The Windy city lives up to its name - boats damaged - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2011

mbetter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawghouseagain View Post
You probably know this, but just in case, make sure you get approval from the harbor master before you take that dive. From Westrec's rules and regulations: "(1) No person shall swim, dive, water ski or windsurf within the Harbor System, except for divers cleaning boats or retrieving lost items after receiving the approval of the Harbor Manager." Of course I have spent time down at Burnham and the "rules" dont seem to apply down there as I see people swimming in the harbor all of the time. Its downright dangerous. My biggest fear is turning the corner on one of the docks and hitting one of the swimmers that are usually right smack in the middle. Sorry for the rant.

I will tell you what. I have a very modest boat and up until now have never considered a slip in one of the other harbors because paying about double just didnt really make sense to me. After this occurence, I am starting to reconsider. I am VERY eager to see what the new 31st street harbor does to slip availabilty AND prices next year. That thing is going to have 1000 slips. I think I read in their promotional materials that the current waiting list is something like 300 boats (*thats the waiting list for the entire harbor system, not just the new place). If enough people move down there that spots open up in any of the north side harbors and prices come down even a little I will have a tough decision to make.
There were slips open in Belmont and Montrose harbors when I launched in May this past season. I think most of the waiting list is for people trying to get into DuSable, and to a lesser extent Burnham. Monroe was at about 50% capacity at the time, they're really hurting right now.

Nobody really seems to give a crap about people swimming in Monroe, as long as you don't get in the way of the tenders. I'm really tempted to see if they actually enforce the ban on fishing as I bet you could pull some nice bass hanging around those mooring blocks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2011

zaldog is on a distinguished road
The state of Monroe Harbor Chicago

RULES Hahaha, the only thing that is enforced is checking your head so that it can not discharge into the lake (must have a holding tank) other than that we always swim and dive from my boat as do most of the harbor. Fishing well of course I see guys pull up to open cans tie off and fish for a few hours all the time.

Monroe is currently 600 cans less than in 2008. Each year around 200 less cans. People either can't afford to moor there boats or simply are not launching them. I talked to one guy who said they remove cans to make the harbor look full so they can get state funds. Also most likely the south end of the harbor will go first, moving as much as the can to the north. I am waiting to see how much 31st marina will charge for slips because Dusable is ridiculously expensive (most expensive harbor on lake Mich). Only time will tell, but if morrings go away that means alot of us boaters will be hard pressed to afford 5-7k a season for a slip.
Old 10-24-2011

Dawghouseagain is on a distinguished road
A very sad state indeed. Removing cans to get state funds? Only in Chicago. I love this city but it seems like more and more decisions around here are being made in the interests of this "state grant" or some "great deal" for the city while fewer and fewer are being made with the average citizens best interests at heart. I am sure you all know exactly what I am talking about. Sorry to go off on a tangent, just hard to watch such a great city (or certain people in power) milk its citizens dry.

I am a life long Chicago resident but newer to the harbor system. Can any of you here comment on how the rates have changed over the long term? What I mean is have they stayed relatively steady or should I be expecting to pay more and more each year?
Old 10-24-2011

zaldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawghouseagain View Post
Can any of you here comment on how the rates have changed over the long term? What I mean is have they stayed relatively steady or should I be expecting to pay more and more each year?
I have been in this system for the past 5 years expect around $100 a year. I currently pay $1700 for a 30 foot mooring. The kicker is that you have to pay in full by mid February every year to keep your assigned can.