Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2011

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
I sailed there a few days ago from MDR- the previous post is right- one long tack. I don't know how it will be from LB. The mooring at Ishmus Harbor cost $32 for one night. That was on a Sunday night. I imagine Avalon will be more costly, and I've heard it is extremely crowded on the 4th and you have to reserve a spot, unless you are anchoring somewhere. Also bring a kayak or dinghy as the water taxi is $5 per person per trip.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2011
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road
The sail from Long beach shouldn't be too much different than from MDR once they round the Palos Verdes point. You should still be on a reach, maybe a close reach but not dead into the wind for sure. Obviously it depends, but that time a year it's pretty consistent.

Also, just FYI, Laguna doesn't have a harbor. IF that is what you would need, try Newport or Dana Point. Newport has a nice fireworks show on the Forth, I'm sure DP does too.

Most likely you won't get a mooring at Avalon around the Forth, you might have more luck at the Isthmus.

BTW, Magnetic course to the ISTHMUS from Los Angeles Light is 204 deg.
Old 10-21-2011

glassdad is on a distinguished road
You won't get a mooring in Avalon on July 4th. The moorings are private and the city rents them out if the owner is not using them. But, every mooring is either loaned to a friend or taken by boats that arrive earlier in the week. Plan on anchoring in 50' to 100' of water. Yes that is close in.
Old 10-21-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Very doable - by extra experienced sailors.

1) practice sailing in Long Beach inside the breakwater then

2) Practice sailing outside the breakwater then

3) sail Long Beach to Newport Harbor and then back then

4) sail Long Beach to MDR then

This post can not go into the major safety items you need to have on board when going in an open small boat in the Ocean, but imagine the boat swamps and you are in 58 degree water for 4 hours.
Old 10-22-2011

arthursteingart is on a distinguished road
I plan on anchoring outside Laguna 300 yards from the beach. Ive heard from locals it's legal. Do you know anything about it?
Old 10-22-2011
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthursteingart View Post
I plan on anchoring outside Laguna 300 yards from the beach. Ive heard from locals it's legal. Do you know anything about it?
I don't know if it's legal or not but don't know why one would want to. Laguna is not very protected and, of course this area is a windward shore.

A popular spot to anchor out during the day is Emerald Bay (I think, I'll double check) which is between Newport and Laguna. Again, not sure if it's legal overnight, still not very protected though.

I know you can anchor off Newport just south of the jetties (actually it's Corona Del Mar) You can stay there for 24 hours I believe as long as someone is on the boat. But if you're in Newport, might as well stay in the bay at the anchorage for free, I think they let you stay for five days.

Last edited by GMFL; 10-22-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-23-2011
Monty 17

rigbee is on a distinguished road
If your up to it then I'm sure the Monty is. If Robert Manry in Tinkerbelle can do the Atlantic, then proper preparation and experience will get you there in a Monty.
Best of luck!
Old 10-31-2013

Lothario is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing to Catalina Island

Prevailing conditions would be the wind blowing from the island, so you'll be beating all the way there. A lot of locals leave early and motor over, and then sail back. The wind usually picks up in the afternoon, blowing 10-20 knots, with gusts to 25 knots. The swell is usually on your beam.

Hi, I thought prevailing winds was nw to the island from long beach, so it would seem to be a pretty easy run going there..
Old 10-31-2013

meteuz is on a distinguished road

I think 8HP might be a bit too much engine for the M17. I see most people using 4-5HP. Extra HP does not get you more speed with sailboats, but could hurt sailing performance. You generally don't want to weight down the ends of a boat.

There is no question that the M17 is up to the challenge. The question is are you? With 6 years of experience, I would say that you should be ready. It might be a bit outside your comfort zone, but that is how to grow. It is definitely not suicidal. Make sure you are comfortable reefing, and reef early.
Old 10-31-2013
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

I'd skip Avalon altogether, especially on a holiday weekend. You'll likely not get a bouy unless you have VERY GOODconnections, so you'll be herded in to the "bullpen" adjacent to the harbor where you'l be exposed to weather 24/7, and your little boat will get continually tossed by larger boat wakes. I'd stick with Two Harbors and areas adjacent to it. There are several small coves North of there that offer some protection. As stated, the best plan is to go early, like three days early.