Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Last spring we were bringing BR north from the Caribbean. We stopped one night at Sandy Hook, NJ so we’d be prepared for an early morning departure through NY harbor to the East River and LI Sound. We awoke to dense fog, but needing to make the tide in the River we left at slow speed, radar and AIS working well.

We were passed several times by ferries doing over 30 kts. The visability was under 50 yards. How these guys can do it and keep their licenses is beyond me. It’s an accident waiting to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
Last spring we were bringing BR north from the Caribbean. We stopped one night at Sandy Hook, NJ so we’d be prepared for an early morning departure through NY harbor to the East River and LI Sound. We awoke to dense fog, but needing to make the tide in the River we left at slow speed, radar and AIS working well.

We were passed several times by ferries doing over 30 kts. The visability was under 50 yards. How these guys can do it and keep their licenses is beyond me. It’s an accident waiting to happen.
+1. Have watched those fast ferries going out of Atlantic Highlands a number of times, wondering, as you, how they manage to avoid crashing into someone. Radar is simply NOT SURE ENOUGH to be going 30 knots in the fog, not to mention the problems of inattentive, maybe not feeling up to par, fallible people at the helm. I find it amazing that the CG has not slowed them down. They provide a needed service. The availability of good, reasonably priced high speed ferries is a great thing and I have used them but common sense has to have priority over schedules when the fog closes in.
Old 11-10-2011

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road
This reminds me of the BC Ferry, Queen of the North when it was run aground due to inattention on the bridge.
The two people, a male and a female who were in charge and on the bridge were, "engaged in other activities".
They hid behind there union and were never held accountable.
Two people died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.