Scary! - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 Old 11-09-2011

Last spring we were bringing BR north from the Caribbean. We stopped one night at Sandy Hook, NJ so we’d be prepared for an early morning departure through NY harbor to the East River and LI Sound. We awoke to dense fog, but needing to make the tide in the River we left at slow speed, radar and AIS working well.

We were passed several times by ferries doing over 30 kts. The visability was under 50 yards. How these guys can do it and keep their licenses is beyond me. It’s an accident waiting to happen.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 11-10-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
Last spring we were bringing BR north from the Caribbean. We stopped one night at Sandy Hook, NJ so wed be prepared for an early morning departure through NY harbor to the East River and LI Sound. We awoke to dense fog, but needing to make the tide in the River we left at slow speed, radar and AIS working well.

We were passed several times by ferries doing over 30 kts. The visability was under 50 yards. How these guys can do it and keep their licenses is beyond me. Its an accident waiting to happen.
+1. Have watched those fast ferries going out of Atlantic Highlands a number of times, wondering, as you, how they manage to avoid crashing into someone. Radar is simply NOT SURE ENOUGH to be going 30 knots in the fog, not to mention the problems of inattentive, maybe not feeling up to par, fallible people at the helm. I find it amazing that the CG has not slowed them down. They provide a needed service. The availability of good, reasonably priced high speed ferries is a great thing and I have used them but common sense has to have priority over schedules when the fog closes in.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-10-2011

This reminds me of the BC Ferry, Queen of the North when it was run aground due to inattention on the bridge.
The two people, a male and a female who were in charge and on the bridge were, "engaged in other activities".
They hid behind there union and were never held accountable.
Two people died.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.