Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Just to let everybody know, Doug has been sent to camp for a couple of weeks. It is not a permanent ban.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
I was really hoping Doug would have cooled off enough to assist with this. I haven't seen anything posted from him, but then again, I saw that he was banned. Smack, did he ever contact you with any input?
Not yet. I've reached out a couple of times though. Maybe he'll cool off a bit and decide to help out. And I hope to see him around here some more. Dude's got stones.

Anyway, I'm putting the finishing touches on an article about the need for this type of training - as well as a presentation that could fit into the SAS curriculum and ISAF regs.

I've got some assistance by some guys that can make it happen if it's good enough. (And like there's any doubt it'll be good enough. I'm writing it!)

We'll see.

(Holy crap! Over 3500 views for this thread! That's cool.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-01-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2011

neverknow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Just to let everybody know, Doug has been sent to camp for a couple of weeks. It is not a permanent ban.
Doug is a perfect example of what I was talking about. He even said himself that he wishes he wouldn't have called for help and stayed on his boat longer.

I sometimes wonder if all the technology that we have these days gives skippers a easy way out. (or what they think is a easy way). Doug found out that the easy rescue he was expecting was not so easy. A skipper 25 yrs ago would have been forced to stay on his boat and save himself. In Doug's case looking back he probably would have.

If someone is in danger out at sea and they know that are alone with zero hope of rescued they will stay on the boat until it's completely gone. These days they can set off the EPIRP, and/or call for help on the SAT phone.

It wasn't all that long ago that there was no GPS so even if they could call for help via SSB they would not know within a 20 miles of where they were unless they could get a fix right than and there on the stars.
Old 12-02-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
@ Tdw I'm glad to hear it's only temporary. His comments and opinions prior to losing his composure were insightful.

@ Smack Man, you crack me up! I am glad to hear that positive things will come about from such a terrible event as Doug experienced.

@ Neverknow I partially disagree with you. I don't want to reopen here the discussion from another thread but Doug was not the one who initiallly wanted to abandon. It was his wife when she made him choose between her and the boat. I do agree that it appears that many of the rescues performed are from boats not in danger of sinking but I for one am not going to pass judgement on them. I have no idea whats going on with them at the time of the abandonment.

I have never been offshore on a small boat and I don't feel that over 5 years of sea time on a Carrier qualifies me to contribute much to this discussion, but I will say this; Through the course of researching boats and metally preparing myself for life as a future liveaboard and long distance cruiser, almost every book I've read tells readers that being prepared for the worst at sea is the best form of seamanship, the kind that will save your life. I agree with Neverknow that technology probably does give a person a perceived easy way out. But when you enter any number of crew into the equation, do you demand that they have the same stamina as yourself? How would you test that? Do you risk your relationship with that crewmember? That is exactly the situation in which Doug was placed and he made a decision. Everything discussed in the Triumph thread was in retrospect but it would be a tough call to make IMHO.

I sincerely hope that training on this type of situation becomes available. In that case, I think we will all owe some gratitude to Doug for stepping up and telling his story, regardless of the direction his thread went, and to Smack for taking the initiative to ensure that others are better prepared through training. Kudo's to you both!
eherlihy likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean101 For This Useful Post:
DougSabbag (01-24-2014)
Old 12-02-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Although this rescue was by professionals- it is awsome footage. Escpecially the helicopter pilot- after landing the craft ran out of fuel, 0 margin of error.
Situation Critical - S01E06 - Hell on High Water - YouTube
Old 02-09-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Another sobering tale:

Canadian sailors rescued from sinking ship in stormy Pacific - The Globe and Mail

And here's a video with the skipper of the boat:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...ue-hawaii.html

(Thanks to Jackdale who posted it in another thread.)

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-09-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Another sobering tale:

Canadian sailors rescued from sinking ship in stormy Pacific - The Globe and Mail

(Thanks to Jackdale who posted it in another thread.)
Grateful for their rescue despite being in the water for 90 minutes and their rescuer crushing and sinking their boat.

It restores my faith in humanity.
flyingwelshman and smackdaddy like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-09-2012
Last Man Standing

Interview with the rescued skipper (above). Very compelling story.

Old 02-09-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I don't think so, it is very hard to get insurance for an ocean crossing. People abandon boats out of terror. They believe they will die. They may be right, in some cases, even if the boat is floating.
I have not found it hard to get insurance - expensive, but not ridiculously so.
Old 02-10-2012

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Hmmmm... well it seems you are or you aren't

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture