SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Anyone from South Carolina? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/80556-anyone-south-carolina.html)

LarryandSusanMacDonald 11-07-2011 05:17 PM

Anyone from South Carolina?

Out cruising, heading south. Good day today, got the current right in the Cape Fear River and got to South Carolina, right near the SC / NC border in Calabash Creek where we anchored. There are about six others anchored here, probably all heading south.

So about 15 minutes ago, a fishing boat with three guys came by our boat and all of the others putting out a huge wake. I signaled for them to slow down and got the shouted comment, "What, are you afraid of a little wake?"

Of course, they have no radio on, so a civilized discussion is out of the question.

What I would like to say to them is this: It's not whether we are afraid of a little wake or not, it's about manners and prudence. We have been in SC for less than an hour and the first locals we meet are rude. Now, we have been here many times, and know that all of South Carolinians are not rude. But for those who are here for the first time, what are they supposed to think?

Further, a friend of ours recently went cruising with his 88 year old father (probably for the last time, at his father's wish.). A sudden wake from a rude boater could knock him down, break a hip or an arm, or whatever.

So it's not only lack of being polite which is the problem here, it is lack of consideration for safety. No one knows who is on the other boat that you are so carelessly rocking.

So I ask you from South Carolina, (or anywhere for that matter) to take care of other boaters, and watch your wake. Maybe someday, your geriatric father will want to be taken for a last cruise.

I realize that I am 'preaching to the choir' here on SailNet, but if you could spread the word to others it may save an injury.

Just sayin'.

sawingknots 11-07-2011 06:07 PM

i'm not fron s.c. but i have spent alot of time around the beaufort area,unfortionately people like you ran across can be found almost anywhere,acually florida might be a little worse,tenn.too,not much one can do about it just know that it pisses me off too

PalmettoSailor 11-07-2011 07:12 PM

I'm willing to bet that I run across more inconsiderate powerboaters in a single weekend on the Chesapeake than you'd meet in a season in SC waters. South Carolinanian's would have to work pretty hard at it to equal the level of rudeness I see, personally experience and hear on the VHF.

As a SC native, I feel certain you're less likely experience rudeness there than many other areas of the country.

sawingknots 11-08-2011 05:39 AM

i don't know if people in general are getting more inconcitorate now days or just stupid,i think that lots of boaters especially fishermen are just clueless when it comes to rules and reg. but on the other hand my worst encounters have been with the sea ray power cruisers,sme of these people will blow you off the water and never even look back

CptBurt 11-08-2011 07:41 PM

It’s a different class of people!! You are in his waterway, were his trying to hook out a living to pay for his trailer and his child support. meanwhile to “him” here is some old rich dude hooked too close to the channel to be free of the standard wake thrown off by a just above Idle trawler, trying to get home for dinner. Just remember that people are usually nice until there hair is rubbed backwards. I live here in Beaufort. The people here are some of the nicest folks I have ever known. Hell next time you’all come thru, let me know, I will come get you in the skiff and cook a good meal for you. Please don’t let one encounter ruin your impressions of this beautiful place.
Sincerely , Cpt. Burt

LarryandSusanMacDonald 11-09-2011 11:01 AM

No offense intended, Capt Burt. We've been in SC many times and know the people are friendly and polite. But my point was, a few bad eggs can spoil the reputation of many. And as I mentioned, we've encountered what we refer to as gasholes everywhere. These were not commercial fishermen, just some locals in a little boat being smart alecs.

My point here is that it is not only unmannerly, it can be dangerous (maybe someone on one of those boats was preparing dinner, and a pot of boiling water gets dumped down on someone.) If we would all point this out to our fellow boaters, maybe a message would get through to a few.

ImASonOfaSailor 11-09-2011 12:12 PM

I think everyone has to pass a safety course before throwing anything into the waters ! Anywhere therefore there needs to be more coast guards hired to watch the waters we sail on or fish! Its just like the rules of the road! Always an idiot ever where you go! This world is mean not nice, this happens anywhere you go unfortunately you have to prepare yourself for this so maybe anchor far away from any places anyone would think of going or further away from entrance! to any channel!

sawingknots 11-09-2011 12:42 PM

the s.c dnr is woefully understaffed [pretty much like everywhere] the fact is anyone can do pretty much what they want also theres no way to catch up to a power boat except maybe a load of birdshot,i don't see this issue improving

ImASonOfaSailor 11-09-2011 02:39 PM

if the coast guard had powerful boats they could catch anyone they want! DOnt you watch CSI, Miami Vice! OOoops showing my age!

DRFerron 11-09-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryandSusanMacDonald (Post 795259)
My point here is that it is not only unmannerly, it can be dangerous (maybe someone on one of those boats was preparing dinner, and a pot of boiling water gets dumped down on someone.) If we would all point this out to our fellow boaters, maybe a message would get through to a few.

Not to mention that you are responsible for any damage done by your wake. Obviously the folks in your example didn't care, but if anyone happened to have a camera handy, a picture could be taken before the wake disappears and used against them if needed.