SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Travel Time?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  SVAuspicious 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me about how long it would take at this time of year mid week to travel from Hampton Roads Beltway area to milemarker 0. I am a power boater and if possible can do 20 Knots. Thanks first time and trying to estimate travel time in these short hour days.

#2 ·
The general formula to compute time traveled (T) is T=60(Distance)/Speed

Your time will also depend on the current and possibly wind depending on the configuration of your power boat. But the formula above will give you an approximate idea of how long it should take.

#4 ·
I am talking AICW mile marker "0" in the Norfolk VA area. I don't know speed due to slow speed zones and Navy/Ship activities normally occuring in this area as I have not been to this area.
That is the help I need "experience" in traveling this route.

#6 ·
Yes - I mean The Hampton Roads Beltway is a loop of Interstate 64 and Interstate 664. What do you mean the "River"? On plane - meaning no speed restrictions at all? What do you mean by "drop down" - is that no wake 5 or 6 Knots or what? It is about 14 nautical miles from the Bridge/Tunnel to MM "0". 2 hours seems like a lot but I appreciate the help if you could just clear up my confusion.

#7 ·
Yes - I mean The Hampton Roads Beltway is a loop of Interstate 64 and Interstate 664. What do you mean the "River"? On plane - meaning no speed restrictions at all? What do you mean by "drop down" - is that no wake 5 or 6 Knots or what?
I didn't mean to be vague.

I've been through the area a lot but I'm not local. From what I recall there are no speed restrictions in the lower James River and the lower Bay. You can go as fast as conditions and courtesy to nearby boaters permit.

In the Elizabeth River I think there is a speed zone past the Navy facilities, a brief open area, and then another speed zone down to mile 0. I may not recall correctly as 6 kts is about as fast as I go these days so the no wake zone boundaries aren't relevant to me.

Planing is the description applied to high(er) speed boats operating fast enough to be in non-displacement mode. That is what happens when you get over about 10 knots and suddenly start going a lot faster. Drop down is a colloquialism for slowing down sufficiently to come off plane and complying with speed limits in no wake zones.

In that area it would be wise to have a VHF radio turned on. If you have dual watch, listen to 16 and 13 otherwise certainly listen to 16.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.