Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: Rescued at Sea - Are You Prepared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
i don't know how you guys feel about it, but - even in calm conditions - coming close to a big vessel scares the sh** out of me...
i do not want to know how it must feel and how nightmarish this must be in towering, braking waves, horizontal rain and howling winds...
i think i would rather throw myself in a revolving liferaft than coming close, yet being 'towed' to a steel wall the size of a 3 stories building which is rolling by 35-40°, threatening to smack you really hard...
honestly - the more i think about it, the more an inflatable rubber thingy like a liferaft looks like a featherbed, a soft cushion which is not going to hurt me apart from throwing me around a bit...
As we we were approaching Navarino, one of my crew said"This is really exciting." I told him the I hated every 'effing" minute of it.

The liferaft would work well if abandoning, but not for a crew transfer. We would need the liferaft for the rest of the trip.

We had really quite calm conditions. Higher seas would have meant another strategy.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The ultimate moral to the story is that an AMVER rescue is a voluntary last ditch effort, one half step above just letting you die out there. I would be massively grateful for that half step and hope I never require it.
I think this is a very, very important point. When you start this process - you really should consider yourself "imminently dead" - so that being dragged underwater through raging seas for 300 meters to the side of gigantic heaving ship sounds preferable to where you are currently - to the point that you'll thank the captain after he's had you "pumped out" once you're on board.

THAT is a "Mayday".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-31-2014

capt vimes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
As we we were approaching Navarino, one of my crew said"This is really exciting." I told him the I hated every 'effing" minute of it.

The liferaft would work well if abandoning, but not for a crew transfer. We would need the liferaft for the rest of the trip.

We had really quite calm conditions. Higher seas would have meant another strategy.
there is one thing i will most probably never do - probably because one doesn't know what is happening in the future, but i have absolutely no intention to abandon a floating boat!
serious injuries or illness being the most likely exceptions...

and if the boat is going down, mayday call, activate epirb, go to the liferaft and hope that you are picked up within the next 48 hrs or so...
i will never ever leave a perfectly afloat vessel voluntary, no matter the conditions i am in!
get a boat you trust to withstand anything that is thrown at her, prepare yourself and the boat, do not cruise on a tight schedule, check weather reports constantly, keep an eye open for deteriorating weather signs...

have you heard of the prince de bretagne? a maxi cat a french man has taken for a record breaking trip from france to mauritius?
he capsized a few days ago in the middle of the south atlantic, but told the rescue team to not hurry and that he could wait a couple of days until it is more convenient for them...
he is fine and sound in the upturned main hull and there is no need to rush things.
HE is upside down, but floating and he sees no urgency to get rescued immediately and there are people out who leave a perfectly upright and overall floating boat? for what reasons?
Old 01-31-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
......HE is upside down, but floating and he sees no urgency to get rescued immediately and there are people out who leave a perfectly upright and overall floating boat? for what reasons?
I agree in principle. However, let's hope we never have to be tested to find out this answer. Terror, injury and illness can weaken anyone and it's judgement that goes first.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-31-2014

capt vimes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I agree in principle. However, let's hope we never have to be tested to find out this answer. Terror, injury and illness can weaken anyone and it's judgement that goes first.
you are absolutely right.
everybody cracks sooner or later... i have seen that during my share of military service i did and take my word - there you are brought to your absolute limits and well beyond...
you are forced in the middle of chaos, exhausted beyond anything, wet and freezing, with no real sleep for a week sometimes to keep a cool head, asses the situation correctly AND make the right decisions...

it is a rather good training, if you wanna cruise the wide oceans...
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 01-31-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Move, shoot and communicate is not an unfamiliar set of priorities for me.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-31-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

I was in the Peace Corps. I was trained to throw a Birkenstock with incredible accuracy.
joyinPNW, Minnesail and capt vimes like this.

Old 01-31-2014

vjmurph is on a distinguished road

I was reading this at work, and just cracked up out loud. Nice one Smack.
Old 02-04-2014

mike21070 is on a distinguished road

Smack,

I just finished up the epic thread regarding the S/V Triumph...and all I can say is "Wow!" Without getting into specifics, I was really impressed with how impartial you were during the entire thread. You tried to stay above the fray, and called Doug out when you felt it necessary. And this thread is a great idea...

So now I gotta ask: Where were you in the Peace Corps? I was in Guinea, West Africa. Our weapon of choice were old mangos; Birkenstocks were for too rich for us...we had Nikke, Nikfe, Addibbis and other assorted knockoffs.

(Didn't mean to hijack this thread, I'm just curious...)

Mike
Old 02-04-2014
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike21070 View Post
Smack,

I just finished up the epic thread regarding the S/V Triumph...and all I can say is "Wow!" Without getting into specifics, I was really impressed with how impartial you were during the entire thread. You tried to stay above the fray, and called Doug out when you felt it necessary. And this thread is a great idea...

So now I gotta ask: Where were you in the Peace Corps? I was in Guinea, West Africa. Our weapon of choice were old mangos; Birkenstocks were for too rich for us...we had Nikke, Nikfe, Addibbis and other assorted knockoffs.

(Didn't mean to hijack this thread, I'm just curious...)

Mike
Mike - thanks for the compliment (though eyes the world over are now rolling). Personally, I'm more interested in digging into things to learn - not in dispensing "advice". So, I love being in the fray (as most around here will tell you) - but it's usually well intentioned buttkickery.

Yes I was in the Peace Corp for 2 years. My 3 choices for region on my application were Africa, South/Central America, and Eastern Europe.

I was assigned to 2 joyous years in the gorgeous Solomon Islands - where I lived in a large, airy home on a beautiful hill in Honiara overlooking Savo and Iron Bottom Sound. Hot and cold running water, a fridge with the envy of all my fellow volunteers..a butter softner (heh-heh), electric stove, plenty of cabinet room for our homemade brewery, and plenty of storage for my dive gear.

And I got to fly all over the country supervising renewable energy projects for the Ministry of Natural Resources.

Let's just say, it was the "Easiest Job I Ever Loved".

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-04-2014 at 12:36 PM.