Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
The one I saw was a bene oceanis 352. It's a 35 footer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2011

mrlassiter is on a distinguished road
We sail a hunter 34 out of Ventura on occasion, and in the same conditions (or worse, usually) and it is like a hobby horse. Even I don't like the action on it, so much... I think it is a function of a narrow(bow to stern-wise) fin keel and the light weight. (not much experience here, but...) We have sailed a few older, heavier boats that seemed less 'pitchy'. You might try crewing on some other boats, both older-heavier and newer-longer, to see how you like them. If you crew as newbie racers, so much the better, you may find much different perspective on sailing, boats, and adventure... Also, what others said about leaving the main up (to quiet the sideways motion) and easing sheets to lessen heel.

Hope you find your solution! Also, wouldn't mind sailing with you, ourselves, if you'ld like another couple to go along. My wife probably feels much the same about the venture.

mrlassiter.

Last edited by mrlassiter; 10-20-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-20-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
After being out for about 45 minutes, she wanted to turn back..."I have to hold on too much...
Instead of buying a new boat, perhaps you just need to lash her more securely to the stanchions...

Old 10-20-2011
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road
Threads like this remind me not to take my wife for granted. Flowers tonight....
Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Old 10-25-2011

Bamazeb is on a distinguished road
Newbie from reading this and your other threads it appears that you are into high winds, big waves and alot of speed. If you go for the bigger boat you probably wont get the splash in the face experience you are looking for. I'd suggest taking your wife out on the calm days since that is what she seems to enjoy. Throw out the 150 and enjoy the afternoon together. Buy a Hobie 16 for yourself on those wild days when you want the Rush. If you buy the 35+ boat and she ultimtely doesnt get in to it. You might find yourself sailing solo as a Liveaboard.
Old 10-26-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Newport,

Keep the boat you currently own a SAILboat not a floating condo. the floating condos have dreadful sailing qualities. think Minivan vs. Miata

the floating condos might be bigger, but they are bigger in all the wrong places - excessive freeboard, wide sterns, and big fat masts - so a 50 ft floating condo might not be more sta le than your 30ftr. Your 30ftr was designed primarily to be a good round the blouys racer for precisely the conditions off Balboa Pier.

simlpy sail with her on calm days in Newport. she will slowly get acclimated. You should get a bit more experience before sailing in heavy conditions in a y event.

BTW how much driving time has she had ? Give her the chan e to take the helm, she will gradually slowly become more comfortable with the entire experience and eventually will want to drve outside.
jameswilson29 likes this.

Last edited by WDS123; 10-26-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-26-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Just checked out your stunning video - beautiful images and perfect music.

Now for my comments on the sailing. This was relatively light air and calm seas, yet you were helped over quite a bit, there should have been little or nor water co,ing over the bow.

Some advice:

1) learn to manipulate your sail controls ( vang, Cunningham, outhaul ) to control how powered up or down the boat is.

2) go to minney's and spend $100 for a 95% jib which will fit on this boat - rig the jib when you go outside until you can control your mainsail. Wife will thank you.

3) learn to work the mainsail to keep the boat flat. Ease when it heels and power up in lulls.

4) telltales for the foresails, and the leech of the main. Old cassette tape is the best.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 10-26-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSchock View Post
Newport,

Keep the boat you currently own a SAILboat not a floating condo. the floating condos have dreadful sailing qualities. think Minivan vs. Miata

the floating condos might be bigger, but they are bigger in all the wrong places - excessive freeboard, wide sterns, and big fat masts - so a 50 ft floating condo might not be more sta le than your 30ftr. ...
Look at this floating Condo and to its performance. I can easily find monohull condos with very good performance.

Gunboat 66 Video - YouTube

Phaedo Caribbean 600 - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErvJft2Osv0

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-26-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-26-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Look at this floating Condo and to its performance. I can easily find monohull condos with very good performance.

Gunboat 66 Video - YouTube
Gazelle is for sale (2008 Gunboat 66 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com).

Anybody wanna go in as partners?
Old 10-26-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
So the wife doesn't want to get out of sailing. She wants to look at a 35 ft Beneteau and wonders if that will be a smoother sailing boat. I also wonder if i can still easily singlehand it like I can this one.
We sailed a Cal 2-29 out of Alamitos Bay YC for years--and years. All over heck's half acre. And more than once took a butt kicking trying to make it back up-wind to Long Beach from Dana Point or Newport. We later brought the boat here to SW Florida. My wife was always game. We bought our First 42 in the fall of 2001 and took delivery in January 2002. The difference in the boats is/was major. While on our first trip on the "big" boat we got into some butt-kicking weather. My wife was so much more calm that I commented on it and she confided that on the Cal she always felt fearful, even in fair weather but on the First she felt very safe because she wasn't "so close to the water". Now she does about all of the "driving" when the auto-pilot is not and I handle the physical labor and she's very happy and confident. No guaranty but you may find the same with your wife.

Mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Uh Oh.....This may be a deal breaker....-kitt-sailing.jpg  
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."