Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
November Swimming in NY

Hey,

As many of you know, I like to sail. A lot. So much that my boat usually gets launched in April, and not hauled until November. So, while the marina is closed, and most boats on moorings have been hauled, my boat is still in the water.

This was good because I went sailing this past Thursday with my Dad and Nephew. It's November, so the weather was cool - around 50, but sunny. Anyway, the sailing was great: wind pretty steady at 12-15 kts, from the Northwest, and the sea not too rough. We sailed from my home port, Mt. Sinai, around the Middle Shoal lighthouse, and back in around 2 hours. There were very few boats out, but I did see WanderingStar out with all sails flying.

When we got back to the harbor we decided to sail in, since the wind was from a favorable direction. But, to be safe, we started the engine and left it in neutral. When we were in the channel, the wind was blocked by some high land banks, so my dad, who was at the helm, put the engine in gear. Right away I noticed a new vibration. Then I heard a thumping sound. I put the transmission in neutral, and the sound and vibration went away.

Hmmm, what is going on? We put the trans in forward and the vibration seemed to be gone. Did we knock some marine growth off the prop? At higher revs I did notice a vibration, but nothing severe. So we motored to the mooring, and put the sails away.

We got in the dingy, and I pulled close to the boat to have a look underneath. Then I saw it, a crab or lobster pot float was stuck on the prop. I didn't have time to do anything about so we left.

With only a week or two left in my season I wasn't sure if I could remove the float from the dingy, go for a swim to remove it, or just have the boat hauled and remove it from land.

Yesterday I prepared to try and remove it. I tried cutting it free from the dingy, but I could not see what I was going. It was a nice day, sunny, little wind, around 50, so I decided to go for a swim and remove it that way. My wife and son were there, so they were able to offer moral support and provide tools. I stripped down to a bathing suit and put a few towels and blankets in the cockpit. I had a mask and snorkel, and work gloves so I could grab the prop. On the swim platform I put two knives. I climbed down the swim ladder and the water didn't feel too cold on my legs. From the sonar transducer the water temp was listed at around 55 degrees. Then I jumped in.

WOW, THE WATER IS REALLY COLD!!!!

Under the boat I saw that the float was wrapped around the prop, but not too badly. The problem was that I felt so cold I could not hold my breath very long. Before I went in I promised my wife that I could not get the float out in less than 5 minutes I would give up. With the timer running I tried to free the float. First I untangled it. That was taking too long. With a sharp serrated knife I cut one line. One more breath and then I made another cut. Once more under the boat and I pulled the float free.

Out of the water and back in the boat. I dried off and sat in the sun to warm up. Total time in the water: 4 minutes.

We started the engine and motored around the harbor for a few minutes. No vibration and I can sail for another week or two!

SUCCESS!!!
Attached Thumbnails
November Swimming in NY-novswim11.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BarryL; 11-06-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2011

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Wow Barry, you look a lot younger than I expected

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-06-2011
hydroholic

Sail The World is on a distinguished road
good work
Old 11-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
Wow Barry, you look a lot younger than I expected
I guess the cold water reversed the aging process LOL. That's my 10 yo 'helping' and holding the 'trophy'

Barry

Old 11-06-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Great work Barry....cold water shrunk you down I see.

Another note. Donna and I will be doing our vaction north to the LI Sound, Marthas Vineyard, and Greenport this summer in August. We almost met the last time we were up last year. Lets make it a point to try this year. I like reading your posts and would like to hear some of your stories. Lets try for Port Jeff as we stay a night on our trip usually at the Pautucket Yacht club mooring there.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-06-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Barry,

Next time call me. I have a wet suit and scuba gear, and need an excuse to use them.

And I remember this guy who loaned me his car so I could see my son's lacrosse game. Congratulations on the success.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Old 11-06-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Barry,
You are brave and in good health evidently.
I was just down on the Chesapeake this past weekend and did not want to go swimming there either. We did an overnight trip to Rock Hall from Annapolis and it was cold, even riveting above the surface.
55 degrees is pretty cold but at least Mt. Sinai is a beautiful harbor with lots of salt marsh and quite clean water.
My boat came out of the lower Hudson today - boo hoo.

Everybody has one:

Old 11-07-2011

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Barry,
Sailing in November...yes
Swimming in November...no
Will keep an extra good watch for those lobster pots...
but just in case any chance you make house calls(boat calls that is!)
Old 11-07-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Hey Barry! I saw you leaving your mooring as I was getting ready to launch my dinghy. I had a nice sail too with Bill D. who owns Smiley, a Whitby 42. I was out again today, and managed to sail into the harbor and onto the mooring, though she was still moving slowly ahead. I haven't swam in November for a while, but it was always boat related.
Old 11-08-2011

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind comments and various offers.

Chef, please do let me know when you'll be up my way. We should all get together.

Barry (it's going to be in the 60's this week so I'm going sailing today or tomorrow)