Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
I love my wife!

We were having a discussion over dinner this evening.

The talk turned to the topic of sailing.

My wife let me know that the reason she is so concerned about falling overboard is that she believes that this would make her a nuisance!

Now, my wife wasn't the least bit interested in sailing before we got the boat five years ago. In the last five years she has grown to love many aspects of the pastime: especially anchoring out and managing the sails. She still is very apprehensive about taking the helm and sailing in heavy (for us) weather. When we started she would be very nervous when the boat heeled or the waves got over 1/2 a metre. The last time we were heeled over at 15 degrees, in 1 1/2 metre waves, she was down below preparing lunch i.e. the conditions didn't faze her.

I was surprised to hear her that it wasn't drowning or abandonment that made her want to stay aboard. Rather it was the concern that she might 'put me out' that motivates her.

I love my wife!

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
A good seawife. You're a lucky man.
Old 10-16-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Did you ask her how she felt about YOU going overboard?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Lucky dogg QUICK tell her yall need a bigger boat lol.
Old 10-16-2011
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Did you ask her how she felt about YOU going overboard?
Shhhh!! Don't give her any ideas!

From one Taffy to another, you're a lucky man. Of course, for that matter, so am I. The day before I proposed we were in 25kt headwinds, choppy seas, I was motoring and my wife was down below eating hot chili while the boat was rolling, soggy and smelling a wee bit of diesel.

She passed the seasickness test that day. No -->

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 10-16-2011
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
My wife and I are only married now for 6 months. 4 months ago, she gave me the cash to get this boat! hehehe. But then she has a hobby (that I share with her) of field trialing, which sucks up tons of $$ and I think that helped mitigate the guilt of spending so much on trialing (I mean, geesh I could have a 30 footer on the Chessie for what we spend JUST on the horses!). I thought I had a pretty cool wife.

PS: Get her ASA lessons. Maybe she'll have more "control" over whether she goes in the water, and what to do with a water rescue (as both a rescuer, and rescuee).
Old 10-17-2011

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Did you ask her how she felt about YOU going overboard? It did come up and the final word on it was: if I end up overboard I'd be in for a long swim.

Lucky dogg QUICK tell her yall need a bigger boat lol. Working on it!

Get her ASA lessons. Maybe she'll have more "control" over whether she goes in the water, and what to do with a water rescue (as both a rescuer, and rescuee). We have both completed the CPS (Canadian Power & Sail Squadron) boating course and Radio Operator (Marine) course. We took the CYA (Canadian Yachting Association) Intermediate Cruising course - I took the skipper standard, she (by her choice) took the crew standard. In that course we practiced COB scenarios. I think she has a lot of control over whether or not she goes in the water as she hasn't fallen in yet even though she has been on deck to raise the main in some pretty snotty conditions.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.