Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Here's a way to board a tanker...for a mere $100,000 Only 30 ft lift though.

:: Welcome to Jetlev ::
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Wow!!! 2600 views in a week!?!?!?

Thanks to everyone giving their feedback. And thanks to everyone who's reviewed the proposal doc (around 100 views to this point).

I'll stay on it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-18-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Nice Write-up Smack. Let us know what you hear back from Ron.
Old 11-18-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Nice Write-up Smack. Let us know what you hear back from Ron.
You got it.

Old 11-20-2011
Last Man Standing

I'm getting some great input across all the forums. And pretty much everyone has acknowledged the need for some training like this.

I've sent the link to the draft to Ron T. and Gary Jobson. We'll see what pans out.

Old 11-23-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
More posting to this point on SA: Puma (dismasted & heading to Tristan de Cuhna under power) had a scary time just transferring diesel from a containership. This is a fully crewed boat racing 'round the world with a hand-picked crew of very experienced sailors.

Last edited by paulk; 11-24-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-24-2011

neverknow is on a distinguished road
OK, I watched the vids at the beginning posted by the OP'er.

Something I do not understand is why so may are being lifted off of floating boats? I have crossed the Atlantic before (ok it was on a Navy ship) but I've always been told to not abandoned a boat that is floating. Sure there might be medical reasons but most of these vids show crews climbing up nets and ropes.

It kind of pisses me off to see healthy ppl calling to be removed from floating boats. Is it because they have insurance so they think what the hell I just F'ed up the rig and blew my sails to rags so why not cash in?????

Watching the boats just float away from these so called sailors is sickening.
Old 11-24-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverknow View Post
.......Is it because they have insurance so they think what the hell I just F'ed up the rig and blew my sails to rags so why not cash in????? ........
I don't think so, it is very hard to get insurance for an ocean crossing. People abandon boats out of terror. They believe they will die. They may be right, in some cases, even if the boat is floating.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-24-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
Videos may show boats floating as people are lifted off, but it can be hard for us to know if they're down a foot on their lines due to leaks they've been able to just barely keep ahead of. Waves also look small from a big ship's deck. Even smaller from an airplane, so conditions look "normal", not dangerous. If it's too bouncy for anyone to take a video, of course, then we don't see one A video of waves - no boat, because it sank - would not be of much interest, visually, and people's heads floating in the water without a boat wouldn't show up unless you had a really good telephoto lens with gyroscopic stabilizers to keep it focused on the victims.
So... we see pictures of people getting lifted off of floating boats.

Last edited by paulk; 11-24-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-01-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
I was really hoping Doug would have cooled off enough to assist with this. I haven't seen anything posted from him, but then again, I saw that he was banned. Smack, did he ever contact you with any input?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.