaten in races in Shields class (30' keel daysailer type) by a very heavy and very old guy who had to be lowered into the boat with a crane. But he could "smell' the windshifts early, and made the boat go fast. Much of sailing is more brains than brawn.

As Henry Ford once said, "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right".

Last edited by nolatom; 10-17-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.