Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011

UsailIbail! is on a distinguished road
'81 Samofa 4 cyl DQ45 Diesel

Hi all,

We just purchased a 42' steel ketch made in Holland in '81. It is a very well built boat... built to the top standards for the era, but last week it was one step away from the scrap yard! Enter yours truly. Crossing paths with this vessel is a life dream come true for me. It will be gutted out, new decks etc. but in the end a true world voyager. But the biggest mystery for me is the SAMOFA 4 cylinder DQ45 (also built in Holland). It looks in good shape but I have done a brief internet search and am dubious about the availability of parts. I am hoping to be able to use it after a rebuild but right now I don't know if that is possible (to find parts to rebuild) I have reasons to believe it has about 5,000 hrs on it without a rebuild but there is no way to know... the previous owner has passed away. I am hoping for some good news to follow up on but I am bracing myself for the worst. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. The boat will be on overland transport in a few days and I am not sure I drained the block well prior to it coming from Florida up to the frozen climate of Vermont... I am worried that I will freeze it up if I do not have it drained within a few hours if its arrival here.

Please! ANY details/leads would be appreciated.

No photos of engine available yet.

Sail on!

Jay

Last edited by UsailIbail!; 11-08-2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2011
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
look for drain plugs in the block, water cooled exhaust manifold, heat exchanger, oil cooler. transmission cooler . some old transmissions had a water drain in the case , drain the sea water pump, sea strainer and water lift muffler. don't forget the head & holding tank . i pump RV antifreeze through that and the fresh water system. drain fresh water tanks. look for anchor wash down pumps. i hope things will not freeze up on the way.
Old 11-12-2011

thank you very much! that's way more than we've done.... please keep suggestions coming, because we need all the help we can get!

thanks!
ebben
Old 11-12-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
I poked around Google and it looks like the Samofa diesel was a marinized tractor engine much like the diesel engine in our boat.

Mitsubishi took over the Samofa engine in 1980 according to this site:

MHI Equipment Europe BV - Corporate Information

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-12-2011

Does that mean that we can get parts thru Mitsubishi for Samofa engines?

ebben
Old 11-12-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsailIbail! View Post
Does that mean that we can get parts thru Mitsubishi for Samofa engines?

ebben
Possibly. I didn't look that far into it. You'll have to email or call a Mitsubishi dealer.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-12-2011
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
You bought a steel boat that was about to be scrapped? Then you say it's going to be gutted and new decks built? And it's going to be a world cruiser? Sorry, but wouldn't a new engine, driveline, genset, and other critical mechanical systems be the lesser of the very large expenses your about to start paying for? I can't begin to guess the cost of gutting a steel boat just to find 30 some years of rust! The refitting the new decks, then refitting the interior,

I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see photos of this project! Silly question was it surveyed?

May the restoration gods smile upon you! welcome to sailnet!

My boat is for sale.

Old 11-12-2011
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Usail,

Totally agree with Denise. I don't know what your experience level is but you might want some input from professional steel boat builders before sinking any more money into the project. I chipped a whole lot of rust while in the Navy Reserve, it grows everywhere, even places you can't get to. With all due respect, there may be a reason it was about to be scrapped?

Dabnis
Old 11-12-2011

The only reason it was about to be scrapped was because of an estate settlement... The lady selling it couldn't find a buyer so she was going scrap it instead. It was quickly surveyed and we were told that the hull was in EXCELLENT shape... my dad worked on world cup race boats, so I think he probably can figure this out!!

ebben
Old 11-12-2011
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsailIbail! View Post
The only reason it was about to be scrapped was because of an estate settlement... The lady selling it couldn't find a buyer so she was going scrap it instead. It was quickly surveyed and we were told that the hull was in EXCELLENT shape... my dad worked on world cup race boats, so I think he probably can figure this out!!

ebben
My apologies, I didn't know. Best of luck to you!!

Dabnis

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.