Any Navy or other military occupations that have helped you prepare for living aboard - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011

ams5995 is on a distinguished road
Any Navy or other military occupations that have helped you prepare for living aboard

Hello everyone

I am wondering if there are any vets or current people in the Navy (or military or for that matter ANY job out there) who feel like it has made them a better sailor, and I am actually asking for advice on which job in the Navy would be good to seek if I joined that would prepare me the most for living aboard. I am not dead set on joining the Navy, but I am 26 now with almost 0 debt (about to pay off my last 1000$ of credit card debt). I've begun selling my items too lol. I think joining the Navy I could learn valuable things that would help me on a boat and perhaps save some money for when I get out in 4 years (assuming I do that). Also, what are some hobbies or general knowledge that have come in handy that you were glad you had? Is it easy as an American (I'm from Forida) to go to somewhere like Mexico, live on their boat and find a part time or dinky job to make ends meet (great thing about not having debt

TL;DR
I want to know who has a job that really helped them with living aboard ... like fixing things or safety or xyz.

edit:
my job requires quick hand eye coordination and being able to do a thing over and over and over again. I enjoy playing piano, which helps keep me sharp. Also, I am a very safe automobile driver due to my car is very slow (diesel and old and about to die), so I think I would make a good sailor in this aspect. However, I am not too handy at fixing electrical, plumbing, or other general handyman issues, but that could change quickly on a sailboat if I HAD to fix something.

I live on the water so seeing nice weather is absolute TORTURE. I am going to have to be a budget sailor with very little expenses. What is a reasonable budget to get myself a boat that I can live on? I am 26, no kids, no pets (I will let a lizard live on my boat or find a seagull or pelican if I need one lol), male, like to drink occasionally, read, just enjoy the experience. I don't need all sorts of gadgets and gismos but maybe during my journey I will pick some up is what I'm thinking. I don't need a marina as I can find a bayou or something. I will need lots of water, some food, a bicycle, small cash flow, good weather. I am talking pretty barebones at first. Light and relaxed. Maybe open a trade route lol I am getting ahead of myself. I get really excited when I think about this.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I'm a Coast Guard vet. I learned seamanship and boat handling as a Boatswain's Mate.
Old 10-19-2011
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
Cabinetmaker. I'm a computer guy by trade, but my hobby is cabinet making, and the skills and tools it brought to me have been VERY useful in maintaining the boat. I would think a pro would bring even more.
ams5995 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased
Old 10-19-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Royal Canadian Artillery helped me with learning self discipline and introduced me to maps and cartography. Charts are still a passion; I collect antique charts of some of the areas I have been on the water.
upei1 and ams5995 like this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 10-19-2011

Leftbrainstuff is on a distinguished road
Motorsport, Military Experience

I've found my background in the motorsport industry to have been great preparation for maintaining, improving and fixing any yacht problems from composite, electronics, mechanical, structural, ergonomic and corrosion.

With qualifications as a mechanic and air frame welder and professional engineering qualifications including a Masters in Materials Welding and Joining I'm not daunted by any problem

A stint in the Australian Army gave me the confidence and practical problem solving skills in difficult situations that sailing seems to demand.

So my advice is to join the military and get an engineering skill. You wont regret it.
Old 10-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
I'm a Coast Guard vet. I learned seamanship and boat handling as a Boatswain's Mate.
i just read a wikipedia article on boatswains mate...sounds quite useful for learning to tie knots.
Old 10-19-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftbrainstuff View Post
I've found my background in the motorsport industry to have been great preparation for maintaining, improving and fixing any yacht problems from composite, electronics, mechanical, structural, ergonomic and corrosion.
It was my experience in motorsport that got me into sailing. I went to grad school in Houston. Before I went I was a co-driver in a rally car. We used to joke that three qualities were needed: a belief that your driver was god, the ability to do cube roots in your head, and a complete inability to throw up.

One of one classmates approached me one day to confirm that I was OK with taking risks and that I did not get motion sick easily. After I responded in the affirmative she asked if I wanted to join the crew of a racing yacht; she said they would teach me all I needed to know.

The rest is history.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 10-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherBowman View Post
Cabinetmaker. I'm a computer guy by trade, but my hobby is cabinet making, and the skills and tools it brought to me have been VERY useful in maintaining the boat. I would think a pro would bring even more.

I used to think I would get into computers until I bought a 1000 page TCP/IP book...Maybe if I buy a boat and boredom sets in I will pick it back up lol. I do have a little woodworking (mainly helping my grandfather make beds). He used to pay me like 50$ a weekend to help him sand. Man oh man do I have some hours just sanding.
Old 10-19-2011

neverknow is on a distinguished road
I was in the US Navy back in the 80's. Much has changed but also much has stayed the same. Our son will be applying for the US Naval Academy in 2013 so we are still up to date on today's Navy.

If you are going in as a enlisted man make certain that you have a job listed on your enlistment contract. If not you'll end up just cleaning and painting as a full time job. That is the lowest job on a navy ship. Everyone else will be on liberty while you work.

I was a ET (electronics tech) they will teach you how to work on electronics to the component level.

Just a few jobs in the Navy that might help, keep in mind the Navy doesn't really sail.

Signalman.

Aerographer’s Mates are the Navy's meteorological and oceanographic experts

Engine man.

Rescue swimmer.

Diver.

These are just a few jobs you can learn to do. There are many many more. It's best to just see a recruiter they can give you a simple test and ask you some questions that will steer you in the right direction. Again just keep in mind do not sign anything until you see what they tell you in writing. Many times people tend to hear what they want to hear. What a recruiter says really doesn't matter it's what's on your contract that does. You will not actually sign the contract until you are at a MEPS (military enlistment processing station) chances are your recruiter will not be there. At MEPS they give you a physical and stuff like that. At the end of the processing you will sign the contract and swear in.

In our family we have had 12 members join over the years and today a few are still in. Those who have gotten out have had great careers. Like I said before our son who is still in HS is preparing for the USNA.

You only get one chance while you are young to serve your country. Later in life you'll look back and be proud you did.

Thanks and good luck to you.

Last edited by neverknow; 10-19-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Excellent. If ams5995's objective is to learn skills that will serve him well aboard a boat, the Coast Guard is the service of choice. In general, however, most of the military offers a lot of training that is beneficial in terms of self reliance and self discipline that is necessary aboard.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.