Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011

Rustyf is an unknown quantity at this point
Racing History-Effect on Value

I am looking to buy a Tartan 3400, Sabre 362 or a Bebeteau 36.7 all used but of fairly recent vintage. Would appreciate advice on how concerned I should be if the boat has been raced -future durability of systems, reliability, value etc.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2011

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
It is much more a matter of maintenance and replacement of equipment than it is whether the boat was raced or not. If the boat was raced and maintained .....no problem. If the boat was raced and mis treated..problem. The same statement can also be made for dock queens that were not maintained.

Get a survey and find out for sure.
Old 11-01-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Usually race boats are in better shape than non-raced sister ships. Typically, race boats get the best of sails, and the best bottom, instrumentation, and deck hardware maintenance, and upgrades. Aethetics and interior maintenance- not so much. But its really a boat by boat, owner by owner thing.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 11-01-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I recommend that you consider race boats only if you intend to race, i.e your ownership experience will be ahead financially if you focus on buying a boat that has been used the way you intend to use it: daysail, coastal cruise, racing, distance cruising.

That way you are more likely to get the gear you will eventually need in the purchase price, and not have to pay for gear that you do not need. The cost of gear needed to re-purpose a boat can be as much as the cost of the basic boat, or more.
Old 11-01-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
I happen to think that the 36.7 is a great compromise between racing and cruising. Check out the aft double carefully, it might be cozy for a couple. The V-berth is definitely not a double. I would presume that the leather cushions and table were routinely removed for racing. The holding tank is a bit small and a bit of a pain to empty overboard.

The mainsheet controls with the cockpit traveller can be a shin basher. It is a great light air boat.

With its high freeboard and no gate, it can be a bit of a bear to board. Transom access is impossible because of the large wheel and traveller.

Does it also have cruising sails? Cruising with race sails is a pain.

I used to do a lot of teaching on a 36.7.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 11-02-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hey,

There are a few ways of looking at this. First, are YOU interested in racing? If so, then gear like a set of racing and cruising sails, close hauled wind display, extra winches for spinnakers, etc. will have value to you. If not, they don't add much for you.

I see lots of older racing boats listed with 3 mains, 3 jibs, extra spinnakers, and such. As if old worn out sails are good for anything other than cluttering up the boat!

You can expect that a boat that has been actively raced will have some extra dings, nicks, and scratches from things like winch handles and blocks being dropped. You also expect a healthy amount of extra blocks, lines, sheets, but not extra anchors, cockpit tables, and that sort of stuff.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-02-2011

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Before buying our Coronado 25 we looked at many of them. Several had the bulkhead tabbing cracked of separated from the hull. Don't know if they were raced but it appears they were really pounded hard. I have never raced but have watched many racing fleets on San Francisco Bay, always looked like the skippers had no mercy. In addition to whether you want to race and all the racing gear that might be on the boat the hard use a race boat could lead to early "wear & tear"? Suggest a very thorough inspection of the hull condition and rigging on a boat that has been raced.

Dabnis

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.