SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Is it bad luck to change a boats name ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/80692-bad-luck-change-boats-name.html)

curtisass 11-12-2011 08:30 AM

Is it bad luck to change a boats name ?

I just bought an old Flying Scot with the name "GHOST" on it.
I'm gonna repaint it this winter. I heard somewhere that it's bad
luck to change the name of a boat.. Don't know what i would
rename it but I would like to.
Any imput?

celenoglu 11-12-2011 08:39 AM

It is believed that renaming a boat is bad luck. This belief has its roots deep in ancient history. You can read some details here:

Renaming Your Boat - BoatSafe.com

ImASonOfaSailor 11-12-2011 08:40 AM

name Change

I think It's all a joke. But just incase. Get a bottle of wine. Say a prayer!! ,:)

DRFerron 11-12-2011 09:04 AM

I bought my first boat from a man who had to sell it because he had a lung removed and his wife was no longer interested in sailing. It was a trailer boat and he could no longer lift the mast by himself with just the one lung.

I renamed the boat and painted the hull what I later found out was an unlucky color. I went through the re-naming ceremony with champagne (which we drank instead of breaking).

Two years later the doctors found a golf ball-sized carcinoid tumor in my lung and I had to have two thirds of my lung removed. I discovered when I researched it that it is most common in women over 60 and that it appears for no known reason so it often goes un-diagnosed and the person dies from potassium deficiency. I was 20 years ahead of schedule.

When I woke up after that operation I was in the most pain I've ever experienced. The nurse told me what I felt was more extreme than even childbirth. How she knew I have no idea but not having given birth, I couldn't dispute it.

I figure the re-naming ceremony saved the other third of my lung.

Maybe it was changing the name or maybe it was changing the color. Maybe we're now just paranoid. We're on our second boat and just to be on the safe side, we kept the name and hull color. Fortunately we're just fine with both.

LarryandSusanMacDonald 11-12-2011 09:13 AM

It's Bad Luck to be Superstitious.

Here's my take on re-naming your boat, along with a re-naming ceremony, which is absolutely free and, as an added plus, has a double-your-money-back guarantee:

The Frugal Mariner: Re-Naming your boat

The Frugal Mariner -Choosing a Name for your boat.

Have fun with your new boat!

windward54 11-12-2011 09:18 AM

I'm on my fourth boat and changed the name on three of the boats. I have had a great time on all and never had any worse luck than anyone else around me. I just changed the name and used it as an opportunity to have a really good party

emoney 11-12-2011 09:25 AM

The way I see it, if you believe in "bad luck", then renaming your boat will be just that; bad luck.

On the other hand, if you don't believe in "luck" at all, then its an absolute time waster.

I'm from the camp that we make our own "luck".....and I'm crossing both my fingers and toes while I type this.

ArcherBowman 11-12-2011 11:44 AM

Oh - now it's never a time waster. It's a GREAT exercise in cheesy amateur theater and the consumption of good wine. I had a party for our "renaming ceremony." No time wasted at all. (Esp. because there was no wind, so I couldn't be sailing, anyway.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by emoney (Post 796125)
The way I see it, if you believe in "bad luck", then renaming your boat will be just that; bad luck.

On the other hand, if you don't believe in "luck" at all, then its an absolute time waster.

I'm from the camp that we make our own "luck".....and I'm crossing both my fingers and toes while I type this.

centaursailor 11-12-2011 11:46 AM

I,m not particularly superstitious but probably would not have bought Aurora if I hadnt liked the name.
Safe sailing

mgmhead 11-12-2011 01:00 PM

If you have a name you like, use it. Use it as often as you wish, but as for me, no II or III or IV please. My boat's name is Rhythm, so was my last. Don't anticipate purchasing another boat and don't have a clue what it's name might be, but Rhythm is a strong contender.

As for renaming? I believe in blessings more than luck (though I happily accept both) and I only have one God. Several dock mates, upon seeing me changing the graphics on my current sailboat, mentioned the necessity of a renaming ceremony to appease the gods Neptune and Poseidon. My reply was that while I'd heard of those guys, I'd talked it over with my Lord and he was just fine with what I was doing. We still had drinks to celebrate but none was poured into the water.

Suggest you do whatever your heart tells...that's what I did.