Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
They make good sails, IIRC they have won the TP52 med cup the last few years. Not sure how their sails have been doing on the V70 around the world race, I think norths 3dls have been the vogue.
I'm sure Quantum has sails on par with what I mentioned earlier today. I'm personally not sure a dac/mylar blend is good, I would go with straight dacron, or move up to something like the Ullman cal, which is a panel sewn laminate, about the same cost as GOOD/BEST dacron. Then just above is the triradial Pentex/GPL?GP style sails, then above that the string style, ala 3dl, Fiberpath, Tapedrive for North Ullman and UK. The quantum loft here in Seattle seems a bit hit and miss, around, then not around. Pudding may have had better luck with them. The three I've mentioned at least locally ALL have good reviews along with a smaller independent. Actually there are a couple of GOOD independents. We probably have a LOT bigger base of sailboats to work with than Ok has too.

Good luck and enjoy the new rags!

Marty
Old 10-31-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
If you want fancy racing sails for your boat you should probably go with the local loft in OKC. If you just want nice new dacron sails you could go with an outfit like this one: The Sailwarehouse
We bought a new loose footed, full battened main from them this summer. $1k less then local yard just made in Thailand.
To illustrate a point that was previously made (by puddlings?). I have had a partner with my sailboat for about 8 years. 7 years ago we needed a new jib and roller furler so I started dealing with the local Doyle loft in Huntington, NY. They were pleasant to deal with and they installed a new Furlex 100 unit and made us a new 150% genoa which have both worked flawlessly since then. We have even been winning races in our PHRF division this year. My boat partner has always seemed to have some sort of contempt for the 150% jib, probably because our old jib was bigger, more like a 176%.
This sail has only about 7 seasons of use and has a few rips as a result but it still shapes well and furls/reefs way better then our old genoa that was torn to shreds in a mishap. I like the sail and the loft that made it.
My boat partner, by contrast, has never liked the sail and blames the loft for some wrong that I can't fathom and even threatens to buy a new genoa if he comes into the cash (even though I know this one still has some life left in it).
I think he is nuts but it would not hurt to retire our current genny to a backup role.
So there you have it: 2 sailors, 3 opinions.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Marty, other than Quantum, all the 52's are using 3di sails... they have a great shape from the loft, but don't seem to be particularly durable. IMHO a grand prix product and not really money well spent in our neck of the woods. Quantum in Seattle should be picking up... change of ownership recently, so they're working very hard to please. Ballard sails are also doing very nice work. Like you say, we're fortunate to have so many good places to chose from.

To kindsail, many lofts use CNC technology to cut tri-radial constructed panel sails... kevlar, dacron, etc.... They're great and can be very durable for club racers, but haven't been used in AC races in a good long while. 3dl and the like took care of that.

Last edited by puddinlegs; 11-01-2011 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-01-2011

TSchwarck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
For those of us who are also considering new sails, it would be more helpful if you told us why you are displeased with your purchase.
I can't say that I'm displeased with my purchase, but that's only because I never received it. I placed the order almost a year ago. When I asked about the delay they claimed to be having production problems and when I later requested a refund I could get no reply at all. Thankfully it was for a small jib sail and the $ amount is not large. Maybe the sail will show up someday, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 11-01-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Ballard Sails was the independent I was implying about. They are doing the warranty work for Ullman. I know of a couple of folks with some sails made by them and are very happy. I'm actually hoping one of these days to see if they can recut the 110 norlam and give it a bit better shape than it has. The ullman rep looked at it and said it was toast....then again, he probably wanted to sell me a new sail!LOL

There is a fellow in Everett that from what I hear of folks farther north than me is doing good work too.

A number of folks here in Edmonds have Neil Pryde sails and have been getting good service etc out of the sails and owner to name another.

We are blessed in the way the local lofts of ANY brand are treating folks around here.

Marty
Old 11-01-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Any reputable sailmaker will make you good sails. More important is the sail cloth. There are many on the market and each sailmaker has its own line with variations on material.

Doyle has a good page about different materials qualities and Elvstrom too.

ElvstrÝm Sails - Product Matrix

http://www.elvstromsails.com/images/...Matrix_eng.pdf

Doyle Sailmakers: Fiber Guide

Regards

Paulo
kindsail likes this.
Old 11-01-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Kind Sail -
How do you store your current sails? If you don't flake them, or better, roll them, then leave all the 3DL and string sails alone.

Do you have a furler? If so, just use dacron.

You should do fine with a #1 and #3. Which is usually a 155% and a 100%. That'll take you to 30 kts, and you really don't want to be out in much higher for pleasure sailing anyway.

If you plan on racing, talk to the Q loft. I've bought 3 sails from them and have been pleased with their products.
Old 11-02-2011
kindsail

kindsail is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSchwarck View Post
I can't say that I'm displeased with my purchase, but that's only because I never received it. I placed the order almost a year ago. When I asked about the delay they claimed to be having production problems and when I later requested a refund I could get no reply at all. Thankfully it was for a small jib sail and the $ amount is not large. Maybe the sail will show up someday, but I'm not holding my breath.
Man, I would pursue some legal rights here. No company should ever take a year to provide a paid for product. Hell it' doesn't even take Ferrari a year to build a custom car! I would have long since lost my cool w/ them and gone to the bank and filed a dispute on the charges. This will reverse the charges from their acct. to yours. You can then go to a reputable loft and get your sail made in a timely fashion. This is the kind of thing I was posting here to avoid! Good luck w/ getting that taken care of. Don't just let them take advantage of you!
Save your emails and take screenshots on your phone as you try to contact them. That way if they try to say you didn't you have all your proof!
Old 11-02-2011

tomitch is on a distinguished road
Is Kelly Hanson still in business?

I have had a sail for a Macgregor 26M on orde from Kelly Hanson since April. They are not answering their phone or replying to emails so are they still in business?
Oh Oh.... just did asearch online and it looks like I am not the only one having problems. Better Business Bureau has 22 complaints about them and no one is answering the phone.

Last edited by tomitch; 11-02-2011 at 07:37 PM. Reason: More information....
Old 11-02-2011
kindsail

kindsail is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomitch View Post
I have had a sail for a Macgregor 26M on orde from Kelly Hanson since April. They are not answering their phone or replying to emails so are they still in business?
Oh Oh.... just did asearch online and it looks like I am not the only one having problems. Better Business Bureau has 22 complaints about them and no one is answering the phone.
Did you pay in advance??

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.