Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
If you need light weight, take a look at the Apex lightweights. They are essentially a single wall rigid v-hull, with no upper flat floor. I was looking at an 11 footer that only weighed a bit over 100 lbs. Another advantage is that you have longer leg room from the sides to the floor, which extends all the way down to the V.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBilll View Post
There was a dinghy that is also certified as a liferaft, I forget the name, but if I was going to get one that would be it.
Portland Pudgy.

Portland Pudgy safety dinghy, inflatable boat, or fiberglass dinghy?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 11-08-2011

baboon is on a distinguished road
I use a good quality 9ft rigid glass dingy. The primary advantage is it is great to row, so I never use a motor, although I have one. It is too big and heavy to get on deck so it gets towed, not the best option when the weather kicks up. For you capacity is the problem, mine is rated for 3 people but will sit so low in the water with that much weight that it is at risk of swamping in chop. A rigid dink that could hold 4 and a motor will be much bigger.

I am considering going with an inflatable in the future, probably one of the small achilles since they are hypalon and are very small when deflated, a issue on my 30ft boat with limited storage. It should be easyer to carry up the beach when going ashore which is an issue in my area becuase tidal changes can result in the need to carry a dink 100 or more feet to get above the tide line. Hauling the rigid boat is a real pain, even for two people.
Old 11-08-2011

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBilll View Post
I would recommend fixing the leak in your inflatable. I haven't added air to mine in 4 years.

There are a few good hard dinghies, but to have the same capacity, and stability, it is going to be bigger and heavier. There was a dinghy that is also certified as a liferaft, I forget the name, but if I was going to get one that would be it.
I think you are referring to thr Portland Pudgy. It is supposed to be very stable for a hard dinghy.
Old 11-09-2011
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
For 5 people you are looking at over a 10'2 inflateable in many cases. Yuck on a C310.

I have owned many inflateables. The best without hauling it up is the Avon 310, IIRC. THe new ones look awesome but you are looking at 180ish-200lbs just for tender. THis of course is a RIB. If weight is a real issue, I would consider a HPIB but I have had a lot of air issues with mine. Still it is better than the slab floor. A compromise is the Walker Bay Genesis which I own now. Best tender to date for weight and all round. But to appreciate any RIB you need a good engine behind it. See if you can pick up a 2 stroke yamaha or comparable somewhere.

B

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-09-2011

jtsails is on a distinguished road
While I was at the Annapolis boat show, I took a good look at the Portaboat and was impressed. There website is Porta-Bote also known as Portabote, Portaboat. Folds to 4 inches(11cm) Flat . Lots of threads about them on this site.
James
Old 11-09-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsails View Post
While I was at the Annapolis boat show, I took a good look at the Portaboat and was impressed. There website is Porta-Bote also known as Portabote, Portaboat. Folds to 4 inches(11cm) Flat . Lots of threads about them on this site.
James
Those are pretty clever, however, I don't believe will work for the OP. The model that accommodates 5 people is 14 ft long. I also found the engine specs interesting. Most boats specify a maximum horsepower, but these folks specify a maximum engine weight, which is only 83lbs for the 14 footer and much less for smaller boats. That requirement could underpower the boat with that many people aboard.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-09-2011

Sn0wman is on a distinguished road
We bought the Zodiac Zoom 260 this spring to get back and forth to our boat on a mooring. I don't have much dinghy experience, but I have had no reason to complain. Our wood floor is far more stable than our neighbors roll up slat floor. We have had 4 adults and a child in the boat, and it looked ridiculous, but there was no stability problem. It rows reasonably, haven't gotten a motor for it yet. We generally have to make several trips if taking people out on the boat, or loading up gear for a weekend, but it serves our needs, its light enough my wife or I can move it by ourselves, having two is that much nicer, light enough to put on the coach roof up front if need be.

Cheers
Old 11-10-2011

Cherie320 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn0wman View Post
We bought the Zodiac Zoom 260 this spring to get back and forth to our boat on a mooring. I don't have much dinghy experience, but I have had no reason to complain. Our wood floor is far more stable than our neighbors roll up slat floor. We have had 4 adults and a child in the boat, and it looked ridiculous, but there was no stability problem. It rows reasonably, haven't gotten a motor for it yet. We generally have to make several trips if taking people out on the boat, or loading up gear for a weekend, but it serves our needs, its light enough my wife or I can move it by ourselves, having two is that much nicer, light enough to put on the coach roof up front if need be.

Cheers
Sn0wman - I'm not finding many reviews on the Zoom and was wondering if you would care to comment on the quality of manufacture? Also, how small a package is it when stored? Pat
Old 11-10-2011
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
your really better off with an inflatable safer. You want to be safe when it comes to brining a child. if you pump up the infaltable to the right psi you should be good for the hole season.