SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   New sails, brands, quality, price. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/80270-new-sails-brands-quality-price.html)

kindsail 10-30-2011 11:31 AM

New sails, brands, quality, price.

Hello all, We have a Kirie Elite 30R. Some of you may be familiar w/ the boat as a Feeling 850. We currently have the original main sail that is becoming worse for the wear at 27 years old, and a 130% genoa that is not made for our boat I believe. I wonder if anyone could give some input on brands, quality of, and prices of sails that you have purchased. I am looking for something in the Performance cruiser/racing level and would like a new main, new genoa, and a smaller jib for higher winds of 10 to 20mph. We are novice but gaining experience fast and knowing that the genoa we have now may not be the best sail for our vessel. She's a racer weighing in at under 6,000lbs. I have noticed excessive healing w/ this genoa that I believe is due to the sail being made for a heavier boat. We enjoy the performance of our racing boat, even just for fun cruises, so we do want sails that will give us good power. I have contacted several sail makers including, North, Doyle, Hood, and Sobstad sails. If you know of a reputable company w/ a quality product, have had experience w/ one I listed(good or bad), or can steer me away from someone you have used and were unhappy with, PLEASE, let me know your experiences. I have never purchased new sails and can tell that time has proven to do nothing but improve them! THANKS!!

JimsCAL 10-30-2011 02:41 PM

If you are new to this, its probably best to talk to a local loft, though not sure what you have there in Oklahoma. They can provide advice, measure your boat, provide after-sale service etc. but at a price of course. A purchase from an online loft would save money, but you have to know what you want, do your own measurements, and if something is wrong with the delivered sail, resolving it will be a hassle. And most online lofts deal mostly with crosscut dacron cruising sails.

My guess is that each sail for your boat will range from about $1000 or so for a dacron crosscut sail from an online loft to $3000 or so for a racing sail from a local full service loft. I bought a club race dacron main from North online about 10 years ago for my previous boat and was very happy with it. Mainesail who is a very experienced poster here has had some good things to say about National Sail Supply. FXSails has a nice website that gives you immediate pricing and offer a range of products, but I have no direct experience with their products.

Good luck.

TSchwarck 10-31-2011 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kindsail (Post 791823)
Hello all, We have a Kirie Elite 30R. Some of you may be familiar w/ the boat as a Feeling 850. We currently have the original main sail that is becoming worse for the wear at 27 years old, and a 130% genoa that is not made for our boat I believe. I wonder if anyone could give some input on brands, quality of, and prices of sails that you have purchased. I am looking for something in the Performance cruiser/racing level and would like a new main, new genoa, and a smaller jib for higher winds of 10 to 20mph. We are novice but gaining experience fast and knowing that the genoa we have now may not be the best sail for our vessel. She's a racer weighing in at under 6,000lbs. I have noticed excessive healing w/ this genoa that I believe is due to the sail being made for a heavier boat. We enjoy the performance of our racing boat, even just for fun cruises, so we do want sails that will give us good power. I have contacted several sail makers including, North, Doyle, Hood, and Sobstad sails. If you know of a reputable company w/ a quality product, have had experience w/ one I listed(good or bad), or can steer me away from someone you have used and were unhappy with, PLEASE, let me know your experiences. I have never purchased new sails and can tell that time has proven to do nothing but improve them! THANKS!!

I would advise you to avoid Kelly-Hanson.

DRFerron 10-31-2011 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSchwarck (Post 792093)
I would advise you to avoid Kelly-Hanson.

For those of us who are also considering new sails, it would be more helpful if you told us why you are displeased with your purchase.

kindsail 10-31-2011 09:13 AM

Honestly, I don't care if it was bad quality, price, or service. If someone has had a bad experience w/ a sail maker I don't even want to go there. We are at a time in our society that none of these factors should be skimped on.
Thanks for the input on Kelly-Hanson.

HeartsContent 10-31-2011 09:55 AM

For Kelly-Hansen, they have taken quite a beating on the Macgregor forum. Not for quality or value (which seems to be very good) but in delivery timeframe. Calling 1st to see what they actually have in stock and when they can actually ship would be quite prudent.

it's too bad as the folks that have their sails really like them.

Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 792096)
For those of us who are also considering new sails, it would be more helpful if you told us why you are displeased with your purchase.

SVAuspicious 10-31-2011 10:10 AM

Sometimes bad experiences are generated by the client, not the vendor. I'd expect more than one data point before writing someone off.

I have four Elvstrom Sobstad sails on Auspicious. I've been happy with them. I have one Quantum sail that has been great. My experience with Quantum at four lofts (Hamble UK, Solomons MD, Annapolis MD, and Newport RI) has been outstanding.

I've had good second hand experience (sails on boats I raced aboard) with North Sails. The Annapolis loft is well regarded. The corporate guys at the graphics shop in CA built my battle flag and did a great job.

kindsail 10-31-2011 10:13 AM

Jim thanks for the input on Kelly-Hansen. Our boat is not going to get a stock set of sails as no one makes them in the right sizes for a Kirie. Customer service has taken a beating over the last few years. People just don't seem to care what quality of service they give in many cases. Hence the reason I will not use them. If a company can not provide three essential elements of business I don't need to use them.

blt2ski 10-31-2011 10:35 AM

My boat is similar in size and look to yours, but an older Jeanneau Arcadia.
If the hull etc is equal, You will want a GOOD main, 155, 110-120, and an 80-85% HS head sails depending upon the winds you are in. I find the 155 is good to around 15 knots true depending upon the temps and wind strength, 110 is good from 15 up to around 30 with a double reef, from that point up, the 110 by itself or why I wish I had a 3/4 hoist sail with about a 100% LP. That would get me to about 40 mph, then I could switch over to a storm jib.

I went with a UK tape drive main, I like it, not issues with the local UK group. There are some just as good, better priced main sail options for how I use the boat, IE Ullmans CAL main, or they and others also have some GPS or pentex tri radial mains that would work as well too for about 1/3 the cost. A dacron main will run about 1500-2000, A string ala 3dl, tape drive 3500-4000, pentex in the mid 2000 range.

My 155 is an ullman fiberpath. I should have only had one side coated with the taffeta protective layer. That makes it a bit too heavy in 5-8 knot winds. Otherwise I do like the sail.
The 110 is a north norlam. Not sure I would recomend a norlam, as it is pretty shot after 5 yrs, I ave been hearing a lot of folks saying they do not last near as long as North says you will get! For the price or a shade more, I could have gotten a pentex or equal. with better life compared to those I know with pentex/gp or equal sails.
I also have a CAL 140 I use for cruising. I should have gone to a 130-135, as I have a babystay to haul this around, the smaller sail would be nicer for two people, as now I really need a person upfront to bring the sail around the stay.
I have a 130 30z spin nylon drifter for the under 5 knot days. Ullman made this one too.
I have an asymetric that is about 90% of full size. Happy with my purchase, it is also getting a bit used after 5 yrs. Next around will be a full code 5 per phrf specs. I bought that sail purposely small, as I had not used a spin before. figured if I started racing I would then get a full size symetric, as around here on Puget sound those usually make a better spin to deal with than an AS.

I think you will find most of the sail lofts are pretty good to work with, at least local in Seattle, this is the case.

marty

kindsail 10-31-2011 11:50 AM

Marty, Wow, thanks for the detailed information you provided. I am only using a 130% now and am thinking this is too much for winds over 10 knots. It could be the sail though as i mentioned above. Wondering if your boat might be a bit heavier than ours. We are near having the rails in the water on an average windy day here in OK. I am using all the techniques I can find to reduce heel and still feel like we could have a different sail that would provide us w/ the same amount of power and not as much heeling. While we are novices at this sport/hobby, I have been diligently studying since we found our boat was a race boat during the purchase process. We like this, and I am extremely intrigued w/ all the added equipment. But, even with the main flattened out and the genoa as flat as can be, we still are pushing limits in low winds. Might be the nature of the boat itself. Haven't been on her long enough to know yet. I was considering the next sail being a 90%ish jib, a little stronger for 10 to 20 mph winds.