Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Last Sunset of the Season

I'm sitting in the cockpit watching the sun set on Forked River for the last time this season.

The music is mellow, the beer is cold and I can smell the pork stew simmering down below. The orange sky is reflected in the ripples in the water. During the summer there would be a parade of boats going up river from the bay this time of night.

Tonight the only other person in the marina is my neighbor winterizing his trawler and the river is empty. In fact most of the slips are empty and the boats already hauled. A surprising number never went back in after Irene.

This was a weird year for us. We launched late as I ran into problems on a couple of big boat jobs. Weird weather, storms, floods, an earthquake and a hurricane making landfall a few miles south of us -- then petering out as it came ashore only to make a wreck of towns north of us. Aren't storms supposed to weaken when they come ashore?

At the end of the season, just as we got into the October weather I like best we broke a motor mount ending our season for anything other than hanging at the dock. We haul tomorrow and I'll start taking the galley apart to do the motor mount next weekend.

It just seems like this year never really got started before it ended.

C'est la vie

Jim
On Island Time, just off Barnegat Bay

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Jim,

Sounds like a nice wrap up. I will have to do without the beer and food going solo today. Headed out for another day on the water. The weather has extended the comfortable sailing this year. Our last sail will probably be Saturday and haul out Sunday. It is time to get on the hard but staying in late was a good decision this year. 60's yesterday here on Mt. Desert Island.

Down
Old 11-09-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Jim,

Next year will be here in no time for you. One of the reason I moved to the Chesapeake from South Jersey is the extended sailing season. We are planning on winterizing Dec 15.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-09-2011

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
Come on folks! Sailors are supposed to be a hearty bread, don't any of you guys have a sense of adventure? This is me last year in the neighborhood of Elk River/North Chesapeake Bay area December 18th.
Libra III traveling through the ice - YouTube
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 11-10-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Hmmmmm I am trying to figure out what lights to put on my boat Turkey day weekend, so I can put her in the "holiday on the docks" program that goes thru the weekend after new years! take a new years day sail maybe, then start races the 2nd or 3rd weekend in January............I hauled out presidents day, first time in 3 yrs.......

Boy am I glad I live in rainy seattle.........now how does the perry como song go?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 11-11-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Going to try and keep the boat active this Winter. Thanksgiving, four boats are heading upriver 3 hours. We're smoking a Turduken, will have all the trimmings and will take over an island for 3 days. Taking the boat out of the water sounds too depressing.
Old 11-11-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough

You need pictures

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 11-11-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
You know, perhaps a generous offer such as the OP's will actually come my way when I'm ready to quit working and I'll be able to go on an adventure of a lifetime. Something to hope for.

In the meantime, I'm having a blast on my humble little boat.

Last edited by carl762; 11-11-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.