Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You are a little lighter by maybe 600 lbs, 100 of that is ballast. Otherwise, real similar specs, ie a post fastnet ior half ton style boat.
You do have a fractional vs my masthead rig. You are a bit more main oriented than I based on measurements on sailbat data
you ELITE 30 sailboat on sailboatdata.com
Arcadia ARCADIA 30 (JEANNEAU) sailboat on sailboatdata.com

I will also admit, to get to 15-18 knots with the 155, total sa at 540# I do need 5-6 folks on the rail! if not, then as you find, probably 10-12 is about max if it is just say 2 of us. Summer when the wind is less dense vs winter, I can go 2-4 knots higher before having to reduce and reef!

A thought I had later. for me any how, a new main in dacron would probably work well too, but I am 190# vs my 155 at 345#. Your main is listed at 250 and a base jib at 161. Some of my recommendations may not be as good as one would hope.
If you are going to race, be somewhat competitive, do not be surprised if you have say a 110 if that is max size for your boat, a lighter sail fro winds to 7-8 knots, then one to get you from 7knots to upwards of 15 knots. You should be able to get to that range with your normal suit of sails. If you have original sails, they could very well be blewn out, you are not getting good pressure from them, and are heeling more than going forward. At times after getting my 110, I found that it worked with the original main better than the original 135. When I got the 155, I could sail in higher winds, faster etc especially after getting the new main too!

Sail material.... I'm probably pretty good for your boat overall.

Marty
kindsail likes this.
Old 10-31-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Sometimes bad experiences are generated by the client, not the vendor. I'd expect more than one data point before writing someone off...
Type "Kelly Hanson complaints" into Google and you'll find lots of data points. You'll also see similar reasons for those complaints.
kindsail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We have a new mail on Haleakula this year from Quantum as well as a 155 and 135 from them. Great build quality, and best of all they were very service oriented. Fit the sail...checked on it a couple weeks later..

service and knowledge are what can differentiate your decision when buying when the products are similar or qual. I would recommend talking to Tad Hutchings at the Annaplis, Loft of Quantum.

Dave
kindsail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-31-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Type "Kelly Hanson complaints" into Google and you'll find lots of data points. You'll also see similar reasons for those complaints.
I did. It look like the McGregor folk don't like them much.

My point was that a single person posting "don't buy from xxx" doesn't carry a lot of credibility. Some kind of substantiation always help.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 10-31-2011
kindsail

kindsail is on a distinguished road
That's all it's gonna take for me these days. Especially if it's a service oriented decision. People need to take a step back to realize that what they put out there is giving people their first impression many times. If it's not good, they will see it shortly. I also find that the McGregor sailors catch a LOT of flack for their boats and their sailing. I say hey, if you can get a big boat you can haul out and move around and have fun w/. Go for it. I didn't like the negative vibe that is projected overall toward the water ballast boats so I bought a keel boat. Would I like to move it to other lakes, sure, but around here Grand is the best lake we have for a boat our size.

Keep the good advice coming folks. Much appreciated!
Old 10-31-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Kindsail, Not to be a wet blanket, but if you ask enough people, you'll find at least one if not more with some beef with every single loft out there. It's a tough business. Expectations on the customer's part are often ridiculously unrealistic... "why doesn't my boat crush everyone in the fleet?" Well, you still have to be a good sailor. And yes, lofts do screw up, sometimes by suggesting a material that's a step above or so what the client really needs, or suggesting a sail when the existing is just fine. What you need to do is talk to sailors in your neck of the woods who have similar boats and similar sailing goals. Who are they using? Are they happy? Then go to the loft and talk. Get bids, see where everyone is, then make a decision. Most lofts aren't out to rip you off, but some are more consistent than others in their service, and even that can be very localized. If you were out in the PNW, we could give you the lowdown on everything around here, but you're not so it's tough to give you any specific advice.
CalebD likes this.
Old 10-31-2011
kindsail

While I do agree w/ the one beef per loft notion. I also have been experiencing a lack of courtesy and consideration in many fields of the service industry these days. If I can weed out a few from the git go over nominal problems I feel I am for the better. In this case there seem to be many w/ the same complaint so... There are little to no lofts in the Oklahoma area, hence my internet search. Sailors at our marina know of a guy, but he has no wide scale reputation. I would prefer to know that the sail maker I choose has been dignified w/ a win or two in a renowned race. I definitely don't want to invest that much money in a small unknown individual. Many smaller lofts also don't offer the materials I am looking at from what I have found. I would like to gain as much knowledge on specifics and experiences as I can before making any decisions for certain. Hopefully I will end up w/ a set of sails that provide everything we need by virtue of my persistence. Thanks for your input and I will talk w/ more sailors at our marina and lake. Not many, if any racers at our marina, might have to venture out on the lake to the sailing club for some local input.
Old 10-31-2011
kindsail

Good news, there is a Quantum loft in OKC. It's two hours away, but if they are truly service oriented, they will make the drive to the lake to suit our boat properly. I will be contacting them soon. One other loft here in Tulsa but I don't think he makes sails big enough for our boat. Please keep good advice and suggestions coming, this is only the beginning of this process. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you've found what you're looking for. For what it's worth, don't go in expecting lousy service. It's best to develop a relationship with your local sailmaker(s). Everyone would rather deal with straight forward, cordial, and yes, even 'tough' if necessary customer, but not one who's always on the 'he's out to screw me' offensive. I can say that in our area, we have a good relationship with all. There are a couple prefered, and we choose depending on the sail needed and budget available. The sailing world is small. It serves neither the sailmaker nor client to be unfair with each other.
kindsail likes this.
Old 10-31-2011
kindsail

Even better news gentlemen. The man who patented the CNC software for sail cutting that many of the major sail makers use slips in our marina. He and a partner own several lofts and my girlfriend went to high school with him. New sails may be a bit easier to acquire than I led myself to believe. Right from the source even. Thanks a million for your input here, I will use all this knowledge you've lent in my consideration but apparently we can get some great sails w/ credibility of several America's cup teams for a great price here. I will still have to compare and contrast w/ others of course.