Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
The season that wasn't ends

floods, storms, more floods, more storms, over 100 degree temps are over for now. My boat is out of the water. Done til spring!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Ouch...dont forget the earthquakes too.

Hope to see you next year eaither on the Chesapeake or maybe even Cape may

Dave and donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-06-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
There's always moving as an option......some of us are just beginning. I'm just sayin'
Old 11-06-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
"The season that wasn't ends"?
Denise, step way from the margarita blender!

Old 11-06-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
floods, storms, more floods, more storms, over 100 degree temps are over for now. My boat is out of the water. Done til spring!
We hauled yesterday. I know how you feel. I've been telling people, "it seems like the season never got started." We launched a month later than 2010 because of the cold spring, and should have hauled a couple weeks ago. Here's what I posted over on the C25/250 forum yesterday:

Today's Haulout: The Admiral saved me $1000!

We hauled out Take Five today. It was 37F with a solid breeze when we left the slip this morning to motor over to the boat club. (Darned cold, for these warm weather sailors!) In the past week the water temp dropped from 63F to 48F. We probably waited a little too long to haul out this time!

The boat club is very much a do-it-yourself operation. One guy gets paid to operate the lift, but everything else is done by yourself and whomever you can find to volunteer. It's mostly powerboaters, who like to store with their bow high, and a couple of these guys were helping me. It took me quite a bit of explaining about how important it is to have the C250 perfectly level on her lines, because the foredeck needs to drain forward (or the hatch will leak) and the cockpit needs to drain backwards (or the companionway will leak). Even with that explanation, they seemed to keep bringing the slings down with the bow way too high. After about 20 minutes lifting and dropping, I finally climbed back into the boat and stuck a level on the cabin centerline by the galley to get the slings adjusted properly. (Last year I had used a laser level to get the waterline perfect, and confirmed that when that is level, the floor by the galley is level.)

Before I had done this, my wife was getting frustrated that she didn't know what to do to help, so she just stood back and watched while we kept trying to get the boat stands adjusted properly. The rear stands were suddenly too big to fit under the boat (unlike last year when they fit fine), which we ultimately realized was because the bow was too high and stern was too low.

So all of a sudden, while we're all struggling with the boat stands, she yells "STOP!" and we all stop. The rudder had just touched the gravel. If she had not been there watching over everything from 20 feet away, the rudder would have certainly cracked and we'd be ordering a new one from Catalina.

So, here's three cheers for my Admiral, always alert and at the ready:

...well, almost always!

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 11-07-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Denise,

I guess I can't begrudge you the storms, there's got to be a way to help you deal with the heat. The way you're going, your sailing season is as short as a Downeaster's.

In addition to a bimini over the cockpit, there's got to be a way to rig a water mister and a fan or something. Do you have an A/C unit for times while you're plugged into shore power?

I actually find that the heat is more difficult to deal with if I spend long periods in the A/C. If I just stay out in it, I acclimate and it's not that bad. And of course, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Water and sports drinks.

I hate to think of you wasting good times because of the heat.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 11-07-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
my season was a big flop too,in the spring the hot weather came early,my marina has changed owners several times and the electricity got took out of my slip so even a fan wasn't possible,now i finally installed a meter hookup myself last week,my season was so bad i am very seriously concitoring heading to where the weather fits my clothes[what good is a boat if you don't use it] lol my biggest problem with that is i'm a recluse that sometimes gets lonely but i'm not about to post a female sailing companion wanted ad and give the boys here amusement
Old 11-07-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
Was the weather in Pa really that much worse than Long Island a few hours away other than the flood deal ?

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 11-07-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
We are growing tired of Hurricane prep, only to relaunch and get a few more weekends, then winterize. Let's hope we get a pass next year.

On the other hand, I have no other complaints about a great season. Can't wait for '12.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-07-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We had a pretty good season actually on the Chesapeake and as nice fal season as ever. We still have over a month to go before I winterize.

We stayed in and un winterized on march 15 and there was lots of early Spring sailing. Summer was brutal in terms of heat though

Yes there is a huge difference in temperature and humdity from Northport to the Chesapeake or Delaware. It is one of the reasosns we come to the LI Sound in the summer. We always stop in Northport on our way up or back...sometimes both. Great little town with nice village gazebo and lawn

Maybe we will run into next August when we are up there

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner