Because some of you will understand (sailing with dog related)... - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By josrulz
  • 1 Post By DRFerron

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Because some of you will understand (sailing with dog related)...

There really aren't a lot of places someone can post something like this to a crowd who might "get it." This morning, we awoke on the Wye River in Maryland--a gorgeous fall morning I might add--and I did something that I've done over and over with no success. I brought our dog to the foredeck to her PupHead (fake grass thingy), expecting that she'd blow it off, likely not even bothering look at it while gazing longingly at the shore. Instead she went straight to to her astroturf throne and peed! It was the first time she'd done so, and I felt like jumping up and down and yelling!

We rescued our dog over this past winter, but she was already almost a year old. It's been tough to retrain her on her potty habits, but we keep trying and trying.

Of course, getting her to repeat this behavior will be the next trick. But at least she did it this first time, and she was rewarded handsomely--she must have thought she'd won the lottery with all the treats and praise she got.

I love our dog, but I loathe the dinghy rides back and forth and changing our cruising habits just so we can be in places where we can take her ashore. My attitude has been that if she's going to be sailing dog, we need her to be able to stay (and "go") on the boat (of course if we don't succeed, that's just the way it goes). So this was just the first step, but it was a big one. If we can get her to do this a couple more times, then we're in business.

Thanks for letting me share my inane elation at a dog peeing on my boat.
Cheers,
J
Izzy1414 and CalebD like this.
Old 10-23-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
J...thats great progress. You dog was so cute. Positive conditioning . Once they get it they will return to their :smell: and go aaigin

Over the last three weekends we have spent two nights on the Wye...Dividing Creek and Granary Creek. NOo better place in the world in the AM.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
We have a neighbor who taught his dog to pee in one of those astroturf thingies. Before that he had to make "pit stops" every couple of hours so the dog could relieve himself.

The problems started when the dog refused to go anywhere except on the astroturf on the boat.
josrulz likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-23-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Been to the mouth of the Wye myself. What a place!

J,
Dave hit the nail on the head when he mentioned "smell". Dog's are scent oriented as I'm sure you have noticed. Do not clean that piece of grassy thingy too well as you want her to be able to smell it again so she repeats her performance. It only takes one dog to start a pissing contest! This is how they get a dog to pee on cue on TV is make sure it smells another dog's urine in that spot. I'm not sure how well human pee would work but might be worth a try in small doses.

Still that is progress. I'm glad you seem to have the patience to deal with your rescue dog. If you keep up the good work you might very well have a boat dog on your hands.

Everybody has one:

Old 10-23-2011
Unpaid Intern

We were actually in Dividing Creek. It really is a beautiful spot. Not much sailing this weekend (wind either too light or right on our stern and then still too light), but still a gorgeous weekend on the water.

As we motored out of the Wye, there was so much wildlife--we even saw what we think was a bufflehead--could have been a grebe--not sure. But he was black and white and he dove under water. Anyway, it was good fun, and just nice to get away.
Old 10-23-2011
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Been to the mouth of the Wye myself. What a place!

J,
Dave hit the nail on the head when he mentioned "smell". Dog's are scent oriented as I'm sure you have noticed. Do not clean that piece of grassy thingy too well as you want her to be able to smell it again so she repeats her performance. It only takes one dog to start a pissing contest! This is how they get a dog to pee on cue on TV is make sure it smells another dog's urine in that spot. I'm not sure how well human pee would work but might be worth a try in small doses.

Still that is progress. I'm glad you seem to have the patience to deal with your rescue dog. If you keep up the good work you might very well have a boat dog on your hands.
Yeah, she's doing great. She gets excited about being on the boat, and has figured out when the boat starts bouncing or rolling to just hunker down. The only really big hurdle is making sure she can go when she needs to go. She has an iron bladder--seriously she can wait. But we don't want her to. So progress is progress.

All we did with the Pup Head was dunk it. No soap or anything. Fingers crossed for next time...
-J
Old 10-23-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Doesn't matter what, it's always a joy when something works right.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 10-25-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
J, I have been lectured by so many dogs "HEY YOU KNOW FOR THE SMARTER SPECIES YOU'RE BEING REALLY DENSE HERE DON'T YOU GET IT?!" that I can very much appreciate the joy when a dog finally says "SO THAT'S WHAT YOU WANTEd? YOU COULD HAVE JUST ASKED YOU KNOW"

And I find that liver treats (uhgh, I hate them) or the jerky-wrapped yam strips (never seen a dog turn one down) make a good way to let the dog know THAT'S RIGHT! and whatever the dog just did, for those treats they learn real fast to do it again as soon as they can.

Very good dog animal and child (ahem) training book by a pro trainer, inexpensive used, called something like "Don't Shoot The Dog..." that goes into positive reinforcement and really simplifies a lot of training things. Copiuous praise & treat really reinforces that good behavior and wires it in fast.
Old 10-25-2011

JedNeck is on a distinguished road
My dog is the best dog you would ever want to know. Always has been...well except for 6-12 months...total bitch...but other than that been the best dog ever for ten years.
She will go to the dock and sit in the boat even if we aren't sailing that day. We only sail for an hour or two at a time so no fire hydrant needed on my boat. She only goes out twice a day at home anyway.
Old 10-25-2011
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
J, I have been lectured by so many dogs "HEY YOU KNOW FOR THE SMARTER SPECIES YOU'RE BEING REALLY DENSE HERE DON'T YOU GET IT?!" that I can very much appreciate the joy when a dog finally says "SO THAT'S WHAT YOU WANTEd? YOU COULD HAVE JUST ASKED YOU KNOW"

And I find that liver treats (uhgh, I hate them) or the jerky-wrapped yam strips (never seen a dog turn one down) make a good way to let the dog know THAT'S RIGHT! and whatever the dog just did, for those treats they learn real fast to do it again as soon as they can.

Very good dog animal and child (ahem) training book by a pro trainer, inexpensive used, called something like "Don't Shoot The Dog..." that goes into positive reinforcement and really simplifies a lot of training things. Copiuous praise & treat really reinforces that good behavior and wires it in fast.
Yeah, this was definitely a "So that's what you wanted?" moment. At least I hope so! She got treats (not liver treats, but hopefully good enough), and tons of praise. My guess is that she still might resist the PupHead, but if she knows she can go there, then she will when she really must. And hopefully we can use that to get her to use it more regularly. For now, I'll take this one success and be happy about it.