Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011

eSailor is on a distinguished road
seeking advise on a hard dingy

I have had inflatable in the past and I am tired of coming down to the boat and having to add air to the dingy, so I decided to seek info about using a hard dingy.

They seem to be a little less stable getting into/out of than the typical inflatables. Is this a big issue? We just plan on using it to occasionally go to the beach and explore, etc.... Might have 4 adults and a 6 year old, not sure if the typical hard dingy can accommodate that much weight?

Any advise / tips would be appreciated. Also, please feel free to recommend a certain type/brand and I will soon start my shopping over the winter.

Ps, we will probably add an electric outboard motor as well. I will be using this with my Catalina 310 that has the sugerscoop/swim platform so this should make it a little easier getting into/out of.

Thanks,
matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
4 adults + child = a fairly large hard dinghy, something around 9 to 10 feet. Pretty tough to get it on deck on a Catalina 310 so I guess you will be towing it.

People like the Moorings in the 90s used a design that was always towed even on Interisland passages and almost always made it. Somebody might chime in with the name but if I was looking for a dink that would do your sort of job it would be high on my list.

I might come up with a pic as there are quite a few still around in the Caribbean.
Old 11-07-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
The "typical" sized hard shell dingy would probably not support 4 adults and a child. Then again, you can always make two trips. Like some things in life, size matters.

I think stability is important and would not trade my hypalon inflatable. I'm 6'1" 210 lbs. and can stand on a tube and bounce without upsetting the boat. I only have to add air when the temperature cools in the fall. I also use my inflatable to get back and forth to my mooring so it's more important to me to be able to safely transport people, coolers, etc.

However, for the occasional trip to the beach why invest 2000 bucks? Then again, for occasional trips to the beach why invest 100K+ on a Catalina 310...lol Just kidding

I have had very good luck with my old Caribe (they are pricey though) until someone ran it over in the boat yard, and my current Mercury Marine (competitively priced for hypalon). I would NOT suggest an air deck model. The inflatable floors are made of PVC type material (yes, even the hypalon model boats)and don't hold up to heavy use and outside storage. Then again, for occasional trips to the beach this might be OK if you store it covered up.
Old 11-07-2011

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
I would recommend fixing the leak in your inflatable. I haven't added air to mine in 4 years.

There are a few good hard dinghies, but to have the same capacity, and stability, it is going to be bigger and heavier. There was a dinghy that is also certified as a liferaft, I forget the name, but if I was going to get one that would be it.
Old 11-07-2011

NateKing is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=RobGallagher:794409] Like some things in life, size matters. QUOTE]
Especially when you are talking about a hard dingy.
Old 11-07-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
If you're willing to buy new, why not buy an inflatable that doesn't leak?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-07-2011

hmm.... maybe I will have to re-think my plan. I thought that a hard dink would just be easier (and maybe lighter?) and less hassel, but maybe I am off base here.

the marina has racks for storage so either one will be stored there.

ok, lets switch gears...... any recommendations on a decent inflatable with maybe a removal hard floor? Are the ones offered by West Marine any good? Or stick with something like a Zodiac?
Old 11-07-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I spent some time with the Apex reps at the boat show and was impressed. Not sure why you want a removal floor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I spent some time with the Apex reps at the boat show and was impressed. Not sure why you want a removal floor.
actually I am not up to speed with the types anymore. 15 years ago we had a zodiac or avon that had a wood removable floor (3 sections) and it was very stable while standing up.

I guess my main criteria for a dink are 1.) stability in the water 2.) not to heavy to place it in/out of the rack 3.) cost, but willing to pay for quality and longevity 4.) minimal maintenance
Old 11-07-2011

Cherie320 is on a distinguished road
We keep comming back to the inflatible as the solution. It looks to be easier to store, has higher load capacity, and appears to be more stabe for loading and landing. But the sticking point is $2000 vs $1000 for a PVC boat.

If you expect to use the dinghy 5-10 times a year and plan to roll it up and store it on board, what value does Hypalon deliver that PVC does not?

Any recomendations on the PVC Zodiac Zoom 260 Aero at $7-900 and the Hypalon Zodiac 290 air floor at $2K+/- are appreciated.

Pat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.