SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Personal Anchor Data (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/80110-personal-anchor-data.html)

orthomartin 10-25-2011 02:44 PM

Personal Anchor Data

First let me say I have NO affiliation with any company. Second, for some reason some people get emotional about their anchors and this post is not inteded to start another anchor debate, but rather share data I have collected.

Now in our 4th year of full time cruising, and I mean "cruising" cruising, not one passage to GeorgeTown and lift anchor at the end of the season kind of thing, we have spent 2.5 years in the Med., and 1 year in Caribbean including time in Bahamas. These areas provide very clear water so normally after setting anchor I snorkel and check the set. When in the crowded Adriatic (croatia) I started checking surrounding boat anchors to see whom was going to drag on us in the night :) I started collecting data on what anchors, how long the drag before set, and how often it was what I called "set". For me that was about 3/4 of the surface area buried. So...

180 CQR, 128 Delta, 92 Bruce, 64 Rocna, 60 Spade, 51 Mason Supreme
Non plow were excuded and numbers under 50 total excluded.

CQR: Ave drag 42', set 10% (19 of the 180. Almost all on their sides)
Delta drag 21", set 21% (101/128)
Bruce drag 22' set 22% (82/92)
Rocna drag 8' set 92% (59/64)
Spade drag 6' set 98% (59/60)
Mason drag 8' set 96% (49/51)

Bottom types; 72% sand, 24% mud, 4% mix Note, no very soft mud included as water was not that clear in those situations.

I know I know there are many variables to setting anchor but this is random observation of the mix so the good and bad techniques should average out.

For the record, after the first year I gave my CQR away and bought a Spade but to each his own. I hope this info is helpful. It was fun collecting!

skygazer 10-25-2011 02:59 PM

Interesting! I enjoy and most appreciate when people share their own experience.

Anyone can substitute google for intelligence and observation. It does not seem to occur to some that whatever they google was written by a fallible person.

I do think you should check your percentage calculations, perhaps I misunderstood, but for example 101 of 128 equals 79%, not 21%.

I also dive on my anchors. Very helpful and informative.

GMFL 10-25-2011 04:35 PM

Yea, the math's not there. But it is interesting. I wonder if those who would purchase Rocna may take anchoring more seriously so they make sure their anchor is set. As opposed to those who may have purchased a boat that came with a CQR or just purchased the least expensive anchor who may either not care or aren't schooled in proper anchoring procedures. Maybe they just pulled up to a spot, dropped their anchor and 200' of rode and never backed down. I guess you'd have to watch each boat anchor to determine???

orthomartin 10-25-2011 04:40 PM

ohps

math was a typo error, sorry

Rick486 10-25-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthomartin (Post 790171)
First let me say I have NO affiliation with any company. Second, for some reason some people get emotional about their anchors and this post is not inteded to start another anchor debate, but rather share data I have collected.

Now in our 4th year of full time cruising, and I mean "cruising" cruising, not one passage to GeorgeTown and lift anchor at the end of the season kind of thing, we have spent 2.5 years in the Med., and 1 year in Caribbean including time in Bahamas. These areas provide very clear water so normally after setting anchor I snorkel and check the set. When in the crowded Adriatic (croatia) I started checking surrounding boat anchors to see whom was going to drag on us in the night :) I started collecting data on what anchors, how long the drag before set, and how often it was what I called "set". For me that was about 3/4 of the surface area buried. So...

180 CQR, 128 Delta, 92 Bruce, 64 Rocna, 60 Spade, 51 Mason Supreme
Non plow were excuded and numbers under 50 total excluded.

CQR: Ave drag 42', set 10% (19 of the 180. Almost all on their sides)
Delta drag 21", set 21% (101/128)
Bruce drag 22' set 22% (82/92)
Rocna drag 8' set 92% (59/64)
Spade drag 6' set 98% (59/60)
Mason drag 8' set 96% (49/51)

Bottom types; 72% sand, 24% mud, 4% mix Note, no very soft mud included as water was not that clear in those situations.

I know I know there are many variables to setting anchor but this is random observation of the mix so the good and bad techniques should average out.

For the record, after the first year I gave my CQR away and bought a Spade but to each his own. I hope this info is helpful. It was fun collecting!

This must have taken a significant effort. My initial reaction is you need to get a life.

orthomartin 10-25-2011 04:45 PM

correction

Sorry about the typos

Delta set 79%, Bruce 89%
john

noelex77 10-25-2011 05:12 PM

Great post.
I do much the same thing on an informal basis, without keeping a detailed record.
Its worth watching the boats anchor if possible. The amount of reverse will effect the depth of set. Its also instructive watching which boats drag (if their scope is OK). If you want some real entertainment watch the anchors rotate in strong wind.

My own observations very much mirror yours, although I would rate the Spade as slightly, and only slightly lower. it seems to struggle in weed and softer bottoms a bit more. Also the aluminum Spade is not as good as the steel one so it is probably worth separating the two materials in your analysis.

I have also noted the Delta while it normally sets well it can slowly drag under the surface even when completely buried. (it looks like a burrowing worm)

There are lots of other anchors that are popular in the Med Kobra, Brittany Fortress , bugel etc. Did you gather any data on these?

Tbrad 10-25-2011 07:38 PM

I jsut wanna say; I love my Manson!

MedSailor 10-25-2011 09:18 PM

Were the Bruce anchors in your observations genuine Bruce anchors or did you include clones?

I would also be curious about danforth, fortress, and clones of these. Are they just not found in the med?

Medsailor

noelex77 10-26-2011 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MedSailor (Post 790306)
Were the Bruce anchors in your observations genuine Bruce anchors or did you include clones?

I would also be curious about danforth, fortress, and clones of these. Are they just not found in the med?

Medsailor

I have not seen a great many Danforth anchors used in the Med as primary anchor. The Brittany a sort of stockless danforth is popular with french sailors and seems to rotate and reset better than the danforth to a change in wind direction, but I would still not rate it as a great choice in the hard sand often found here.

Fortress is a verycommon secondary anchor.