Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2011

genkinyc is on a distinguished road
New boat purchase in NC to home in NYC/NJ ?

Hi, I'm hoping to purchase a 30ft with a 5.3 draft that is docked in North Carolina.

I'm looking for advice on how to get her back up to the NYC/NJ area.

I have some beginner experience on rental sailboats. We both have ASA basic keelboat, basic coastal cruising and some navigation skills.

A leisurely motor up the ICW looks to be the safest option. It would be a first time for such a journey and I'd prefer to sail as much as possible.

Looks like we would have to go offshore for the Jersey part of the trip.

I looked into the offshore option from NC but I don't think that I would have enough experience. Perhaps with a delivery captain for a few days but I'm not sure how that would work out - maybe as far as Cape May or something like that. Sounds expensive.

Crew is myself and the missus, she has equal experience.

Looking for advice - what would you do? Or perhaps this is crazy?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Your biggest concern, at this point in time, is weather. Also, your inexperience with living on a boat. My suggestion would be, if you have the time, is to spend a few days on the boat, before committing to the trip. Then decide if you're up to doing it, or it would be better to have it delivered.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-21-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Lots of options:

1 - if you have the time - sail / motor it up to the Chesapeake and determine if you can handle it. We sailed our "new to us" Irwin from Annapolis to the east coast of Canada.
a - if you are not comfortable - have her pulled and truck her
b - if you are comfortable - C&D canal / Cape May / Sandy Hook / and home.
2 - have someone come on for part of the trip
3 - truck her the whole way
4 - have someone sail / motor it for you
5 - have someone sail / motor it for you and you go on for part of the trip

Lots of ideas - you have to decide what you can do.

There are no points lost for having it trucked, if that is where you comfort zone is.

Rik
Old 10-21-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Hi Genkinnyc,

Welcome. Based on what you've told us regarding your experience I would suggest considering hiring an experienced captain to assist you in this trip, or an finding an experienced skipper/crew willing to help you out. I also think that your best bet at this point is to stay inside as much as possible. For the NJ coast, you can jump from Cape May to AC and from AC to Sandy Hook with a couple of days of good weather.
Days are getting shorter, and weather is getting colder though..it's almost November!

Having an experienced skipper imho could make the difference between a well managed pleasurable trip for you.... and a stress filled, potentially de-moralizing disaster.

There's another possibility that you can consider and that's hauling the boat in NC for the winter and returning in the spring to do the trip. ( I'd still look for an experienced hand)

Another reason, to stay inside ( ICW) is that this is really a shakedown cruise you both you and the vessel. Having things break, inside, is less consequential than on the ocean; though, not without it's own challenges. A good survey will reveal any items that need immediate attention and may require that you address them before leaving port.
A fixed schedule, is the enemy of the prudent sailor. Take your time, make sure she's ready for trial. You might even want to do some small shake down cruises in NC before your march north. ( spring? )

I would also invest in an unlimited towing policy from Boat US it's probably the best insurance policy on the market...

Good luck with your new Vessel, congratulations!
Old 10-21-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
3 - truck her the whole way cause its a really long ride at 5MPH with now really short daylight and its this is no fun wet and cold steady 20 knots+windy season up here now
jimgo likes this.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 10-21-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Is this boat so special that you can't find another that is closer?

The idea to have her trucked this time of year is good, but I have a feeling that it will cost as much as the boat itself. What are paying for her?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-21-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Rik and Tempest have excellent points. This time of year is not really the best time to head north as fronts come through every three days or so and the Nnortherly winds behind them tend to be stronger and heavier this time of year. By itself no big deal, but with a new to you and untested biat. not a great idea.

Shakedown up the Chessapeake is a good idea then down the Delaware...to At;antic City and then Sandy Hook very doable. We do this every year from the Chessie on our way to Nre England or the LI Sound.

Minne also brings up a good point, what kind of boat....and there are lots of good ones up north too.

If you wait till the spring I would be willing to take the trip from the Chessapeake up north with you and I am sure I have a few sailing friends on here who would join in.

Dave

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-22-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
If you do wait until spring, I'd buddy boat you from NC to the Chessie. If you do decide to wait, unless you want it hauled, rates here at the Hilton Marina in New Bern are about as low as you get in NC. With good access by air or vehicle.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 10-22-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
With your limited experience, a boat that size, and the difficulty of sailing the NJ coast in the late fall weather, its a no brainer. Have it trucked up. Read this tread if you need more convincing.

Boat Sinks off Barnegat Inlet
Old 10-22-2011
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
I'm newer to sailing than you. I looked at buying an Irwin in Long Island and sailing it to south Jersey - that part alone is at least a 3-4 day adventure, and that's only if the weather cooperates. Noving the boat from NC to NJ/NY is going to be a LONG trip. The cost of having 25' Irwin trailered from LI to Ocean City, NJ was easily $800-1000. You can probably count on your cost of having it trailered being double to tripple that amount. I'm not sure what your budget is, but when you tack on the cost of moving the boat, you are probably going to be able to find another boat like it in the NY area. Have you looked through the Craigslist listings for New York, Long Island, Central NJ, Northern NJ, and the Jersey Shore? All of those cover or are close to your desired destination and, depending on your budget, you can find some really sweet deals.

FWIW, I wound up limiting my search to a 4-5 day sail from home. I was doing the move earlier in the season, and I assumed 8 hours "at sea" a day @ about 5 knots on average, or somewhere in the 40 mile range per day, giving me about 160 miles North and South of my desired destination.

Do you know where you want to keep the boat? What's so special about it? Sorry, not trying to be nosy, just curious!
1975 Albacore 15

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.