Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Trucking?

I'm seriously considering trucking my A35 south this winter. There's just no way I can depart Lake Champlain this year before the locks close and the weather makes sailing impossible. If anyone has trucked her/his boat a long distance, would appreciate any info. about good company to use and any difficulties you may have encountered.

Last edited by smurphny; 11-01-2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2011

remetau is on a distinguished road
We trucked our boat down from Rhode Island to Florida back in 2005. Here is our write up on it: Re Metau - Shipping a Ship. Use the Reaching link at the bottom to scroll through the pages.

The company we initially scheduled with canceled on us at the last minute due to hurricane Katrina causing fuel prices to shoot up.

We ended up going with Great Lakes Marine Transit which we were really happy with. They were about $1k cheaper and were nice to work with. Edit: Link to site: http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/glmt/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-01-2011

billsull is on a distinguished road
I've used Brownell Systems several times for long haul and local moves and have always been pleased with their service (I have no connection to the company). I think the were one of the first truckers to use hydraulic trailers.

Home
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-01-2011

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
If the boat on the trailer is under the size limits for an oversize load, the process is fairly straightforward. If not, you're into routing, chase cars, and a ton of $$$. Unless you've got a really deep keel, you should be OK with a 35 footer. We used Paul Welles at Triton Yachts in Oriental, NC to move our Catalina 30 from Oriental to Baltimore. No problems, on time, and on budget. I would use Triton again if the need arose.